Weeds: Cancelled; No Season Nine

Showtime's Weeds endingIt’s time to say goodbye to Weeds. The Mary-Louise Parker series has been cancelled by Showtime. The upcoming eighth season, which premieres next month, will be the show’s last.

The announcement doesn’t come as much of a surprise. Weeds’ future was looking uncertain before the show was renewed for season eight and many suspected that the upcoming 13 installments would be the TV series’ last.

Showtime entertainment president David Nevins tells EW, “There were two shows, Weeds and Dexter, that really got Showtime taken seriously for cutting-edge original programming… How they get brought home is really important. In this case, both for the sake of the two women behind the show [series creator Jenji Kohan and Golden Globe-winning star Mary-Louise Parker] and an audience that’s really invested in the show. TV fans love nothing better than to complain about how shows end and we really want to end this one the right way.”

Kohan says that she’s sad about the show coming to a close but appreciates the opportunity to wrap things up. She hasn’t decided how to end the series just yet, saying, “We wrack our brains every year for crazy cliffhangers and we’re trying to figure out how to top ourselves.”

She noted, “I’m so proud of what we do here and that it’s about a strong woman lead who’s really flawed… We get to do comedy right up against drama, which a lot of shows don’t get the opportunity to do.”

The final season of Weeds premieres on Sunday, July 1st, at 10pm. The assassination attempt cliffhanger will quickly be resolved and there will be a time jump and a return to the suburbs. What happens after that remains to be seen.

What do you think? Will you be sad to see Weeds go or has the series already been on too long?

Canceled and renewed TV show

326 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Coty L says

WEEDS SHOULD NOT BE CANCELLED!!!!! Such great writing that made me feel like part of the show, and the actors that make me laugh and cry. There should most deffinity be a 9th season!!

2. Emmanuel says

Please don’t cancel the show!! I watched every episode since the start and can’t believe it’s coming to a end its an amazing show !

3. Jinny says

I only got one thing to comment about this decision…DON’T!!!!! This show is from far one of the best I’ve watched in my life!! A perfect balance between comedy and drama. I’m totally addicted to that show, which demonstrates (however screwed she could be) a strong female leader that doesn’t need anyone neither than she cares about any opinion whatsover…Please just DO NOT CANCEL THAT SHOW!!!

4. RJMerritt says

I can’t believe this show ends, not now, not like this. This is one of the only shows I’ve followed for this many years. I understand things got to move on, I was just hoping to get to carry this entertainment for a few more years…Showtime obviously has something better brewing, if not…bad move guys….

5. Alisa says

I am so sad and angry that Weeds is ending. I love this show. It is the only reason I order showtime. Please dont end it.

6. Mary V says

ahhhh. Weeds should not be cancelled. It is entertainment at it’s finest. It’s had it’s ups & downs but we were so excited when we saw previews of the family going back to Regresstic. I thought wow they’re going back to the beginning with more life under their belts & this will make for some great story plots. Please don’t end this great show. It’s, actually, the only reason that we subscribe to Showtime. I think Showtime is going to be in for a rude awakening by how many subscribers drop Showtime after they realize they have nothing to look forward to. Hopefully they’ll realize it before it’s too late. Wake up Showtime.