Weeds: Cancelled; No Season Nine

Showtime's Weeds endingIt’s time to say goodbye to Weeds. The Mary-Louise Parker series has been cancelled by Showtime. The upcoming eighth season, which premieres next month, will be the show’s last.

The announcement doesn’t come as much of a surprise. Weeds’ future was looking uncertain before the show was renewed for season eight and many suspected that the upcoming 13 installments would be the TV series’ last.

Showtime entertainment president David Nevins tells EW, “There were two shows, Weeds and Dexter, that really got Showtime taken seriously for cutting-edge original programming… How they get brought home is really important. In this case, both for the sake of the two women behind the show [series creator Jenji Kohan and Golden Globe-winning star Mary-Louise Parker] and an audience that’s really invested in the show. TV fans love nothing better than to complain about how shows end and we really want to end this one the right way.”

Kohan says that she’s sad about the show coming to a close but appreciates the opportunity to wrap things up. She hasn’t decided how to end the series just yet, saying, “We wrack our brains every year for crazy cliffhangers and we’re trying to figure out how to top ourselves.”

She noted, “I’m so proud of what we do here and that it’s about a strong woman lead who’s really flawed… We get to do comedy right up against drama, which a lot of shows don’t get the opportunity to do.”

The final season of Weeds premieres on Sunday, July 1st, at 10pm. The assassination attempt cliffhanger will quickly be resolved and there will be a time jump and a return to the suburbs. What happens after that remains to be seen.

What do you think? Will you be sad to see Weeds go or has the series already been on too long?

Sara April 14, 2013 at 6:56 am

Weeds is the best show I’ve seen it saved my life and I think I might cry now that it’s over. Being it back!!!!

Cristiane F April 13, 2013 at 5:33 am

I love The Weeds!! Please don’t end the show!!! It is great!!

Melissa April 13, 2013 at 1:23 am

This was a great show. So sad to see it go. I have to say I was sad that nancy and Andy didn’t end up together. Glad though that it ended on a good note. I think they were wise not to string it on for too long.

roxanne April 12, 2013 at 10:04 am

i loved, love, and I am addicted, to this show. I don’t know why they are canceling it. This is a great show.

Geronimo Jackson April 12, 2013 at 5:18 am

After installing AppleTV and a Netflix subscription, my wife and I have spent all our spare time watching the entire Weeds series over the last three weeks. I feel like I’m a part of the family. I have to say that they did an excellent job of closing the series, the five of them sitting together on the steps with the snow falling, tugged at my heart. It was like watching a very long movie and it will fondly remain in my memory for a very long time, probably for ever. Thank you for that and the very best of luck to all the cast members and all the support people who made it all possible. It was a long, crazy, heart warming trip. Peace go with you all.

Glenn April 11, 2013 at 7:21 pm

So sad. This was a GREAT show… who knows, maybe it will come back one day.

don April 11, 2013 at 3:31 pm

It is a sad day for television. I don’t watch much tv but this show was one I always looked forward to watching.

Elizabeth April 11, 2013 at 1:40 pm

I am so sad…I am really going to miss my show!!!!

Ron April 10, 2013 at 7:52 pm

would love to see more of the series continue… we should make a petition…

J April 8, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Sad to see the series end. Season 8 is amazing, best season yet. More weeds PLEASE!!!

marc April 6, 2013 at 3:00 pm

This is and always will be the greatest show I’ve ever had the privilege to watch. I WANT MORE WEED’S!

amanda April 6, 2013 at 3:37 am

I’m sad its leaving I just finally finished season 8 and the whole series was amazing

sherry April 2, 2013 at 11:19 pm

I am so disappointed to see this show end, it really was a one of a kind. You become so attached to the characters and just when you thought it was over and they couldn’t think of anything new they would think of something to keep it going. It will be truly missed.

Ian April 8, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Took the words right out of my mouth <3

Jessica April 2, 2013 at 3:42 pm

I’m sad to see it end. I like happy endings #hopelessromantic i guess. I can laugh at the memories..

Qiana Tucker April 1, 2013 at 11:47 pm

I love this series I’m sad to see it go…. Please come back