Weeds: Cancelled; No Season Nine

Showtime's Weeds endingIt’s time to say goodbye to Weeds. The Mary-Louise Parker series has been cancelled by Showtime. The upcoming eighth season, which premieres next month, will be the show’s last.

The announcement doesn’t come as much of a surprise. Weeds’ future was looking uncertain before the show was renewed for season eight and many suspected that the upcoming 13 installments would be the TV series’ last.

Showtime entertainment president David Nevins tells EW, “There were two shows, Weeds and Dexter, that really got Showtime taken seriously for cutting-edge original programming… How they get brought home is really important. In this case, both for the sake of the two women behind the show [series creator Jenji Kohan and Golden Globe-winning star Mary-Louise Parker] and an audience that’s really invested in the show. TV fans love nothing better than to complain about how shows end and we really want to end this one the right way.”

Kohan says that she’s sad about the show coming to a close but appreciates the opportunity to wrap things up. She hasn’t decided how to end the series just yet, saying, “We wrack our brains every year for crazy cliffhangers and we’re trying to figure out how to top ourselves.”

She noted, “I’m so proud of what we do here and that it’s about a strong woman lead who’s really flawed… We get to do comedy right up against drama, which a lot of shows don’t get the opportunity to do.”

The final season of Weeds premieres on Sunday, July 1st, at 10pm. The assassination attempt cliffhanger will quickly be resolved and there will be a time jump and a return to the suburbs. What happens after that remains to be seen.

What do you think? Will you be sad to see Weeds go or has the series already been on too long?

Jennifer April 1, 2013 at 9:17 pm

I love Weeds! Why would you cancel it? So many people watch it all the time! If I can’t watch it right away, it is definitely recorded so when I get home I can play it and keep up with it! Make a season 9, 10, 11, 12, etc! Don’t let this be the end of a wonderful thing!

Susan April 1, 2013 at 9:49 am

NOOOOOO, I just watched the very last episode and cried !!!! I don’t want this to be over…WAAAAAA

Anonymous March 31, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Season 9,10,11,12…………u get the picture this show is the shit!

judy March 31, 2013 at 12:21 am

Rethink this thru! Weeds! Weeds! Weeds! The Audience loves this show!

judy March 30, 2013 at 11:50 pm

I really want to thank Production as well the cast. Weeds is Definitely 1 of the most incredible and brilliant shows of all time. Thanks to Showtimpe, cast, Producers, for all there hard work. But I’m Extremely devastated that there will never be another season.

Alyssa williams March 30, 2013 at 2:34 am

Im sooo sooooooooo mad and sad weeds is ending. I abs lovethat show!! I really wish they would bring it back bc i believe the ratings would remain enough! :( jus really sad its over.

Anonymous March 31, 2013 at 1:25 am

Show time have made a ” huge mistake” canceling weeds, don’t they listen to their viewers, apparently not… It’s rare a series with this much reality and depth come along, only to be extinguished by people wh re so disconnected. Shame on showtime, I hope they regret it for a long time.

nick reedy April 21, 2013 at 1:34 am

on the other hand, they ended the series perfectly. sure they could drag it out, but why. i respect the director and company alot for caring more about a good story with a meanjngful ending.

octavia ballard March 28, 2013 at 5:51 pm

And at that stevie is coming to my state minnesota i want to see what happens but if weeds is really cancelled i know another series will come out

octavia ballard March 28, 2013 at 5:35 pm

I am really sad. I just found out today that my boyfriend and i number one show weeds has been cancelled. I mean what happens with shane? What about the baby brother what are his actions after finding out about his dad and the privateschool. Some things some of us are clueless on and i know a lot of people who tuned in for weeds. I hope you guys as well as showtime change your minds on this matter. Its a great show that had a great run but we want and would like more. :)

LeeAnn March 28, 2013 at 12:55 am

Soooop sad to see weeds go. .. its my fv show! Why exactly is it going off the air again? I mean seriously why do they take good shows off the air? ?

Brenna March 27, 2013 at 6:05 pm

NO. I AM IN LOVE WITH THIS SHOW AND KNOW MANY OTHERS THAT ARE TOO. WE NEED WEEDS BACK. PLEASE. :(

Kyle March 27, 2013 at 7:22 am

Season 9!!!

Alissa March 27, 2013 at 1:19 am

Been traveling the world, so I’ve been a bit outta date… but I personally haven’t enjoyed a TV show since the early 90’s …KEEP WEEDS GOING! It’s a great show that has brought friends together to enjoy for many years now! Fans will watch this show on whatever channel, at whatever time if it stays alive :)

jason March 26, 2013 at 3:15 am

Need season nine. Love this show.

judy March 31, 2013 at 12:23 am

How can dey jus take another great show? I’m Devastated

Melody March 25, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Please don’t end weeds! I feel like their distant family. Have them endure and survive a possible zombie apocalypse from some crazy dank strain.

Jasmine March 24, 2013 at 8:32 pm

My boyfriend and I LOVE Weeds! Its definitely the one of the best shows on tv and I’m so sad to see it go.. WE NEED A SEASON 9!