Wildfire: Why Was the ABC Family Series Cancelled?

WildfireAfter four seasons on ABC Family, teen drama Wildfire ends tonight. Devoted fans are understandably upset. So, why is it leaving?

Wildfire debuted back on June 25, 2005 and revolves around the world of horse racing. The series began with teen Kristine “Kris” Furillo (Genevieve Cortese) coming to the Raintree Farm from a juvenile detention center.

Season one averaged just over a million weekly viewers and season two increased to 1.56 million, an increase of over 50%. Unfortunately, season three dropped back to the first year’s numbers. Season four debuted in January. Soonafter, ABC Family announced that Wildfire had been cancelled.

Fans have petitioned ABC Family to continue the series. The folks at SaveWildfire.com have sent truckloads of hay, 500 cast iron horseshoes, apples, rope, and 1,000 pounds of carrots. Unfortunately, it’s higher ratings and additional viewers that the show really needs. As CBS learned from Jericho, a passionate campaign doesn’t necessarily mean that viewers will tune in.

ABC Family’s media relations manager, Amy Maloney, told the Albuquerque Journal that the fan support doesn’t come as much of a surprise. She said, “It is par for the course, in a sense that we’ve always known there is a strong fan base for the show… It’s flattering. It’s exciting.” In other words, Wildfire has a core audience but it’s not big enough for ABC Family.

Word is that Lionsgate, the company that produces the series, is looking for a new home for Wildfire. If the series is renewed, producer Lester Berman the cast and crew are ready. He says, “We’re saving a lot of the set dressing and the uniforms. We’re putting it in storage just in case there’s a miracle that [Wildfire] comes back.”

When the cast and crew wrapped their filming in June 2007, they were unsure if they would be back for season five. A few months ago, Cortese spoke proudly of Wildfire and the season four closer. She said, “I think we have one of the best casts and crews in television… On the other hand, we also end (this season) on a really cool note. I’d be glad to go back and get to work again with people I love, but if not, at least I’ll know we did a great job.” Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

katrina June 8, 2012 at 7:33 am

When the show first aired on tv i watched a few but then i wasn’t able to watch it. I didn’t have time with school and work. I just watch all the season on Netfilx and i think they should make more season or maybe a movie. It’s not fair to cancel shows cuz how many people watch it. Veiwers love the show, just some people might not have time to watch it.

Kelsie Ingraham July 13, 2012 at 4:39 pm

I completely agree with u if not on abc at least on Netflix that’s where I just finished watching all of the shows last night!!!!

Lesha June 6, 2012 at 10:03 am

This show is and will always be amazing..perfect cast,perfect love.For the last couple of days,i’ve become obsessed with it….especially with Junior and Kris.This show needs to have another season.Its love story is just breath-taking and sad,cause chances of a love like kris and Junior may never happen.Oh how I love this show,I miss it.

kathryn June 5, 2012 at 11:14 am

PUT IT BACK ON!!!! There are so many people that want this show back that you WILL get people to tune in! There are just tooo many people out there who want this show!!! RE-Air!

Paula May 30, 2012 at 12:27 pm

PUT WILDFIRE BACK ON!!!!! BEST TV SHOW EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sharon Fonti May 24, 2012 at 12:57 pm

My name is Sharon Fonti, please put wildfire on abc family this year 2012 & I really liked the show, I really miss watching the show. Sincerly Sharon Fonti

Jaima May 23, 2012 at 5:48 pm

I love wildfire. I just finished watching season four! I cant believe the show hasnt kept going! Im ready for season five, wether its with abc or not I dont think wildfire fans are ready for it to be over. I know Im not! :(

tash April 28, 2012 at 6:08 pm

I just finish watching all 4 seasons and i loved it and as much as I would want to watch wildfire every single day for the rest of my life,I am gonna be heart broken if something was to happen to junior ansd kris. They have faught so hard to be together and I would rather end the show with that last memory, the best movie memory I’ve ever had. I love wildfire dearly, both the horse and the movie, I just wish matt didn’t have to get hurt at the expense of his best friend’s happiness.

sandi April 27, 2012 at 10:22 pm

I loved this show!! It was one of my Favorites ever Im so mad that they canceled it!!!! If it was to come back on i would watch it!!!!

Anna April 20, 2012 at 8:59 pm

I love this show too. It’s my favorite but seriously people? Stop crying. They ended it amazingly and ever body is happy. What wouldthe next season be about? Kris and Jr living together and wildfire retired? Nothing good would come of that.

Shyanne April 19, 2012 at 6:02 pm

I just finished the whole season. They really need to make a Season 5!!!!!! :)

Anonymous April 13, 2012 at 7:23 pm

i watched the show when it was first on. And now my 10 year old watches it. Its funny because my daughter always said that she wanted to be a jockey, so i showed her the show. Now she is actually taking classes to be a jocky when she is 18. this is a show that we can actually say inspires young minds. But to the tv media relations people its only about numbers not values anymore.

kay April 3, 2012 at 9:36 pm

they need to keep making this show it dumb that abc family says its not big enough. its a family show and a very, very good drama and abc should be ashamed of themselves for not letting more be made.

Jackey Nichols April 2, 2012 at 11:11 am

There alot of people out there that LOVES wildfire.. we need it back. I live on a horse farm I been to the tracks it was so well written, and played out. I miss it so much.. I bought the dvd to all the seasons, but 4.. were is it… why do they always take the best show off and stick us with shows that dont relate to people. i will always have a special place in my heart for wildfire..

Lauren March 29, 2012 at 11:49 am

You need to put Wildfire back on TV. This was the best show ever. Who wants to buy shows that aren’t finished.

Julie March 15, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I think this show was the best that I ever seen and I think it will be awesome if they made a season 5:))) also Ryan sypek is hecka hot!!