Veronica Mars: Update on the Movie’s Chances

Veronica MarsNot unlike the puzzles that a certain teen detective has solved, the possibility of a Veronica Mars movie is somewhat of a mystery. Will it ever be written? Even more importantly, will a studio actually back a film based on a little-watched TV show? It won’t take a “Nancy Drew” to solve this one, just a writer that can’t seem to get this character out of his head.

Veronica Mars is the longtime pet project of series creator Rob Thomas. It began as a young adult novel, with a male teen detective as the main character. After writing other projects for television (Dawson’s Creek, Cupid), Thomas developed it as a series with a female protagonist and Kristen Bell in the starring role. Other series performers include Enrico Colantoni, Percy Daggs III, Jason Dohring, Francis Capra, Ryan Hansen, Teddy Dunn, Michael Muhney, Tina Majorino, Brandon Hillock, Kyle Gallner, Tessa Thompson, Julie Gonzalo, Chris Lowell, Daran Norris, Duane Daniels, Harry Hamlin, and Amanda Seyfried.

As the show begins, we learn that Veronica had been a popular high school student, living with her father, Sheriff Keith Mars, in the fictional town of Neptune, CA. Her best friend, Lilly, was murdered, and Sheriff Mars accused Lilly’s father. The town turned against Mars and ousted him in a recall election. He opened up his own detective agency and her mother inexplicably left town. With a little help from her friends, Veronica began solving mysteries, both big and small.

Would you watch a Veronica Mars movie?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Though the show’s ratings were never very high, Veronica Mars was still a cult hit. It barely escaped being cancelled twice. When it looked like the show might be cancelled the third time, Thomas filmed a mini-pilot for season four. It featured a slightly-older Veronica working as an FBI agent. The network didn’t buy it and the show was cancelled after three years.

Thomas didn’t give the series a finite ending and said that he wanted to continue the show in some form, possibly as a feature film. Thomas’ schedule quickly filled up with work, most notably a new version of ABC’s Cupid, and he couldn’t find the time to work on a Veronica movie.

Not long ago, ABC decided to reduce its Cupid episode order, from 13 installments to eight. That left Thomas with a little time on his hands. As he told E!, “What that means for me is that I have a couple of months to write the Veronica Mars movie.”

While fans might expect the movie to revolve around Veronica solving crimes with the FBI, Thomas reveals that the script will find the sleuth on the cusp of graduating from Hearst College. And though he hasn’t actually written the script yet, he does have most of the plot points worked out on the dry-erase board at his house.

Bell has consistently expressed interest in doing a Veronica movie and Thomas says that he’s also talked to both costars Colantoni and Dohring.

The next step is for Thomas to secure funding for the movie. As Thomas says, series producer “Joel Silver does have a certain pile of money that he can decide on, and he called me asking, ‘Can we do this now?’”

Of course, he’ll still have to pitch his story idea to Silver and Warner Bros. execs. Thomas plans to do that very soon but tells EW, “It’s entirely possible I won’t have an answer at the end of the pitch… They will want to consider [the pitch], look at some numbers — whatever it is people on the business side do — and then they’ll give me some sort of response. Then, if they want to move forward, there’s the deal-making that’ll need to go on.”

Will the Veronica Mars movie actually be made? Unfortunately, the answer to that question will have to remain a mystery for a little while longer.

nikki February 27, 2011 at 7:56 pm

please please please let them make this movie…im so loving logan; i want to see more of him and this show deserves a proper ending for the fans

kelly October 12, 2010 at 12:20 am

i would love to see a movie more than anything!

phea October 8, 2010 at 8:40 am

PLEASE GIVE VERONICA MARS THE ENDING IT SHOULD HAVE, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE HOW THE EPIC LOVE STORY COMES TO AN END!!!

Josekun May 13, 2010 at 11:53 am

OF P.M. would a Movie of VerĂ³nica Mars.

Missingmars March 5, 2010 at 11:46 pm

What I wouldn’t give to see that dry-erase board….

I want to see this “epic” love story come to its fruition. Oh, somebody, please please listen. I’ll take anything!

Jeff September 25, 2009 at 5:47 am

I just, last night, finished watching the last episode of Veronica Mars. I had never seen a single show before this and had heard very little about the series. I don’t really know what possessed me to buy all three seasons a few months ago, other then the boxed set’s were on sale for $14.99 each. I took a chance, and like the very pleasant surprise I got when I purchased and watched Northern Exposure for the first time, I was more then pleasantly surprised again. This, for me at least, turned out to be very well written and produced series. The story lines kept you moving quickly through each episode and the cliff hangers kept me coming back quickly to see what was going to happen next. I started watching the first episode on this past Monday night and finished all 3 seasons last night, 3 days later. I was really disappointed when it left me hanging the way it did.

I really don’t know how the decisions are made to keep or cancel a series, but like so many others in the past several years, the network used very poor judgment when they canceled Veronica Mars, at least without wrapping it up properly. Why spend the time and money to keep a show on for three years and then let it go with no real conclusion. It’s like the Florida Marlin’s have 9 games left, with a very slight chance at a wild card birth, but the owner is too cheap to spend the money to get a good closer from a non contention team, which, I am sure has left not so much a very good taste in the players mouths. It’s hard for a player to do his best when the important people behind him don’t believe in him! Sorry, I digress.

I am 62 and partially disabled and watch a lot of TV and regular TV programs just keep letting us down. So many good shows bit the dust over the last few years and I think the major networks will pay for it, not in the long run, but soon.

A Veronica Mars movie would be great, but a season 4 would have been much better, like additional seasons of Life, Cupid, The Unit, Life on Mars, Dirty Sexy Money, and the Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles, would have been. I know it is too late, other then a movie to wrap this up, but I do hope the people in power will look hard at what they do before making more rash moves in the future. Thanks for letting me vent.

Jeff Morris
Jeffm200@aol.com

Sarah September 15, 2009 at 8:23 am

Please o Please!!!!!!!!!!!!
I’d so watch it!
Especially if Jason Dohring is in it! Get rid of Piz….she so isn’t meant to be with him!

jess August 8, 2009 at 10:45 pm

Yes, they should. I’d watch it; it was the last good show on tv.

C.M July 7, 2009 at 11:08 pm

Yes Bring it back for the love of all good T.V!!!!!