Veronica Mars: Was that Really the Series Finale?

Veronica Mars - ready for a fight?Satisfied by last night’s series finale of Veronica Mars? Few were. Heck, even though CW officially cancelled the series last week, even they couldn’t bring themselves to call it anything more than a season finale.

Veronica Mars creator Rob Thomas took a gamble when he was scripting the season-ender months ago. He knew there was a chance that the show wouldn’t be renewed but reportedly didn’t want to make it easy for the network to pull the plug at the last minute. They did anyway.

Though CW head Dawn Ostroff said last week that Thomas and Veronica herself, Kristen Bell, might do a new series for the network, that seems like a slim chance at best. Prior to Ostroff’s comment, Thomas didn’t know anything about it and later said, “I assume that anything Dawn would be talking about in the realm of a Rob-Kristen project would involve a new from-scratch pilot as they don’t have me in a deal, and they’ll lose Kristen in a couple of weeks” (when her contract expires).

So, will we ever see Veronica and the residents of Neptune again? Maybe. TV Guide’s Michael Aussiello has reported that Thomas is interested in doing a film version of Veronica Mars. In an email, Thomas said, “I’m not entirely sure how/when VM would’ve ended, but I wouldn’t discount my taking a stab at a feature script. But I’m not sure if I could sell a movie based on a little-watched TV series.”

This sort of big screen evolution isn’t unheard of (The X-Files, Firefly/Serenity, Star Trek, etc.) but it’s certainly not the norm either. If a feature film isn’t realistic, fans at least deserve a TV-movie wrap up.

The final outcome will likely have a lot to do with how intent fans are about seeing their heroine return. It looks like the fans of Jericho are making a big impact and Mars fans are certainly no strangers to mounting campaigns. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Leanna October 21, 2010 at 11:14 am

I would love to see a movie made to finalize everything cause series finale sucked to high heavens. Sex and City did it Veronica Mars could too and would have more of a story line then that stupid show. I vote Please make a movie!!!!!

Jamus July 25, 2007 at 9:16 pm

The series finale was the best episode in the whole season, I’m just so devastated this is the last episode we’ll see.

Megan June 15, 2007 at 2:39 pm

since today June 15th is it still true that VM is cancelled? Plus did that shippment make it to its destination? Please don’t let it be true it gone.

Shantelle June 1, 2007 at 2:44 pm

As a faithful fan of Veronica Mars and owner of the past 2 seasons. I feel we were cheated out of the best show on air. I personally will not be watching any other CW show. I would LOVE to see a movie version of Veronica Mars. I was not satified with the ending of the show. I WANT MORE!!!

Beth May 26, 2007 at 7:58 am

I would LOVE to see more of Veronica Mars!! My dad and I used to watch every episode together and it was a really special thing to do, it was also an AMAZING series!!

Jerry Monaco May 25, 2007 at 9:11 am

What ever else the closing sequence was beautiful and appropriate. Our noir heroine walks off in the rain.

Jerry

Spadada May 24, 2007 at 7:44 pm

I was very happy with the season three finale. I thought it was one of the best episodes of VM ever actually and a perfect way to end the series. In my opinion, you can’t “tie up” an epic story like this. Better to leave it open-ended with Veronica introduced to a new fearsome adversary, Keith sacrificing his career for his daughter’s, and an invigorated and bloody Logan smirking at death.

Weevil is contemplating crime, Vinnie Van Lowe is about to become sheriff, and everybody is gossiping about Veronica Mars. Neptune as messed up as it ever was and that’s how I want to remember it.

WolvenSpectre May 23, 2007 at 5:09 pm

I certainly wasn’t satisfied, until you said it was the Series finale I thought that there had to be at least one more episode to wrap some stuff up before the attempt at the FBI Scenario.

I hope they do do a one shot to wrap up this part of the timeline and then at least try to do the movie. If they start the movie in the FBI years, they can bring new fans to the movie, and they don’t have to market it off of the show either.

Firefly did that but with the ties to the series being so tight the new viewers were left out of allot.

All VM has to do is present good story about a beautiful and smart new FBI agent that is being underestimated when in reality, as the movie progresses you find out she has more experience than some of her bosses.