Weeds: Cancelled; No Season Nine

Showtime's Weeds endingIt’s time to say goodbye to Weeds. The Mary-Louise Parker series has been cancelled by Showtime. The upcoming eighth season, which premieres next month, will be the show’s last.

The announcement doesn’t come as much of a surprise. Weeds’ future was looking uncertain before the show was renewed for season eight and many suspected that the upcoming 13 installments would be the TV series’ last.

Showtime entertainment president David Nevins tells EW, “There were two shows, Weeds and Dexter, that really got Showtime taken seriously for cutting-edge original programming… How they get brought home is really important. In this case, both for the sake of the two women behind the show [series creator Jenji Kohan and Golden Globe-winning star Mary-Louise Parker] and an audience that’s really invested in the show. TV fans love nothing better than to complain about how shows end and we really want to end this one the right way.”

Kohan says that she’s sad about the show coming to a close but appreciates the opportunity to wrap things up. She hasn’t decided how to end the series just yet, saying, “We wrack our brains every year for crazy cliffhangers and we’re trying to figure out how to top ourselves.”

She noted, “I’m so proud of what we do here and that it’s about a strong woman lead who’s really flawed… We get to do comedy right up against drama, which a lot of shows don’t get the opportunity to do.”

The final season of Weeds premieres on Sunday, July 1st, at 10pm. The assassination attempt cliffhanger will quickly be resolved and there will be a time jump and a return to the suburbs. What happens after that remains to be seen.

What do you think? Will you be sad to see Weeds go or has the series already been on too long?

Canceled and renewed TV show

330 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Anonymous says

Bring back weeds its a good show that didn’t end right, **** you show time you should bring it back. It was a good show ! Or at least put it on another network beside show time since it cancelled it! Stupid show time !

2. joe says

Wow weeds !! What a wonderful show from the varry beginning I was hooked taped every episode and to see it comes to a end kills me its the best show on tv why would you want to end it its soo amazing you never knows what nancy is going to get into next. I give this show 10 stars out of 5 come on keep it going …

3. Amanda Lynn says

Weeds has always been my favorite show series of all time. I love weeds so much and to see it end is just so heartbreaking and very disappointing! Ending the show is absolutely ridiculous. The ending of season 8 was horrible and left so many questions unanswered leaving us all to wonder. There’s still plenty more to write about the show and keep several more seasons to come! I have so many great ideas in mind for more episodes so I know the producers of the show has the imagination to expand this show by keeping the seasons coming! PLEASE DO NOT END this absolutely amazing show. I have faith that you will not disappoint all of us fans and viewers. KEEP the Show Weeds!!! Please do not leave the show ending in such a horrible disappointing way with so many unanswered questions. On lives Weeds!!!! Season 9

4. Silverbaine says

When I seen the first episode, I trhought it’d be some lame waste of time show.
    but… after seeing how the director had rounded the characters and how the plot and storyline had that “it could be you” feel to it, I just had to watch all 8 seasons.
    and now.. I’m sitting here hoping to see a 9th season…….

They never ended family guy, simpsons, and.. c.s.i. and many other series, so why end weeds?

5. Martha says

Please please please please bring it back I love love love that show and the ending was kinda dead left people wondering please bring it back

6. Mehdi says

Please!! Don’t let it end.
    It can continue at least on two season!
    It was a horrible ending!!
    Plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

7. Liz says

Dont let it end!!
    The ending to last episode was kind of disappointing, it was good to see where everyone’s lives had taken them, but would of been good to see Nancy with someone at the end, whether it had been Andy or someone completely new. For the type of character she is and how much she has done for her children over the seasons, she deserved to be surrounded by family and friends.

8. Bryan Watson says

I believe it ended well. But, with the way it ended I believe it could still be dragged out another season or two….or more! It’s all about imagination. And the producer of weeds has it. I would really love if they changed their mind About ending it so soon. I feel as though they’re plenty of unanswered questions they could answer and continue to make seasons on. Either way, I guess I’m satisfied. But more seasons would have me jumping for joy. I’ve seen every single episode. Twice. Im in love with weeds. Just a thought! Don’t completely decide yet! :)