Weeds: Cancelled; No Season Nine

Showtime's Weeds endingIt’s time to say goodbye to Weeds. The Mary-Louise Parker series has been cancelled by Showtime. The upcoming eighth season, which premieres next month, will be the show’s last.

The announcement doesn’t come as much of a surprise. Weeds’ future was looking uncertain before the show was renewed for season eight and many suspected that the upcoming 13 installments would be the TV series’ last.

Showtime entertainment president David Nevins tells EW, “There were two shows, Weeds and Dexter, that really got Showtime taken seriously for cutting-edge original programming… How they get brought home is really important. In this case, both for the sake of the two women behind the show [series creator Jenji Kohan and Golden Globe-winning star Mary-Louise Parker] and an audience that’s really invested in the show. TV fans love nothing better than to complain about how shows end and we really want to end this one the right way.”

Kohan says that she’s sad about the show coming to a close but appreciates the opportunity to wrap things up. She hasn’t decided how to end the series just yet, saying, “We wrack our brains every year for crazy cliffhangers and we’re trying to figure out how to top ourselves.”

She noted, “I’m so proud of what we do here and that it’s about a strong woman lead who’s really flawed… We get to do comedy right up against drama, which a lot of shows don’t get the opportunity to do.”

The final season of Weeds premieres on Sunday, July 1st, at 10pm. The assassination attempt cliffhanger will quickly be resolved and there will be a time jump and a return to the suburbs. What happens after that remains to be seen.

What do you think? Will you be sad to see Weeds go or has the series already been on too long?

Canceled and renewed TV show

331 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. says

I absolutely loved every season of weeds!!! All the cast did an amazing job loved them all!!! So devistating that there won’t be anymore wanted to see Nancy and Andy together please make another season with them together!!!!!

2. Justin Bertelsen says

Weeds is hands down my favorite tv show! I started the show towards the last few seasons and have loved every episode of it. But i am sad that the show is coming to an end so soon. This group of actors and actresses, directors to light techs, has out together hands down one of the best shows on television! I thank anyone and everyone that help make this show so awesome! And FYI Andy’s my favorite character, but they are all rock stars!

3. Patrick says

I hate to see it end. I have enjoyed it from the beginning. Cheers went 11 seasons. Friends. Frasier. This is definitely worth a couple more seasons. I will miss it. I wish they had brought Elizabeth Perkins back in the final season. That poor woman went through hell. If nothing else, we need a ninth season to see what happened to her. What happened to her team? I’ll miss all of them.

4. paula r. says

i watched all the seasons of weeds and am highly upset that there will be no more seasons. i’m one of those people that stays in the house and watch shows on there particular day i have one for every day of the week and seasons and i JUST YOU YOU TO COME BACK MY LOVE!!!

5. cynthia perrine says

I am a new Weeds viewer because I couldn’t afford to have Sho Time. Comcast let me
    have a free six month trial and OMG, I love this series so much. Mary Louise Parker is the best, funny, serious, quirky, sexy, strong and always entertaining. Of course along with Kevin Nealon, he is just hysterical. I am watching all the seasons and skipped forward to the last, season 8. I am so hooked, I just can’t wait for each episode. I do realize that all good things come to an end, but maybe they could have another reunion episode with
    Nancy and Andy together and their new life in wherever. Shame comes back from rehab
    and his life as a cop. It could go on and on, however, it could also become old, so leave as it is, The best series ever!!!! Cynthia Perrone Lowell Ma

6. Anonymous says

I may be behind. I watch on Netflix an Hulu. I adore this show. So addicted Good Luck to Mary Louise. a very talented actress.

7. Anonymous says

This is the first show that I’ve ever looked forward to watching each episode. Please bring it back. There’s so much more that can still be done with it , endless possibilities.

8. Anonymous says

Great show, I’m sure if they brought it back people wouldn’t be disappointed. They did a pretty decent job of closing things up nice and easily, but the story could easily be revived.

9. Keyanna C. says

I wanna say how amazing the show is… Speechless!!! How could you NOT love this show. Even though, I couldn’t act. I still wanna be in one episode, or sing the theme song!! I’ve seen season 1-7 about twenty times and never get sick of it. Finally watched season 8. I need more!!!! Please! Please! PLEASE, BRING WEEDS BACK!!!