Wipeout: ABC Orders More Episodes, Network Plans Winter 2011 Run

WipeoutThe reality series has been a successful performer in the summer months so ABC has decided to try a winter edition as well. Here’s the information from the network.

ABC ANNOUNCES WINTER “WIPEOUT” SET TO PREMIERE IN JANUARY

The Big Balls are shivering in anticipation because this January, ABC’s “Wipeout” is back with a brand new “Winter Wonderland” course, complete with slippery ice, frosty snow and numerous avalanches of Wipeouts. Cold climate-loving contestants will bundle up as they compete on all-new stunts such as the Spanker Sleds, the Wipeout Ski Lift and the Polar Bear Run. So cozy up by the fire with a cup of hot chocolate, and join us for a winter edition that is sure to “Wipeout” your winter blues. This new winter series will be in addition to the summer series of season four, bringing the season episode order to 24 episodes.

“‘Wipeout’ is one of Endemol’s most successful global hits, and it’s exciting to see the brand expanding,” said David Goldberg, Chairman of Endemol USA. “I’m thrilled that fans of the summer version will now be able to get their fix of laughs and wipeouts set in a winter wonderland.”

“Wipeout” is hosted by John Anderson (ESPN’s “SportsCenter,”), John Henson (E! Entertainment’s “Talk Soup”) and co-hosted by Jill Wagner.

In Wipeout, 24 energetic, new contestants of all ages, shapes and sizes go head to head through four rounds of demanding but hilarious obstacle courses to win the title of “Wipeout Champion” and the $50,000 grand prize. In the end, only one contestant will be victorious, while everyone else will Wipeout!

“Wipeout” executive producers are Matt Kunitz (“Fear Factor”) and Scott Larsen. Shye Sutherland, Kevin Wehrenberg, Trice Barto and J. Rupert Thompson are co-executive producers. The series is produced by Endemol USA. David Goldberg is the chairman of Endemol North America.

About Endemol USA
Endemol USA is a leading producer of television programming specializing in reality and non-scripted genres for network and cable television. The company produces the break-out hits “Deal or No Deal,” “Wipeout,” “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition” and “Big Brother.” Endemol USA is a division of the Endemol Group, a prominent international content developer, producer and distributor of television and online programming. The company, headquartered in the Netherlands, has subsidiaries and joint ventures in 25 countries, including the major European markets, the U.S., South Africa, Argentina, Brazil, Mexico and Australia. Endemol is owned by a consortium consisting of Goldman Sachs Capital Partners, Mediaset Group and Cyrte Group. For more information, please visit http://www.endemolusa.tv. Endemol is a privately held company.

What do you think? Do you think it’s a good idea to run this show in the winter months?

tyler January 27, 2011 at 6:57 pm

CAN I BE ON YOUR NAXT SHOW IAM 10

kim (male) mock January 25, 2011 at 2:19 pm

I think its a really good show and hope they keep it running love to watch it pretty brave ppl but keep it up just told someone else they ought to see it they’ll love it too

Shanena January 21, 2011 at 1:31 pm

I think it’s definately a great idea to keep this running…last night was the first night my son and I got to catch the show (1/20/11) we absolutely laughed til our abs hurt. We’d like to know how to get on the show… :)

Russ January 12, 2011 at 7:17 am

This show is fantastic. As far as sherryrae40, we watch this show to see what ridiculous antics people are willing to go through to be called a champion, and the $50,000 doesn’t hurt either. I watched this show with my kids for the first time last week and it was hilarious. Now my kids want to see if I could be the wipeout champ. Anyone that can’t enjoy this show needs to take a serious step back from the harshness of reallity and learn to enjoy some of the stupid things in life.

CAROL January 9, 2011 at 9:43 am

I am happy to see wipeout winter, I missed it. Winter, summer, it is good to have a “reality show” that is funny. Television has been taken over by ridiculous, nauseating, and insulting reality shows.

iamurmstr January 5, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Hilarious show
Should have its own network
Dont know why some people (above me) can not laugh at hilarious shows

sherryrae40 October 19, 2010 at 10:57 am

How can anyone even watch this show… they cancel good shows and keep this one… ABC just amazes me. I don’t know why people in this country find people falling and getting hurt amusing.

Sam Steffen October 15, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Flashfoward

Mars Man October 15, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Honestly wipe out was fun when it started but unlike other reality shows there is only so many time you can watch it before becoming bored with the whole concept.

Ross October 14, 2010 at 3:32 pm

I don’t think it’ll work, because it could lose in the ratings.

Fox Jericho October 14, 2010 at 11:22 am

Boring to watch. Someone got killed on this show. How was this thing not canceled? Stupid, pointless, boring…

Stew Stein November 4, 2010 at 12:16 pm

That is a false statement. Check your resources.

david182 October 14, 2010 at 11:02 am

wipeout is badass, i think it will work any season!!! seeing people fall and get hit never gets old haha!

adam October 14, 2010 at 7:58 am

I’m a big fan of Wipeout, but it strikes me as more of a summertime show. I don’t think it’s as inviting to watch people take dives into water when it’s cold outside. Some shows just say “summer” to me, and this is one of them.

It’s like when they did that spring series of Big Brother. I enjoy Big Brother, but I’m more in the mood for scripted programs in the fall and spring. It’s the same reason I don’t like hot soup in the summer and ice cream in the winter. There are other factors that dictate how much you enjoy something, and I think ABC may be missing out on that.

Aaron Falvo October 13, 2010 at 8:08 pm

I’m more than happy with Wipeout coming back in the winter but I’m worried about how successful it could be.

Remember when So You Think You Can Dance tried a season out of the summer? That didn’t work out so well.

Amber October 13, 2010 at 5:23 pm