Weeds: Cancelled; No Season Nine

Showtime's Weeds endingIt’s time to say goodbye to Weeds. The Mary-Louise Parker series has been cancelled by Showtime. The upcoming eighth season, which premieres next month, will be the show’s last.

The announcement doesn’t come as much of a surprise. Weeds’ future was looking uncertain before the show was renewed for season eight and many suspected that the upcoming 13 installments would be the TV series’ last.

Showtime entertainment president David Nevins tells EW, “There were two shows, Weeds and Dexter, that really got Showtime taken seriously for cutting-edge original programming… How they get brought home is really important. In this case, both for the sake of the two women behind the show [series creator Jenji Kohan and Golden Globe-winning star Mary-Louise Parker] and an audience that’s really invested in the show. TV fans love nothing better than to complain about how shows end and we really want to end this one the right way.”

Kohan says that she’s sad about the show coming to a close but appreciates the opportunity to wrap things up. She hasn’t decided how to end the series just yet, saying, “We wrack our brains every year for crazy cliffhangers and we’re trying to figure out how to top ourselves.”

She noted, “I’m so proud of what we do here and that it’s about a strong woman lead who’s really flawed… We get to do comedy right up against drama, which a lot of shows don’t get the opportunity to do.”

The final season of Weeds premieres on Sunday, July 1st, at 10pm. The assassination attempt cliffhanger will quickly be resolved and there will be a time jump and a return to the suburbs. What happens after that remains to be seen.

What do you think? Will you be sad to see Weeds go or has the series already been on too long?

Canceled and renewed TV show

329 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. trevor sikes says

i loved the show and i would really love for it to come back on. it really needs to air again. it honestly has kinda helped in my life helped me understand things better. wish it would come back on

2. Jose says

Weeds show is one of the best shows that i’ve ever seen.I finished watching the show in about a week and a half. After that I saw the last season I was hoping for them to make a real final season but I guess they didn’t.I’m still real satisfied with their creativity and strong effort that was put into making this show.I ended up watching the whole show again. I just didn’t want it to be over, so I just kept on watching and watching. Again thank you for making such a great show, it was worth watching twice and watching it more times.

3. Thierry says

I became addicted to the rich characters in Weeds, especially to that of Nancy Botwin, an original mixture of an open-minded good mother with the best intentions, business woman, drugs-dealer, very smart, but always with a deep human flavour and of course with an enchanting charisma…

Before, I was never a real fan of a celebrity, which changed when encountering Marie-Louise Parker in Weeds.

I started watching weeds during a period where I was in sick-leave, due to a serious burn-out. This great series was very inspiring during that period and helped me to look again at the bright side of life.

So many thanks to its creators and actors.

4. Ana says

This is the best show ever, I would hate to see it finish Bring it back and defiantly make more seasons ?………….PLEASE!!!!!!

• sagacious-su says

more!!!!!!!! love this show….. the best ever… PLEASE don’t stop now. I don’t watch tv much, Weeds has changed that.. I’ve watched all 8 within a couple of weeks. This show has me singing little boxes :)

5. Chelsea Hernandez says

I personally do not watch TV series, at least not a whole series but I have say & watched every season & every episode of weeds! I think that the show should deffinitaly go on. I enjoy Weeds very much & I am very disappointed that it has been canceled!

6. Dankome says

I really enjoyed this show it’d be a shame to end it now, i watched all eight seasons in a little over a week! It got me hooked, made me laugh a whole lot and kept my attention for a long while and I want more!

7. says

I think its the best show I have ever seen and I don’t even have cable. if u
    must say then so shall I. thanks to all the actors who put on a great performance in the sow called weeds.

8. D nice says

Weds is the best series ever. Who doesn’t Love watching a show about a suburban mifl selling more weed then the niggas in the hood