Who Do You Think You Are?

Who Do You Think You Are?Network: NBC, TLC
Episodes: Ongoing (hour)
Seasons: Ongoing

TV show dates: March 5, 2010 – TBD
Series status: Cancelled by NBC, revived by TLC

Performers include: Mocean Melvin (narrator)

current TV show

TV show description:
This documentary series is adapted from the British version of the same name. It follows popular celebrities as they trace their roots back through their own genealogy. Lisa Kudrow is an executive producer for the series that is part of a partnership with Ancestry.com.

Each episode features a different celebrity and usually focuses around a truth that is waiting to be uncovered or a family legend that needs to be investigated. The celebrity meets with genealogists and different experts from all over the world as they trace their relatives back through records to learn the truth about their families.

Not only does the series give a glimpse into the unknown lives and backgrounds of these celebrities, but it’s also an interesting take on history, as we see the different walks of life that make up our nation. Often we find that the celebrities’ lives may have even crossed paths with our own lives.

Kudrow herself has researched back through her own family tree, along with celebrities such as Sarah Jessica Parker, Matthew Broderick, Emmitt Smith, Brooke Shields, Susan Sarandon, and Spike Lee. These celebrities turn up ties to royalty, war heroes with Purple Hearts, ancestors who died in the Holocaust, enslaved ancestors, and ties to the Gold Rush.
space

Series Finale

Episode #TBD
This TV series has not ended yet.
First aired: TBD

space
What do you think? Do you like the Who Do You Think You Are? TV series? Do you think it should be cancelled or renewed for another season?

Suzanne September 9, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Uggghh! This is just sad news for me too. It was the only show I really enjoyed watching and looked forward to watching each week. Television really has gone to the “Boobs”!

Ardrey August 27, 2012 at 10:55 pm

I agree! I am very disappointed to hear they cancelled this show! So many people I know look forward each week to this show. Many of us are working on family genealogies and this gives us additional ideas for places to investigate for our own research as well as just enjoying the show! It is so well done. I’m tired of all the reality shows and shows with violence. YUCK! I find entire nights with nothing i want to watch!

Tracy August 7, 2012 at 2:01 pm

I was a huge fan of this show and am very disappointed that it’s been cancelled. This was a show that you could sit down and watch with the whole family. There’s no quality tv shows left anymore.

renee July 17, 2012 at 10:09 pm

refreshing show and something that i thought should have been seen by all> very educational and interesting to watch. maybe instead of all famous people you should throw in regular folks also. really hope it returns

albert d. bell June 17, 2012 at 7:11 pm

I found who do you think you are just a few weeks ago. this is one of the refreshing show on
t.v. . television needs to quit copying old shows and put new ideas on t.v.. I very much enjoyed this show and I would give it a 10……..
Notation: (RENEW THIS SHOW AS SOON AS POSSSIBLE)

Fadia Roberts June 16, 2012 at 11:07 am

devasting to leave us hanging like this

Jeff June 3, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Great show. I loved it.

Karen May 24, 2012 at 5:28 am

I find it hard to believe the networks keep cancelling good shows —- This being one of the best—- and leaving on shows of lesser quality and questionable content. No wonder people over their 20′s are not watching TV anymore. I have been researching my family history for over 5 years and this show has shown me ways to get info I didn’t know about even when using Ancestry.com. This is a travesty.

Karen Swiderski May 23, 2012 at 5:09 am

I love this show and look forward to it each week. It is terrible to lose a program with such quality. I learned so much each week about the celebrity,as well as the history of the US and other countries. I hope another station picks it up. Thanks Lisa Kudrow for 3 excellent seasons.

S. Rose May 19, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Another great NBC show cancelled and indicative why NBC continues to fail gaining viewers. They will once again be behind CBS. If I was an advertiser I would go elsewhere.

Heather May 19, 2012 at 11:28 am

HOW COULD THEY . I love this show .

Mary Francini May 18, 2012 at 4:15 pm

its my favorite show i have two dvds season 1 and season 2 check amazon.com

A Fan May 18, 2012 at 7:51 am

An absolute favorite of mine – good family viewing and what does NBC do – they CANCEL IT. What are you thinking?

So we now will get more murder, rape, violence, guns instead.

BOOOO!

Bethany May 16, 2012 at 1:38 am

Are they kidding??? I have never missed this show, and was expecting MORE episodes/seasons this year (like summer shows and such) NOT cancelation??? I don’t know anyone who doesn’t watch and love this program. What could possibly be better than this to garner replacing it? Sheesh!

Funny, I was just arguing about blocking NBC from our cable (over the fact that I do plan to block the channel during the full run of the Summer Olympics as I won’t give them even one second’s viewing in my household just for ruining television for 2 weeks every couple of years) But with the recent list of cancelations, I just might consider actually blocking the channel during PM hours at least. If they cancel Days of Our Lives I will not only block the channel completely but will also work as hard as I did to get Family Guy back on Fox (and it worked fyi) to make sure that as many people as possible NEVER watch the network again either. I had no idea that NBC wanted Netflix to do so well.

Rand Noel May 13, 2012 at 5:40 pm

PROVO, Utah, May 13, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Ancestry.com Inc. (Nasdaq:ACOM), the world’s largest online family history resource, today commented on NBC’s decision not to renew the Who Do You Think You Are? television series for a fourth season.
“We want to thank NBC for their support of this terrific series, which over the last three years has inspired many viewers to follow their passion to learn more about who they are and where they come from,” said Tim Sullivan, President and CEO of Ancestry.com. “We have a great partnership with the show’s producers, Is or Isn’t Entertainment and Shed Media, and we look forward to exploring other avenues of distribution.”

A Fan May 18, 2012 at 7:52 am

I sure do hope another network picks this one up – this is a travesty.