Who Do You Think You Are?: Reality Show Renewed for Season Three

Who Do You Think You Are? renewedNBC has given the go-ahead for a third season of its Who Do You Think You Are? reality series. The show follows celebrities as they travel far and wide to trace their ancestral roots. Celebrities that have taken part thus far include Sarah Jessica Parker, Emmitt Smith, Matthew Broderick, Brooke Shields, Susan Sarandon, Spike Lee, Vanessa L. Williams, Tim McGraw, Rosie O’Donnell, and Kim Cattrall. Lisa Kudrow is the executive producer and has also appeared on camera, traveling as far as Poland.

Who Do You Think You Are? started off season one with a 1.6 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 6.85 million viewers. By the end of the season, the ratings had fallen to a 1.2 in the demo and 5.21 million. Still, NBC opted to bring it back for another season.

Three episodes of season two have aired so far and have averaged a 1.3 rating and 6.6 million viewers. Those aren’t great numbers but apparently good enough for a Friday night timeslot. There are five more episodes to go for season two which is expected to wrap in early April.

What do you think? Do you like the Who Do You Think You Are? series? Glad to see it renewed?

Gina September 30, 2011 at 2:22 pm

I hope they keep renewing this show… LOVE IT! I’m totally addicted now. Thanks for a great real time reality show.

Merilyn Whitehead September 26, 2011 at 2:26 pm

So, I still don’t understand….is there going to be a third season? Please!!! We all love this show and look forward to it every week.

Thanks for the previous episodes–bring on more. It would be great to have some “unknown” people on as well. Thanks again.

admin September 26, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Merilyn Whitehead ยป The article and headline state that the show’s been renewed for season three. What’s hard to understand?

Carol Doemel September 26, 2011 at 12:30 pm

This show needs to be advertised. The first year I watched by chance, and it’s the only evening show that I can’t wait to see. I did see ads for the second season, but still a lot of people have never heard of it. Everyone I know that has watched it loves it. Please keep it going.

ScarletDove September 22, 2011 at 12:57 pm

This is an excellent and informative program, and would I love to be able to explore my ancestry in the same manner as the celebrities. It allows us a peek into the ancestry of people we know on the screen, and it indeed brings forth the humanity of each an every one who is featured. Most of us in the US whose ancestors immigrated from over seas come from the same strong roots these wonderful ancestors had when they came to this young country to start a new life. Many had quite admirable ancestors, yet others found family secrets unearthed that were not so admirable. Kudos to all who took this magnificent journey.

Staci September 21, 2011 at 10:36 am

This is the only show that I can get the whole family to sit down to watch, and when you have 5 children that’s an accomplishment. My husband and have learned tips to use with our own research, but mostly we love hearing the stories that come from the research. One of my favorites is the possible link between the ancestors of Tim McGraw and those of Elvis Presley. Tim was right, that boat would have been rockin’.
Whoever the celebrity is, it always opens a line of communication with the kids where we can tell them some of the interesting people in their own lineage. We’ve started a tradition of cooking a family recipe for dinner before the show, during dinner my husband and I talk to the kids about the person the recipe comes from or somebody else in the immediate family of that person.
I wish they would do more shows each season, maybe a celebrity one week then a non-celebrity with interesting lineage the next.

Mary Lou Holbrook September 16, 2011 at 8:04 pm

I look forward to Friday nights so I can watch this program. The information is often the topic of conversation with friends the week following the show. I love they way it teaches as it tells a wonderful story, it is well done.
Wish they would follow other people along with actors or actresses. There are fascinating stories of early Americana, find a charming relative and follow these incredible stories.

Amy September 16, 2011 at 3:08 pm

This is my FAVORITE TV show! I LOVE IT!! I’m so excited for Season 3!!!

Jo Anna September 14, 2011 at 5:18 pm

I realy love this show and found absolutely fascinating!!!! I am so glad they are renewing. I cant wait to see who they do next. Also, do your own family it is amazing the stuff you’ll pull up.

Joan Lawlor September 12, 2011 at 9:06 pm

This was a great show. I have been waiting for the new season to start…. I am very disappointed.

Terry September 12, 2011 at 5:10 pm

This is currently my favorite tv show. I’m surprised about how few people I speak with know about it. But, I tell all my friends to check it out. I hope it keeps going for many more seasons.

Jen September 10, 2011 at 6:57 am

Our book club group loves this show. After we discuss our book we discuss the latest episode. We wish that there were more episodes. Keep the new seasons coming NBC!!

Jen September 8, 2011 at 5:08 pm

I love this show. So interesting. Nice to see a side of celebs that isn’t irrelevant tabloid gossip.

John September 6, 2011 at 11:54 am

Love this show! Hope they keep it going!

Tonja August 18, 2011 at 9:41 am

I love this show. I just started watching it due to doing my own ancestry on Ancestry.com. I find it so interesting and I love history. I even found out by watching the show that I am related to Ashley Judd on both sides of the parents. I’ve rented the ones I’ve missed on Netflix, can’t wait until season 3! In fact I watched four of season one last night. : ) Besides the historical factor, it’s nice to see that the celebrities are “normal” people like everyone else.

Emily August 15, 2011 at 2:10 pm

I don’t understand how this show isn’t more popular because everybody I know says they watch it??!!