Weeds: Cancelled; No Season Nine

Showtime's Weeds endingIt’s time to say goodbye to Weeds. The Mary-Louise Parker series has been cancelled by Showtime. The upcoming eighth season, which premieres next month, will be the show’s last.

The announcement doesn’t come as much of a surprise. Weeds’ future was looking uncertain before the show was renewed for season eight and many suspected that the upcoming 13 installments would be the TV series’ last.

Showtime entertainment president David Nevins tells EW, “There were two shows, Weeds and Dexter, that really got Showtime taken seriously for cutting-edge original programming… How they get brought home is really important. In this case, both for the sake of the two women behind the show [series creator Jenji Kohan and Golden Globe-winning star Mary-Louise Parker] and an audience that’s really invested in the show. TV fans love nothing better than to complain about how shows end and we really want to end this one the right way.”

Kohan says that she’s sad about the show coming to a close but appreciates the opportunity to wrap things up. She hasn’t decided how to end the series just yet, saying, “We wrack our brains every year for crazy cliffhangers and we’re trying to figure out how to top ourselves.”

She noted, “I’m so proud of what we do here and that it’s about a strong woman lead who’s really flawed… We get to do comedy right up against drama, which a lot of shows don’t get the opportunity to do.”

The final season of Weeds premieres on Sunday, July 1st, at 10pm. The assassination attempt cliffhanger will quickly be resolved and there will be a time jump and a return to the suburbs. What happens after that remains to be seen.

What do you think? Will you be sad to see Weeds go or has the series already been on too long?

Canceled and renewed TV show

330 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. nicole says

Very very dissapointed in how weeds is officially cancelled. I love nothing more then to watch weeds and now its officially over. NOT THRILLED. SEASON 8 was starting to get real interesting and then the finale show the series finale. So not a good ending. Weeds should continue on.

2. Valerie says

I agree with everyone else on this. Weeds is an AWESOME series and should NOT be cancelled! Ive been a fan of Weeds since day one, and its the ONLY reason I started watching Showtime. Without Weeds, Showtime is going to lose ALOT of viewers! If Weeds doesn’t air anymore episodes, they might as well go ahead and cancel Showtime all together because without Weeds, Showtime is nothing!

3. Elli says

I purchased the Showtime channel subscription only to watch Weeds! Now when Weeds is gone, there is no reason to keep my Showtime subscription. Because of there not being anymore Weeds episodes, Showtime is gonna lose ALOT of viewers and subscribers! BRING WEEDS BACK!!!!!!

4. Valerie says

I agree with everyone else on this. Weeds should NOT be cancelled! It is an awesome show, and ive benn a fan since day one!! It is the only reason I started watching Showtime. So if they cancel Weeds, they might as well go ahead and cancel Showtime, because Weeds made Showtime what it is today!

5. Robin says

I agree. Weeds is the best serie that Showtime have ever released. As many above says, if u cancel weeds, you might event take down Showtime.
    // Robin

6. Amanda York says

You have to bring weeds back. It is my favorite show. there isn’t any show like it or comes close to this show. If you end this show then just cancel showtime too because without that show, this channel will suffer. Do the right thing and make a season 9 please!

7. Rochelle says

Please Don’t End it…I too have been a follower from start. This show should gone on like a soap opera for showtime..just couldn’t wait til the next season…Thank You for the entertainment…now I can cancel my subscription to showtime because Weeds was the only reason I kept it..