Veronica Mars: Rob Thomas Gives a Movie Update

Veronica MarsVeronica Mars ran for three seasons; two on UPN and the last on the CW. The show revolves around a young teen detective who solves both large and small cases. The series stars Kristen Bell in the title role and also features the talents of Percy Daggs III, Jason Dohring, Francis Capra, Enrico Colantoni, Ryan Hansen, Teddy Dunn, Michael Muhney, Tina Majorino, and Brandon Hillock.

Shortly after the CW cancelled Veronica Mars, series creator Rob Thomas said that he wanted to continue the show’s story as a movie. Bell was on board, as was show executive producer Joel Silver. Unfortunately, the project hasn’t been made and it doesn’t look like that’s going to change.

At the recent TCA press tour, Futon Critic’s Brian Ford Sullivan asked Thomas about the movie. He said, “I would write it if anyone would finance it. If anyone’s interested in making that movie I am available, Kristen’s [Bell] available. I would love to do it. I think the closest we came was Joel [Silver] pushing it at Warner Bros. and they didn’t bite. It has sort of gone away.”

Thomas also mentioned that Bell misspoke when, in a previous interview, she said that he had a script ready to go. He said, “I have a treatment, I don’t have a script. So she shouldn’t have jumped the gun on that but I am ready to write a script.”

What do you think? Do you think a Veronica Mars feature film will ever happen? Should it be a TV movie instead?

Emily July 16, 2010 at 4:33 am

I say make the movie! I think they owe it to us, there is no end to the show and that is really upsetting. I actually cried when I saw the last episode because I didn’t want to believe that it was the end. This show is one of the best and it should be worth while to make it a movie or another season. Whatever takes to at least end it the way it should have ended.

amy July 12, 2010 at 9:39 am

I am desperate for more Veronica Mars. Go movie go! This show is incredibly well written and the cast just runs with it. I am 36 (when the hell did that happen?) and still find it compelling, insightful and entertaining despite the high school/college setting. It speaks to my past, present and future and I would love to see more. Make it happen Hollywood!

vasiti June 28, 2010 at 4:54 pm

im here in new zealand and i am dying to have an ending to this TV series thats got me hooked…!!!!!

i just started watching it again because i’d miss an episode… got the whole season, 1 2 & 3.

just starting off with season 3 but im guessing it will be an unfinished ending… please Rob, we’re so hooked on this amazing tv series that i think we all need an ending, a good one. please!

Dane June 14, 2010 at 9:53 am

I think it’s too late now. I don’t see it happenning.
Miss my season1-veronica.

Maurina June 13, 2010 at 3:14 pm

I agree with Missingmars: TV Movie, straight-to-DVD, full-length feature film, miniseries – WHATEVER. I would absolutely love to see one last VM story, in any form.

VĂ© March 17, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Pllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeease make the movie! *cries*

Callasyndra March 11, 2010 at 7:46 pm

I just started watching and am totally hooked on the series – bought the boxed set and am anxiously awaiting season 3. Closure would be really really nice…would prefer a movie to comics, but I’ll take what I can get :)

Cynthia March 11, 2010 at 10:21 am

Mars is not my cut of tea, I’d rather see FLASH POINT. Please keep it on the air and on DVD for the fans.
Blessing, Cynthia

Missingmars March 8, 2010 at 11:33 pm

Seriously. Straight to DVD movie-TV movie-WHATEVER! Have Rob flush out his treatment and let’s get it made!!!

Missingmars March 5, 2010 at 11:33 pm

A girl needs closure!

Rosie February 28, 2010 at 5:55 am

I just LOVE it. I Went complitly crazy when it stoped. I really want the movie to come out of that they continue the series. It’s my favorite series !
Please make the movie ! xx

Fernanda February 27, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Nadine…. lol i think the same if a won the lottery i finance the movie i’m sure the all the fans goes to see!!!! in the facebook is a group to support the that produce the movie!

Fernanda February 27, 2010 at 3:27 pm

i hope that make the movie the fans needs a ending

Nadine February 26, 2010 at 4:51 pm

This alongside Lost are my favourite TV shows ever made. The show should have ran for at least 5 seasons, and ended way too early. No matter what people say about the ratings they were consistent which proved that anybody who watched the show recognised how great it was. I think they should try and re show them for a new audience, but if anything else were to be made it would actually make my life. I’m from the UK and it was given a poor slot on a non terrestrial channel but I watched it religiously. PLEASE MAKE A MOVIE! SOMEONE JUST FINANCE IT! I only want to win the lottery just so I can finance this movie…

Jill February 24, 2010 at 1:49 pm

I still have my fingers crossed that this movie gets made. The show had it all, amazing story lines and a great cast. If you haven’t seen it I suggest watching season 1 in sequence. You will not be disappointed.