Who Do You Think You Are?: 2011-12 Season Ratings

who do you think you are tv show ratingsHere are the TV ratings for the Who Do You Think You Are? TV show. This reality series helps a different celebrity each week go on a journey to trace his or her family tree. The third season of Who Do You Think You Are? typically airs Friday nights at 8pm on the NBC network.

These are the TV show’s ratings for the 2011-12 season, the best way to tell if Who Do You Think You Are? is going to be cancelled or renewed for season four.

Final season three averages: 1.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.38 million total viewers.

Episode 03-12: Friday, 05/18/12 (series finale)
1.0 in the demo (+11% episode-to-episode change) with 5.38 million; second in the timeslot.
Season average: 1.02 in the demo with 5.41 million.
Demo average rank: #12 of 14 non-scripted TV shows on the network (Fall 2011 – Spring 2012).

UPDATE: NBC has cancelled Who Do You Think You Are? after three seasons.

Episode 03-11: Friday, 05/11/12
0.9 in the demo (0% episode-to-episode change) with 4.78 million; fourth in the timeslot.
Season average: 1.03 in the demo with 5.41 million.

Episode 03-10: Friday, 05/04/12
0.9 in the demo (-10% episode-to-episode change) with 4.96 million; fourth in the timeslot.
Season average: 1.04 in the demo with 5.48 million.

Episode 03-09: Friday, 04/27/12
1.0 in the demo (+25% episode-to-episode change) with 5.25 million; fourth in the timeslot.
Season average: 1.06 in the demo with 5.54 million.

Episode 03-08: Friday, 04/06/12
0.8 in the demo (0% episode-to-episode change) with 4.64 million; fourth in the timeslot.
Season average: 1.06 in the demo with 5.57 million.

Episode 03-07: Friday, 03/30/12
0.8 in the demo (-20% episode-to-episode change) with 5.24 million; fourth in the timeslot.
Season average: 1.10 in the demo with 5.70 million.
Demo average rank: #12 of 13 non-scripted TV shows on the network (Fall 2011 – Spring 2012).

Episode 03-06: Friday, 03/23/12
1.0 in the demo (0% episode-to-episode change) with 5.59 million; third in the timeslot.
Season average: 1.15 in the demo with 5.78 million.

Episode 03-05: Friday, 03/09/12
1.0 in the demo (-29% episode-to-episode change) with 5.05 million; tied for third in the timeslot.
Season average: 1.18 in the demo with 5.82 million.
Demo average rank: #11 of 12 non-scripted TV shows on the network (Fall 2011 – Spring 2012).

Episode 03-04: Friday, 03/02/12
1.4 in the demo (+40% episode-to-episode change) with 7.37 million; third in the timeslot.
Season average: 1.23 in the demo with 6.01 million.

Episode 03-03: Friday, 2/24/12
1.0 in the demo (-23% episode-to-episode change) with 5.00 million; fourth in the timeslot.
Season average: 1.17 in the demo with 5.56 million.
Demo average rank: #10 of 11 non-scripted TV shows on the network (Fall 2011 – Spring 2012).

Episode 03-02: Friday, 02/10/12
1.3 in the demo (+8% episode-to-episode change) with 5.59 million; fourth in the timeslot.
Season average: 1.25 in the demo with 5.84 million.
Demo average rank: #9 of 11 non-scripted TV shows on the network (Fall 2011 – Spring 2012).

Episode 03-01: Friday, 02/03/12
1.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.09 million total viewers; fourth in the timeslot.
Season average: 1.20 in the demo with 6.09 million.

Reference point: The 2010-11 season of Who Do You Think You Are? averaged a 1.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 6.31 million viewers.

What do you think? Do you like Who Do You Think You Are? TV series? Do you think it should be cancelled or renewed for a fourth season?

Donna Reese May 21, 2012 at 10:15 pm

I wish you would not cancel this show it is one of the most interesting shows on TV of all the reality shows its the best I never watch the others and I never miss “Who do You Think You are”. You can actually learn from this one I love it Think about doing another season Please.

blr May 20, 2012 at 11:27 am

I LOVE this show! Why do they always cancel the nice shows and keep the awful, stupid, crappy shows that people shouldn’t even want to see? I wish another station would pick it up, it’s so interesting and has inspired me to work on my family’s tree. Phooey on NBC!

DCE May 19, 2012 at 7:36 pm

I’ve learned so much from this show. What a disappointed that it is being cancelled. NBC’s loss. Hopefully someone else will pick it up.

Candice Toth May 18, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Who Do You Think You Are? is one of only three night time shows I bother to turn my TV on for. Please rethink this decision!

Ellen Carter May 18, 2012 at 10:57 am

Learning that Who Do You Think You Are will be cancelled is a huge disappointment for me. I truly love this show – find it interesting and educational to those of us attempting to research our own family histories. I have recorded every one of the episodes in each season and have them to this day. WDYTYA is the only reality show I watch. I hope another network picks it up and it’s very successful. This is a big loss to NBC and I feel they may regret it.

Jackie Reiss May 17, 2012 at 1:25 pm

“Who Do You Think You Are” is the only NBC series that I have watched in recent years. I will miss it. I have been doing genealogy research for almost 50 years and, by watching this show, I have learned about (sometimes obscure) research techniques and documents I could use in my searches. After each show, I have discussed what I learned with a fellow genealogist. I hope that some other network will jump in and continue this valuable resource.

Renée Ponto May 17, 2012 at 10:45 am

I absolutely LOVE this program! If it is not renewed by NBC, I hope another network will pick it up.

BobV May 15, 2012 at 8:59 am

I really enjoy “Who Do You Think You Are?” It is certainly the ONLY good reality show going, and I feel it is a bad choice to be canceled.

Stephanie May 14, 2012 at 6:25 am

Some people like this kind of show. It is nothing boring about this show. It is not about finding dead people, it is about finding your family ancestry and history. This show has helped people besides actors find their ancestry and be able to find out where they come from. It was interesting to watch as these actors find out their history and ancestry. It was disappointing when it came out about it being canceled. I think NBC made a mistake and maybe it will get picked up by someone else.

Sondra Barnes May 17, 2012 at 1:02 pm

This is one of only a few shows that I watch on anything but PBS. It is factual and fascinating to watch people pursue their ancestry. I do not understand why you would be cancelled. Hopefully it will be picked up by another network that I can get on cable.

kit May 13, 2012 at 9:26 am

This show should be cancelled. Its sooo boring. Make room for something new instead of searching for old dead people

A Fan May 11, 2012 at 8:45 am

This is a wonderful show, and I hope it is renewed. The genealogical path of the various celebrities has lead to many amazing discoveries, whether on a personal or historic level. Each episode touches each of us in some way, and much is learned about not only American history but also the history of other parts of the world.

Carol M May 10, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Who Do You Think You Are? is the ONLY “reality show” I watch. The others are all trash! I hope they don’t cancel this program. It’s one of the only ones worth watching. The only thing I wish they would do different is to take one episode and work with an average person instead of always actors/actresses. Thank you for all the information it gives. It’s given me a lot of insight into my own genealogy research!

lupinssupins May 8, 2012 at 10:15 pm

I absolutely love the concept of this show! It’s the only “reality show” that has any intrinsic value to both viewers and participants, all without cringe-worthy gimmicks or staged humiliation events. The execution, however, is variable, because by the very nature of the show, the producers do not know what will be discovered or how dramatic it will be. So, to me anyway, it sometimes seems that the excitement level is a bit forced for what is found out… because, after all, they have to find a “hook.” After all the lag time that the research and travel may entail, they can’t just do a show saying, “We found out very little about Celebrity X’s ancestors” or “they all lived very ordinary lives.” The series started out with lots of excitement, possibly because once they had several episodes “in the can,” they could lead with the ones which had the most dramatic discoveries. It’s pretty hard to top Lisa Kudrow’s episode! And the ratings and episode retention rate are naturally going to vary, depending on which celebrity whose family tree is being explored. Add to that that it is aired in a time slot that has usually been a death sentence for many years, I think it’s held on pretty well. Definitely worth renewing. [In his interview of Lisa Kudrow on The Late, Late Show, Craig Ferguson said he'd love to be a participant on the show. I hope his CBS contract would permit it, because that's an episode I'd love to watch [even if, unlike the other celebrity subjects, his story does not begin here in America.]

BPT April 29, 2012 at 11:13 pm

This show is a wonderful look into the backgrounds of famous Americans. It inspired me to research my father’s side of the family to the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1630 and then to Coventry, England. I wish my father had been alive to learn of his ancestors, as I do not believe he ever knew any of this information. This show brings us closer as a nation and it is wonderful to hear the twists and turns which brought all the immigrants to America. Please do not cancel this valuable show.

B. Kent February 17, 2012 at 5:53 pm

I LOVE this show! It’s so incredible.