Wildfire: Why Was the ABC Family Series Cancelled?

WildfireAfter four seasons on ABC Family, teen drama Wildfire ends tonight. Devoted fans are understandably upset. So, why is it leaving?

Wildfire debuted back on June 25, 2005 and revolves around the world of horse racing. The series began with teen Kristine “Kris” Furillo (Genevieve Cortese) coming to the Raintree Farm from a juvenile detention center.

Season one averaged just over a million weekly viewers and season two increased to 1.56 million, an increase of over 50%. Unfortunately, season three dropped back to the first year’s numbers. Season four debuted in January. Soonafter, ABC Family announced that Wildfire had been cancelled.

Fans have petitioned ABC Family to continue the series. The folks at SaveWildfire.com have sent truckloads of hay, 500 cast iron horseshoes, apples, rope, and 1,000 pounds of carrots. Unfortunately, it’s higher ratings and additional viewers that the show really needs. As CBS learned from Jericho, a passionate campaign doesn’t necessarily mean that viewers will tune in.

ABC Family’s media relations manager, Amy Maloney, told the Albuquerque Journal that the fan support doesn’t come as much of a surprise. She said, “It is par for the course, in a sense that we’ve always known there is a strong fan base for the show… It’s flattering. It’s exciting.” In other words, Wildfire has a core audience but it’s not big enough for ABC Family.

Word is that Lionsgate, the company that produces the series, is looking for a new home for Wildfire. If the series is renewed, producer Lester Berman the cast and crew are ready. He says, “We’re saving a lot of the set dressing and the uniforms. We’re putting it in storage just in case there’s a miracle that [Wildfire] comes back.”

When the cast and crew wrapped their filming in June 2007, they were unsure if they would be back for season five. A few months ago, Cortese spoke proudly of Wildfire and the season four closer. She said, “I think we have one of the best casts and crews in television… On the other hand, we also end (this season) on a really cool note. I’d be glad to go back and get to work again with people I love, but if not, at least I’ll know we did a great job.” Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Emma February 29, 2012 at 5:18 pm

I miss Wildfire alot! It was the best show ever. My whole family loved watching this. So why can’t they make a season 5. I LOVE WILDFIRE! We watched like five eppisodes a night on netflix. All you fans that can’t get enough try Heartland but I still like Wildfire better, much better. Come back Wildfire! :)

sammy February 26, 2012 at 10:04 pm

I REALLY LOVED THIS SHOW!!! an miss alot :( I think they should bring it back..Its hard for us horse lovers to find a good tv series thats down are alley… And also they need to use the same exact actors if they ever decide to do it again !

Ariana February 22, 2012 at 7:12 pm

I love this show so much! I remember seeing previews a long time ago and just never watched the show. When it came to netflix I finished all 4 seasons in about 2 weeks! It was so good and I really love junior♥ I hope they continue the show still!!

Fahima February 21, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I Loved watching Wildfire, I didn’t watch all the series… But when I started to watch it I’d really enjoy it and I’m hoping to see more please

kayla February 19, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Hi people I have baught season 1234 and reali still carn beleve thre will be no mere realy upset the show is amazeing and realy wish there we’re a season 5 x

marie February 17, 2012 at 4:21 am

i would love to see this show back on. The ended with season 4 was great. There is still many more story lines left for this show. As for what becomes of pablo’s and jean’s relationship, matt and danny’s relationship, what happens with wildfire and flame carrer, what becames of the davis ranch, what and when does jean’s youngest son come home. This story real to me that not putting it back on the air is sincerly a mistake in my eyes.

sussie February 1, 2012 at 3:50 am

this was a fantastic show so much better than alot of stuff on tv now.why is it the makers stopped a good thing and leave us with alot of rubbish to watch instead its beyond belief. its about time they brought this fantastic program back on and save their money by getting rid of alot of the rubbish their showing now .

Karen January 24, 2012 at 11:11 pm

I just discovered this series via Netflix and got hooked. What an adventure to follow these family “ties that bind.” Loved the passion and bond between girl and horse…and friends, family and true love. So happy Kris and Junior got married – the wedding in meadow scene was great romance. So wish they’d bring this series back….or as a movie and take us forward into their married life and further adventures. Ahhhhh…what a rare find. Thanks to all the cast, crew and creatoos for making such a memorable, moving show.

pam January 23, 2012 at 8:50 pm

I love this tv show as do many more. I think u should totally make another series maybe of kris and junior children or something like that. id totally watch. I can’t get enough. it really great

Cathy January 21, 2012 at 9:35 am

Hi, I really liked the show, but for the future, maybe get a little more educated before having your actors make stupid comments like the bulls weighing 3000 lbs.
I am an ICA rodeo photographer, and I have never heard of a bull weighing that much. They av 2000 lbs, give or take a few.
Also, there are several other “bloopers” that I noticed.
Horse people are the ones that will be watching horse shows, and they are not stupid enough to believe that a new baby is not born without a birthsack, or afterbirth, and they are not born two weeks old. For future, the show was very good, but as far as the animals go, do a little more research.

pam January 23, 2012 at 8:55 pm

every show has its bloopers. don’t knock a good show. I know a lot about horses and bulls as well but dang don’t ruin it for other. this was an awsome series wish there could be more

marie February 17, 2012 at 4:13 am

I ve been around bull riders all my life and there’s a saying like the one you commented on that is said. So with no disrepect. You really mustn’t have some one who rides bulls in your life. My beloved step-father died doing just that. Being someone who takes photos. I believe you should relize that you didn’t do your homework.

Katie February 29, 2012 at 11:25 pm

I agree Cathy. I don’t know a lot about horse racing but I do know some things about horses and some of the “bloopers” seemed a little off. I didn’t let that ruin the show for me but at the same time, if they had done their homework, maybe more horse-lovers would have taken the show more seriously. Again, not bashing the show because I really enjoyed it!

Amber January 16, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I am just wondering when season 4 will be on DVD to buy… I like the series a lot so of course I would like it on my bookshelf completed. :)

admin January 16, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Amber » It’s already available: http://ow.ly/8vs1N

gina January 15, 2012 at 11:25 pm

I loved the show so much I watched it twice. Once on regular t.v and I re watched it on Netflix. Why do they have to take all the good shows off the air?

Anne January 13, 2012 at 11:10 pm

I just finished the 4 seasons of Wildfire and am always sad when good, clean, tv programs are cancelled. It is such a shame.

Danielle January 11, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I think this is one of the best series i have seen in a long time and personally think it could do great if put on tv again>

CHRISSIE December 31, 2011 at 12:31 pm

A very good show.I liked the end with Kris and Jr. But they could have done more with the wedding. I would like to see a fived season but only if they still be so happy together as at the end of the fourth. I also find the cast great. They feet!