Wildfire: Why Was the ABC Family Series Cancelled?

WildfireAfter four seasons on ABC Family, teen drama Wildfire ends tonight. Devoted fans are understandably upset. So, why is it leaving?

Wildfire debuted back on June 25, 2005 and revolves around the world of horse racing. The series began with teen Kristine “Kris” Furillo (Genevieve Cortese) coming to the Raintree Farm from a juvenile detention center.

Season one averaged just over a million weekly viewers and season two increased to 1.56 million, an increase of over 50%. Unfortunately, season three dropped back to the first year’s numbers. Season four debuted in January. Soonafter, ABC Family announced that Wildfire had been cancelled.

Fans have petitioned ABC Family to continue the series. The folks at SaveWildfire.com have sent truckloads of hay, 500 cast iron horseshoes, apples, rope, and 1,000 pounds of carrots. Unfortunately, it’s higher ratings and additional viewers that the show really needs. As CBS learned from Jericho, a passionate campaign doesn’t necessarily mean that viewers will tune in.

ABC Family’s media relations manager, Amy Maloney, told the Albuquerque Journal that the fan support doesn’t come as much of a surprise. She said, “It is par for the course, in a sense that we’ve always known there is a strong fan base for the show… It’s flattering. It’s exciting.” In other words, Wildfire has a core audience but it’s not big enough for ABC Family.

Word is that Lionsgate, the company that produces the series, is looking for a new home for Wildfire. If the series is renewed, producer Lester Berman the cast and crew are ready. He says, “We’re saving a lot of the set dressing and the uniforms. We’re putting it in storage just in case there’s a miracle that [Wildfire] comes back.”

When the cast and crew wrapped their filming in June 2007, they were unsure if they would be back for season five. A few months ago, Cortese spoke proudly of Wildfire and the season four closer. She said, “I think we have one of the best casts and crews in television… On the other hand, we also end (this season) on a really cool note. I’d be glad to go back and get to work again with people I love, but if not, at least I’ll know we did a great job.” Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

A few new fans January 6, 2013 at 4:34 pm

We started watching Wildfire 2 weeks ago and finished all four seasons as of tonight. We love this show. Heard about it from a friend who loves it too. Can you please continue and bring us a season 5?

Alyssa December 30, 2012 at 3:34 pm

BEST SHOW EVER! i watched every season when it first aired back in 05′ and now just rewatched the last season on Hulu. So disappointed there was no true ending to the show…. BRING IT BACKKKK

notafan December 26, 2012 at 10:59 pm

This show sucks. the main character is extremely dumb. one star.

david December 17, 2012 at 7:10 am

Ance family network u really should bring wildfire back that was the best dam shoe on tv why are u guys and girls ance family network being shelfish about the show BRING IT BACK NOW u will have a ton of raitings that u want I will watch every show u have of wildfire and then some so bring it back damit

Monica goode November 29, 2012 at 10:31 pm

I starting watching wildfire on netflix and it was one of the best shows. Im very sad that there was not a 5 th season. They dont make shows like this anymore.

Debbie November 27, 2012 at 8:49 am

I was just introduced to Wildfire on Netflix…. and WOW!!!! I watched all 4 seasons in one month (maybe less). This is so like a great book that you just can not put down. A great mixture of family values, great friendship, and of course HORSES. I was really disappointed to find out that Wildfire had been discontinued. I hope you guys can find some way to pull things back together. Please, let me know if you do. Could there possibly have been something else going on in our country during season 3 to have caused the fall in ratings, or did you put enough into the promotion of the upcoming season? Well, anyways you have a great, great group acting in this show and they did an outstanding job!!!!! Loved it!
Sincerely, One heartbroken grandmother (57yrs)
Best to all in the future!!!

Marcella November 26, 2012 at 3:29 am

Hi my name is Marcella I have been a big fan of wildfire from the time it first came out and now I have watched it all over and I would love it if wildfire could start back up

Colleen November 14, 2012 at 8:40 am

I’m a huge fan of Wildfire. I started watching it on Hulu and was instantly hooked and watched every show. PLEASE bring it back!!!!!

Brenden Lundy November 10, 2012 at 9:39 am

Hell,my name is Brenden Lundy and I love horses.Wildfire has been the best TV Show I’ve ever seen.Please start it up again for the Fans.Even if its only comes on once every two weeks.Wildfire made me cry when it ended and I’m usually emotional about movies but I manage to hold them back.Wildfire made me literially cry.You can’t just end it with Kris getting married and that’s it.Do it for the fans regaredless of how many views.Thanks for reading and please contact me.

Nicole October 28, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I wish wildfire would come back, and it was and still is my favorite show. I love all the characters and would love to watch it again, and I can’t tell you how many times I’ve watched all the seasons on net fix just over and over again. I’d love o see it again. Great show its like I’m in the show its like my life kinda. I hope it comes back. (=

brenda posey October 13, 2012 at 1:11 am

but please bring it back on tv or netflix i am 55 year old love this show i wach it on netflix over and over so if any one can bring please put the word out there so some one will do it abc, nbc.fox tv, thank you so much
brenda

Cassie Crain October 11, 2012 at 11:01 am

The show had me from the start and kept pulling me in… I would love to see it continue. I would how ever need to buy stock in Kleenex but would do it just to see it continue… Very beautiful, heart warming story.

valerie September 7, 2012 at 8:29 pm

I absolutely loved the Wildfire shows..I sure do wish that the show hadnt ended..I love Junior…(Ryan Sypek)..

Neila Hay September 3, 2012 at 6:11 pm

I’m a 55 year old Grandma and I loved watching this series. Couldn’t waite til it came on the week, look forword for it. I also would like to know what happened too.

Steph August 25, 2012 at 11:07 pm

I started watching Wildfire on Netflix and this is my 2nd time watching every season. I am addicted and wish it would start up again. I would love to know what happens next.