Vegas

CBS TV series VegasNetwork: CBS
Episodes: 21 (hour)
Seasons: One

TV show dates: September 25, 2012 — May 10, 2013
Series status: Cancelled

Performers include: Dennis Quaid, Michael Chiklis, Carrie-Anne Moss, Jason O’Mara, and Taylor Handley.

TV show description:
This TV series is based on the true story of former Las Vegas Sheriff Ralph Lamb (Dennis Quaid), a fourth-generation rancher tasked with bringing order to Las Vegas in the 1960s. It’s a gambling and entertainment mecca that’s emerging from the tumbleweeds.

Ralph Lamb wants to be left in peace to run his ranch, but Las Vegas is now swelling with outsiders and corruption which are intruding on his simple life. Recalling Lamb’s command as a military police officer during World War II, the Mayor appeals to his sense of duty to look into a murder of a casino worker.

This begins Lamb’s clash with Vincent Savino (Michael Chiklis), a ruthless Chicago gangster who’s moved West and plans to make Vegas his own. (The character is based on real-life crime boss Marcello Giuseppe Caifano.)

Lamb has two deputies who help him keep law and order. His diplomatic and even-keeled brother is Deputy Jack Lamb (Jason O’Mara). Deputy Dixon Lamb (Taylor Handley) is his charming but impulsive son.

The ambitious Assistant District Attorney, Katherine O’Connell (Carrie-Anne Moss), grew up on the ranch next to the Lambs and also lends a hand in preserving justice.

Series Finale:
Episode #21 — Sons of Nevada
After Porter Gainsley’s bombing of the Tumbleweed and attempt on Katherine’s life, Lamb and Savino decide to team up to take out their common adversary once and for all. To prove his commitment to the task, Lamb hands over the tapes with the recordings from the bug in Savino’s phone, and then the mobster and former sheriff get to planning their assault on Gainsley.

Since the ranching mogul is too heavily protected at his home, they decide to target him at a livestock auction, but that plan goes awry when Dixon shows up and holds Gainsley at gunpoint. A firefight breaks out and Lamb is forced to save his son and flee, giving Gainsley time to regroup and amass more artillery for the coming war.

When Jack is ousted as interim Sheriff by more of Gainsley’s men, he and Dixon join forces with Lamb and Savino, and together they craft a plan that involves using Jones the hitman to put Gainsley in a corner. Jones plays his part well and leads Gainsley and his thugs into a trap, where Lamb gives him his freedom as a reward.

After an intense firefight, Lamb gets the drop on Gainsley and decides to arrest him instead of killing him, setting the proper example for his son and staying true to his morals.

In the end, Lamb gets his Sheriff job back, putting him at odds with Savino and his plans for growth in Vegas yet again.

Meanwhile, Jack plans to propose to Mia, but his plans are derailed when she breaks up with him after finding out about the bug he planted in Savino’s phone.

Tommy pursues Mia even harder, and the two wind up spending the night together. After Gainsley is taken into custody, Jack goes to Mia’s place to fight for her, but is crushed when he discovers Tommy there with her — in nothing but a bath robe.
First aired: May 10, 2013

What do you think? Do you like the Vegas TV series? Do you think it should have been cancelled or renewed for a second season?

Canceled and renewed TV show

1,873 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Susan Osvald says

Vegas had us hooked from the first episode because of the wonderful characters. “Mia” is beautiful; the prettiest, smartest female character on any series currently. The Lamb family men are interesting and ruggedly handsome. Nothing about the show was boring or predictable. We care about the characters and want to see what happens to them next season. CBS should not cancel Vegas.

2. Becky says

This is why I have vowed not to give another new CBS show the time of day. This was the last straw. I can’t believe CBS is renewing the steaming piles of crap that are Two and a Half Men, the Mentalist – Survivor (dear God make it stop), The Amazing Race (see previous sentiment), Undercover Boss (lame lame lame) and has renewed for who knows what season Hawaii Five-O – seriously? – but only gives the one really good new show they have come up with (since Blue Bloods and Elementary) one freaking season and then axed it? I think CBS sucks. Sucks I say. Sucks sucks sucks. Did I mention CBS sucks?

• Spaceflightengineer says

I agree with all you state, except regarding “The Mentalist”. CBS can take every one of their ass-flavored reality shows and cram them……sideways. Cancelling Vegas is so moronic, I fully expect them to suddenly can Elementary too.

3. Barbara Heap says

Unbelievable CBS cancelled this series. As I wrote before when it was announced it was being cancelled, it was my favorite. It was a quality series, not all this trash the networks seem to be fond of airing. I guess I’ll have to go back to the channels that air the old TV series, when watching TV was fun and interesting. I am really not interested in watching trash and moronic series. I hope another network picks it up and shows CBS what a huge mistake they made or maybe they are incapable of knowing what a quality series is.

4. Kathy says

I will never understand why Vegas was cancelled. Blue Bloods, Good Wife and Vegas were my favorite shows on T.V. I’m so sick of these stupid reality shows. None of these have any true stories. I was so fond of the actors. I do hope that another network picks it up!!!!!

5. Sandy parks says

I really enjoyed Vegas, it was one of my favorites. Who ever made the decision to cancel it should be fired. I hope another network picks this show up! I’m really upset with CBS!

6. Suzanne says

I can’t believe CBS would cancel a show as good as Vegas. It is such a shame to invest in a show and its characters to only have it cancelled and leave the viewers hanging after ONE season. There is so much “junk” on TV and this was show was based upon LV history and real life character Sheriff Lamb. The writing and the actors were great. All it does for me is make me NOT want to watch any new shows in the future on any network because the networks do not appear to care about their viewers so why bother to get involved in yet again another show only to have it cancelled and be replaced by some silly or trashy sitcom. The network’s judgment is poor at best regarding this particular show. Why do you want to continue to torture us with more and more of these reality shows and take away good drama? Makes no sense to me. I’m disappointed.

7. Elizabeth says

Vegas has been a favorite at our house! It got hurt in our area by college basketball tournament schedules but that wasn’t its fault. We’ll miss the characters and style.
    Without it we’ll slide further away from watching television.
    When you get a good one like ‘Vegas’ it’s smart to make it a Keeper.

8. says

I hated to see the series end for the following reasons. The set design was excellent. it brought back memories of what LV looked like before it became cement city. The on again off again situation with jack and Mia could have been tweaked a little more and in itself created a few more plots to the series. She might have seen the writing on the wall and turned into a witness from the state and her and Jack could have rode off into the sunset. There were a lot more plots they could have for Vincent maybe the Chicago boys put a hit on him and he had to scramble. A few plots with Oscar Goldman could have been exploited. Just a few ideas to keep the show running

9. BARBARA MACKAY says

WHAT A SHAME!!! SUCH A GOOD SHOW. Was really looking forward to a second season! Great characters too. There are SO MANY OTHERS THEY COULD HAVE CANCELLED INSTEAD. This was a good one!!! Everyone fit their part too. Way too many Reality Shows to suit me. This was one show I really looked forward to each week!! Shame on CBS for not recognizing a hit and allowing it to grow.

10. Bonnie Morris says

I loved VEGAS. Why CBS canceled this show is well beyond me. I agree with many of the previous comments in that it is a great show. It has great character studies and well thought out story lines. My husband and I both cared about the characters in this show and feel badly that it is to be cancelled. CBS should reconsider this move.

11. Lisa says

Vegas is a show my husband and I look forward to every week. We just love the characters and the show’s sizzle and toughness. It highlights American strength and weakness as well as family ties and honor. There are so few shows that rely on storyline and incredible acting to bring you in. It seems to be all about gruesome shock value, sex, and unreal reality shows. If given the chance, this could have been one of the great ones. We are very disappointed with CBS.