When Calls the Heart: Season Two for Hallmark Series

When Calls the Heart TV show on Hallmark: season twoHallmark Channel has picked up a second season of their original drama, When Calls the Heart. The first season of 13 episodes concluded on March 29th. No word on when season two will debut.

Here’s the official announcement for the renewal:

HALLMARK CHANNEL’S TOP RATED ORIGINAL PRIMETIME SERIES “WHEN CALLS THE HEART” EARNS A SECOND SEASON RENEWAL

Lori Loughlin, Erin Krakow, and Daniel Lissing Star In The Period Drama

On the heels of Jack Wagner and James Brolin starring in the final episodes of “When Calls the Heart,” Hallmark Channel is proud to announce its Original Series has earned a renewal and promises many more surprises in season two. “When Calls the Heart,” starring Lori Loughlin, Erin Krakow and Daniel Lissing, is based on the bestselling series of books of the same name by Janette Oke and tells the captivating story of a young woman who begins a new chapter in her life in a 19th century coal mining town and learns the lessons of life, love and loss. Since its premiere on January 11, the series has consistently rated top five in its Saturday night timeslot and has been seen by more than 12.3 million unduplicated viewers. After its first ten episodes, “When Calls The Heart” is averaging a 1.5 household rating. The original primetime drama is Hallmark Channel’s second original scripted series. (Source: The Nielsen Company)

“The success of ‘When Calls The Heart’ proves the show fills the niche of quality, family-friendly entertainment that audiences want to see in today’s crowded television landscape,” said Michelle Vicary, Executive Vice President, Programming, Hallmark Channel and Hallmark Movie Channel. “The overwhelming wave of support from the show’s legion of fans tells us that they have fallen in love with its great storytelling and we are thrilled to have it continue,” Vicary concluded.

“When Calls the Heart” follows the story of a young schoolteacher Elizabeth Thatcher (Krakow) who moves from her privileged high society life to a simpler one as a schoolteacher in the Western frontier. Elizabeth arrives in Coal Valley, a 19th century coal mining town, for her first classroom assignment. However, she arrives in the aftermath of a mine explosion that claimed the lives of most of Coal Valley’s men, leaving behind their widows – including kind-hearted Abigail Stanton (Loughlin). Abigail and the newly widowed women face many challenges as they confront life alone in Coal Valley, and find their faith is tested when they are forced to work in the mines to make ends meet. As Elizabeth adapts to the frontier lifestyle, she also begins to fall for handsome Constable Jack Thornton (Lissing). The budding romance between Jack and Elizabeth comes to fruition, and is a core element to the series’ successful storytelling.

“When Calls the Heart” is a Believe Pictures and Brad Krevoy Television production. Executive Producers are Brad Krevoy, Brian Bird and Michael Landon, Jr. Based on the novel, When Calls the Heart by Janette Oke.

Hallmark Channel, owned and operated by Crown Media Holdings, Inc., is a 24-hour basic cable network that provides a diverse slate of high-quality entertainment programming available in high definition (HD) and standard definition (SD) to a national audience of 86 million subscribers. Hallmark Channel is the nation’s leading destination for quality family programming with an ambitious slate of TV movies; original scripted series, including Cedar Cove, Signed, Sealed, Delivered and When Calls the Heart; specials such as Kitten Bowl; as well as some of television’s most beloved sitcoms and series, including The Golden Girls, The Waltons, Little House on the Prairie, and Frasier. The channel is also home to Daytime Emmy-nominated lifestyle program, Home & Family, a daily two-hour live show shot in a fully functional house located on the Universal Studios lot. Hallmark Channel’s sibling network, Hallmark Movie Channel, available in HD and SD, focuses on family-friendly movies with a mix of original films, classic theatrical releases, and presentations from the acclaimed Hallmark Hall of Fame library.

Hallmark Channel on Social Media: Facebook, Twitter (Join the conversation at #HeartofTV), Pinterest, GetGlue, YouTube

What do you think? Have you watched When Calls the Heart on Hallmark? Are you glad that it’s been renewed for a second season?

Dyan Hipszer September 18, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Thanks for sharing the great news that When Calls The Heart will
Be returning for a second season. I have been so afraid I missed it. The show
Is just so well done, it is so refreshing to see true
old fashioned politeness!

Claudia Clifton September 16, 2014 at 10:14 pm

I loved season 1 of When calls the Heart and I just saw on TV that season 2 is coming next year, I am so excited and can’t wait to see Elizabeth and Jack together again. Best show ever. Keep them coming. You hit the jackpot with this show, great entertainment, great love story. Doesn’t everyone want a great love story????

Mary September 16, 2014 at 12:50 am

I am looking forward to the next season to start. This is a weekly series I hate to miss. It is a entertaining and well done series.

Marie Copland September 15, 2014 at 7:24 pm

This is one of the best love story series I have watched since Little House in the Prairie. I love the old town and twist if tragedy! I can’t wait for season two!!

Joyce September 14, 2014 at 10:43 pm

Thrilled that there is going to be a second season! A fabulous series that is
well done on all levels – acting, story-line, wholesomeness, entertaining, etc.!
Very anxious for season two!

Mary Lynch September 14, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Cant wait for season 2! When does it start again?

Steve Grover September 14, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Love this show. When will the second season begin?

Anonymous September 14, 2014 at 3:27 pm

WOW! I LOVE this show. I was already a fan of Janette Oke’s writings. When the TV series ended for 2014, I checked out the book from the library! Also, I googled the stars whom I fell in love with! It is hard waiting for such a wonderful show to return. “I can hardly wait” for season 2 to begin next year in May. THANK YOU everyone who had a part in bringing “When Calls the Heart” to my Hallmark channel available with my basic cable service!!

Linda September 13, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Love this show!

Donnia September 12, 2014 at 6:59 pm

‘When Calls The Heart’ is a wonderful family-friendly series that I enjoy immensely. There are not many shows that I have watched that are as wholesome and devoid of sex, violence and bad language. I am proud to see that family values and morals still exist in a tv series and a network like Hallmark. Patiently looking forward to season 2.

Joyce September 13, 2014 at 11:37 pm

I am so excited to see the newest episodes in season 2. We as a family need Hallmark and the wonderful stories we view.

When we watch “When Calls the Heart” Thank you so much for keeping this season in production. We hope for many more. Joyce Seibel

Mali September 11, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Love. This. Show. I don’t think I can wait until next spring…

Mary September 12, 2014 at 6:08 am

REALLY…….Do we REALLY have to wait until SPRING???? WOW :(

Deanna September 10, 2014 at 7:52 pm

When calls the heart is one of the best series on TV looking forward to season 2 please keep it going!

Karen West September 10, 2014 at 7:31 pm

When Calls the Heart is one of the best shows to come in a long time. Something I can watch with my kids without fear of what may come next. Cant wait for it to come back.

Ann September 10, 2014 at 8:11 am

I absolutely love When Calls the Heart! Can’t wait for its return. So happy it was renewed.

Toni campbell September 10, 2014 at 1:12 am

When calls the heart is one of the best tv series we have seen in a long time,and hope that it will continue.