Weeds: Cancelled; No Season Nine

Showtime's Weeds endingIt’s time to say goodbye to Weeds. The Mary-Louise Parker series has been cancelled by Showtime. The upcoming eighth season, which premieres next month, will be the show’s last.

The announcement doesn’t come as much of a surprise. Weeds’ future was looking uncertain before the show was renewed for season eight and many suspected that the upcoming 13 installments would be the TV series’ last.

Showtime entertainment president David Nevins tells EW, “There were two shows, Weeds and Dexter, that really got Showtime taken seriously for cutting-edge original programming… How they get brought home is really important. In this case, both for the sake of the two women behind the show [series creator Jenji Kohan and Golden Globe-winning star Mary-Louise Parker] and an audience that’s really invested in the show. TV fans love nothing better than to complain about how shows end and we really want to end this one the right way.”

Kohan says that she’s sad about the show coming to a close but appreciates the opportunity to wrap things up. She hasn’t decided how to end the series just yet, saying, “We wrack our brains every year for crazy cliffhangers and we’re trying to figure out how to top ourselves.”

She noted, “I’m so proud of what we do here and that it’s about a strong woman lead who’s really flawed… We get to do comedy right up against drama, which a lot of shows don’t get the opportunity to do.”

The final season of Weeds premieres on Sunday, July 1st, at 10pm. The assassination attempt cliffhanger will quickly be resolved and there will be a time jump and a return to the suburbs. What happens after that remains to be seen.

What do you think? Will you be sad to see Weeds go or has the series already been on too long?

Canceled and renewed TV show

330 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. theresa says

I do not sit all day and evening watching any thing but Weeds is a awesome sense of creativity and would love to see a new episode

2. Mark Foley says

I really hate to see this show end. Instead of advancing the children’s ages so fast, they
    should have allowed more story lines to develop as they aged naturally. Making the
    Shane character have a mustache, when he still looked barely 15 was a bit unbelievable. Other than that, I always hoped it would stay around.

3. Michy says

Between the collection of actors, who continued to enhance each other through every episode; along with the magnificent job of balancing drama and comedy, this show is, by far, and in itself, the BEST series I have had the pleasure of viewing in my 67 years. It will be sadly missed…..

4. Luganly says

I just finished season 8. I absolutely love this show! I cried on the last 2 episodes. I am sad its over. What a fun ride! Wishing for another season and wish she and Andy would have finally ended up together :( One of the best shows ever!! I watched them all again while healing from surgery. Made things so much better.

5. badgirl says

I’m really gonna miss weeds and thank you to all the cast for making me laugh and hope to see you guys and girls soon. You are fantastic actors !

6. says

I love weeds and im really gonna miss it. The first four seasons were better than the last four. It started out funny then changes to serious.I still love the series, im gonna miss it.

7. Connie Francis says

I love Weeds! Just finished watching season 8. I am going to miss it. Time to buy season 7 & 8 to complete my collection and rewatch it all over again. WEEDS you will be missed.

8. jesse lukowich says

Very sad to see it end, will definitely go down in history for obe of the best series ever created!