Weeds: Cancelled; No Season Nine

Showtime's Weeds endingIt’s time to say goodbye to Weeds. The Mary-Louise Parker series has been cancelled by Showtime. The upcoming eighth season, which premieres next month, will be the show’s last.

The announcement doesn’t come as much of a surprise. Weeds’ future was looking uncertain before the show was renewed for season eight and many suspected that the upcoming 13 installments would be the TV series’ last.

Showtime entertainment president David Nevins tells EW, “There were two shows, Weeds and Dexter, that really got Showtime taken seriously for cutting-edge original programming… How they get brought home is really important. In this case, both for the sake of the two women behind the show [series creator Jenji Kohan and Golden Globe-winning star Mary-Louise Parker] and an audience that’s really invested in the show. TV fans love nothing better than to complain about how shows end and we really want to end this one the right way.”

Kohan says that she’s sad about the show coming to a close but appreciates the opportunity to wrap things up. She hasn’t decided how to end the series just yet, saying, “We wrack our brains every year for crazy cliffhangers and we’re trying to figure out how to top ourselves.”

She noted, “I’m so proud of what we do here and that it’s about a strong woman lead who’s really flawed… We get to do comedy right up against drama, which a lot of shows don’t get the opportunity to do.”

The final season of Weeds premieres on Sunday, July 1st, at 10pm. The assassination attempt cliffhanger will quickly be resolved and there will be a time jump and a return to the suburbs. What happens after that remains to be seen.

What do you think? Will you be sad to see Weeds go or has the series already been on too long?

Canceled and renewed TV show

330 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. says

I want to say how upset i am to see Showcase drop this series. They could still do more with the story plot, and they will always have there audience. So if they do continue it in 4 years, I WILL STILL WATCH IT. And i know many people would say the same.

2. Alisha says

Very very very sad! It’s what I had to look forward to, such clever minds that produced such a brilliant show should not end. That’s absurd!

3. James E. G. III says

Why is it that only the Best, most clever shows have people running the networks that do not
    understand brilliance, and have to spoil their success by pulling the plug? It looks like Showtime would want to bask in success, instead of wallowing in failure! Weeds has been my all time favorite series, and the ONLY one I order DVD’s of every year. Perhaps the producers could keep producing the series to syndicate around the world, keep selling the DVDs, and prove to Showtime that they made the worst decision in their history. What a sad day today when I found out.

• says

IM RIGHT ******* SAD MAN.. THAT SHOW WAS KICK ASS, THEY NEED ATLEAST ONE MORE SEASON… THEY SHOULD OF JUSS ENDED IT WITH NANCY OR SOMEONE DIEING..

4. alex says

omg im so sad. i cried. i cried i cried i cried. i was more invested in the characters in this show than people in my real life. such an unhealthy obssession but i keep craving more.

5. Mrs. P says

I am truly sad to see this show come to an end. I didn’t even think I’d like a show called “Weeds”, but I’ve been addicted to this show since episode one. :(

6. Joyce says

So sad that there won’t be an episode 9 of Weeds. It was such a great show. The actors, the writer, the chaos, the epiphanies and the humour. It’s a series on the parody of life and it is so original. It always managed to mock tragedy and to continue on with another moonstruck episode. I hope it will continue next season, in spite of the cancellation.

7. Anonymous says

I am really sad to hear that Weeds is coming to an end. I do look forward to Season 9.
    I enjoy watching this show the most.

8. MarkyMarkUK says

This was a fantastic, ground breaking and fascinating show. Not every episode was brilliant but unlike most Tv shows i actually looked forward to this. I’m mystified why its been cancelled, when there is nothing to take its place. To be honest most shows around at present are not as clever, interesting or absorbing as Weeds was. Whoever decided to cancel this. will regret it, as without a worthy replacement they have left a gaping hole in TV. Just like when dead Like me was cancelled, fantastic enthralling, clearly too intelligent for the suits in Tv land to understand. R.I.P. Weeds and well done to all the actors and writers/and everyone involved, you created a masterpiece.

9. sarah says

Im very sad to see Weeds end. I think it’s uncanny how you can get so attached to a TV show. I enjoyed every episode and would watch all 8 seasons again. I already miss it. One of the best tv shows ive seen.

10. says

I love this show, every single episode. For a few seasons there it seemed like the botwins should just give up and settle down but they never failed to suprise me. The last season was great it wrapped up very nicely! I think the end of this series was a lot better than the end of most of the other tv series I have watched.

11. Dirk says

great show, good ending, coming full circle.
    I enjoyed every minute of the show, and im glad the ending wrapped it up nicely tho im sad to see it end.
    Too many series end with cliffhangers or make a mess of it, here i really got the “sun shining in the background and all will be ok” feeling.
    All 5 sitting together in the cold snow, smoking a joint…thats weeds!