Weeds: Cancelled; No Season Nine

Showtime's Weeds endingIt’s time to say goodbye to Weeds. The Mary-Louise Parker series has been cancelled by Showtime. The upcoming eighth season, which premieres next month, will be the show’s last.

The announcement doesn’t come as much of a surprise. Weeds’ future was looking uncertain before the show was renewed for season eight and many suspected that the upcoming 13 installments would be the TV series’ last.

Showtime entertainment president David Nevins tells EW, “There were two shows, Weeds and Dexter, that really got Showtime taken seriously for cutting-edge original programming… How they get brought home is really important. In this case, both for the sake of the two women behind the show [series creator Jenji Kohan and Golden Globe-winning star Mary-Louise Parker] and an audience that’s really invested in the show. TV fans love nothing better than to complain about how shows end and we really want to end this one the right way.”

Kohan says that she’s sad about the show coming to a close but appreciates the opportunity to wrap things up. She hasn’t decided how to end the series just yet, saying, “We wrack our brains every year for crazy cliffhangers and we’re trying to figure out how to top ourselves.”

She noted, “I’m so proud of what we do here and that it’s about a strong woman lead who’s really flawed… We get to do comedy right up against drama, which a lot of shows don’t get the opportunity to do.”

The final season of Weeds premieres on Sunday, July 1st, at 10pm. The assassination attempt cliffhanger will quickly be resolved and there will be a time jump and a return to the suburbs. What happens after that remains to be seen.

What do you think? Will you be sad to see Weeds go or has the series already been on too long?

paulo March 15, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Weed is one of thr best series I’ve seen, I wosh they coulf keep coming out with moreseasons :)))

Laurie D. March 12, 2013 at 9:31 pm

I miss watching weeds, this is why I hate getting deep into such an amazing series like weeds and then out of know where the show have to end . Please give us back weeds like now in 2013, I believe we all would love it.

deborah March 9, 2013 at 8:14 am

I have watched all seasons within 2 months time and totally hooked…maybe like the product…..lol as long as the product is around, so should be the show….

fede March 9, 2013 at 1:36 am

I fucking love this show, how could they cancell it?, i thought there wouldve had a 9th season :s

Alexandra March 6, 2013 at 2:25 pm

I really like show I’m very addicted to it!! It to me is pretty realistic if there was a woman with worse luck then me it would have to be Nancy botwin!! Even though I’m not a drug dealer not does my life resemble hers in any way other then having bad luck but because of that the show really talks to me and I’m extremely sad to hear it’s coming to an end

rebekah March 4, 2013 at 3:12 am

I agree on everyone’s comments may be far behind, but once hooked I couldn’t stop and now that there is nothing left for me to watch I’m dissatisfied, I felt like part of the family and want to know how they go on and how you missed parts between episodes to actually tell us what was going on was upsetting it was a great show that will be missed.

william March 3, 2013 at 6:46 am

Please keep the show going or even keep putting out the dvds i have them all i love this show it makes me happy please keep it going or make a movie

Samatha February 26, 2013 at 10:15 am

I was n still hooked on the show ‘Weeds’. It is an amazingly well done series. The boys (Botwin boys) grew up so handsome. Thank you Showtime.However, I wish the show didn’t go away.

Marisa February 24, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Totally gutted I love weeds

beba February 23, 2013 at 11:28 pm

weeds is an amazing show must keep it going have a lot of fans voting to keep it going

Anonymous February 21, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Weeds was a show that relaxes me. I love it because it’s REAL.
Everything that Nancy (Mary Louise Parker) did it was for her sons.
Any mother would fight until the end for her children. I’m mother and I understand
Nancy’s plight in the show. Please KEEP WEEDS GOING!

angelo February 20, 2013 at 12:38 pm

ITS TOO AMAZING TO STOP!
(WEEDS FANS FROM ITALY)

Anonymous February 20, 2013 at 12:33 pm

pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeese more weeds!!!!!!!

Hachi February 19, 2013 at 7:56 pm

I CANT LIVE WITHOUT WEEDS ITS TO AMAZING TO LOSE….:(

brian February 18, 2013 at 11:58 pm

This sucks weeds is by far the best show ive ever seen its soo amazing and i loveeee it so sad to see it go