Weeds: Showtime “Optimistic” about Season Eight; Are You?

Weeds season eightAt Showtime’s TCA presentation, network president David Nevins said that he’s “optimistic” about Weeds coming back for an eighth season but the cable channel has yet to make an official announcement. Nevins also said that he believes that the drama still has “real life in it.” Unfortunately, the numbers tell a slightly different story.

Weeds kicked off season seven on June 27th with a 0.6 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 1.19 million viewers. That’s pretty close to what season six’s debut did last August. Unfortunately, subsequent episodes didn’t stay at that level. The second episode of the season lost about half of the premiere’s ratings. That was understandable considering it aired on the July 4th holiday. However, later episodes haven’t done much better. The most recent episode drew just 710,000 viewers and a 0.3 demo rating.

Showtime is likely waiting to see how the rest of the season does in the ratings but, based on these numbers, it looks like Weeds is in very real danger of being cancelled.

The finale of season seven of Weeds is expected to air on September 26th. Time will tell if it ends up being the series finale as well.

What do you think? Do you hope that Weeds is renewed for season eight or is it time for the show to be cancelled? Will you be upset if it doesn’t get a true series finale?

Canceled and renewed TV show

27 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. DC says

After the disaster that was most of season six, I was worried that Kohen had “lost her touch.” However, after viewing the first 10 episodes of season seven, I think she’s back on track. Also, Weed’s ratings are out-competing those for The Big C, Californication, and Nurse Jackie. Moreover, reports are the Kohen and Showtime are working on an agreement to renew the show. I am hopeful.

Honestly, I never understood the backlash against the post-Agrestic phase of the show. Moving the show to San Diego and now to New York City has kept the show fresh and allowed new storylines to develop that would not have developed if the Botwins had stayed in Agrestic.

2. SAMUEL says

showtime never really put out something that grab me but i have watched weed for 4 seasons then it got bad its time to end it finish up everything an let it go sorry but that’s my opinion

3. Nate says

Well, i admit that weeds got little weak in the last two seasons.
    but still i think the potential of the show isnt completely exhausted yet, they just have to come up with a really god cliffhanger at the end of this season. And may do a little time warp of, who knows, maybe just a few months, or even a year or 2…)
    I think this could lift the show up again and bring fresh air into it!

4. Neltah says

This show hasn’t been good since season 3. And Nancy is the worst character on television. They should cancel it!!

5. b. malone says

What a shame. It seems to me that the writers have all been replaced with 5th graders. Not the same show at all.

6. says

Please renew the show weeds!! I have purchased all of the previous seasons and have given them to family and friends to bring more viewership to the show. We love weeds and this show gives us something to laugh about as well as something to look foward to on Mondays. There is a lot more that can be done with Nancy! We love her! Shane is still growing and cilas is becoming a bussiness man. Not to mention lil stevie still has to grow and get in the bussiness. DONT CANCEL THIS SHOW! YOUR showtime viewership will drop all together as I know of people who only order showtime for the TV SHOW WEEDS!

7. j says

Nancy is a hag who always gets her way. The show is bad. I miss Agrestiv. i dont miss mexico o new york. end the show, but tie up the loose ends first

8. says

If they end it, they damn well better do so with Nancy being brutally murdered.
    As long as that ***** dies I’m totally ok with the series coming to a conclusion.

9. Stuart Down South says

End it. End it now! I honestly loved Weeds, but it lost it’s charm after the first 4 seasons. They should’ve invested more time into United States of Tara, instead of cancelling it. That show still had some life in it.

10. Lin says

The show has always been very intriguing. People complain because they believe it is too far fetched. But it is Television here people. I believe it is a great show and deserves the proper finale for both actors and writers. I have enjoyed watching it for the past 6 almost 7 seasons. I will be sad to see it go, I haven’t always liked what happened or liked the way things played out but i deem it interesting to watch and hope they get to do a final season instead of just calling it quits due to contracts being up because the writers have done an excellent job! How many people really have that much creativity to constantly write drama! It was and is a good show I currently own all 6 seasons avaliable on dvd and watch one after another because once you start the Botwin drama you have to see what happens next.

11. Jeremy Rynek says

It should go on for 2 more seasons. I will be really disappointed if they ax it. I guess we’ll see. But call me crazy, it might have something to do with them canceling the united states of Tara. People think it won’t last, so they tune out. And another thing about the united states of tara, they left it with no real conclusion. Is that gonna happen here too?

12. Alex says

Oh just cancel it already… the show was mortally wounded with Agrestic burning down and has limped on ever since. Put it out of its misery, those of us that watch it are essentially hoping for it to get better, and it hasn’t.