Women’s Murder Club: ABC Kills Angie Harmon Series’ Chances for Season Two

IMAGEWith October Road and Men in Trees now cancelled, ABC seems to be on a killing spree — not unlike the “Kiss-Me-Not” killer on Women’s Murder Club. With that in mind, it makes sense that Murder Club would be the network’s next casualty.

ABC’s Women’s Murder Club, based on the popular James Patterson books, debuted on October 12, 2007. Viewer and critical reception was mixed. Almost 11 million viewers tuned in for the series premiere but as few as eight million returned for later episodes. More importantly, the TV show’s percentage of the 18-49 demographic dropped as well. The show typically skews older which is essentially a sin in TV ratings.

After the writers strike finished, it looked like Murder Club was done but ABC decided to give it another chance. They fired the show’s executive producers, hired new ones and order three additional episodes to complete the season. The series then returned to primetime after a three month absence. Unfortunately, the numbers didn’t get any better.

The crime drama has now been officially cancelled but, fortunately for fans, they’ll get to see all of the produced episodes. Episode 13, titled “Never Tell”, is scheduled to air tomorrow night. Will the “Kiss-Me-Not” killer be brought to justice by the time the series ends? Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Mari for texas June 21, 2009 at 9:12 pm

i wish other station would pick up WMC cause i loved this show and i want it to be one top rated show so show ABC they did a bad thing not picking up WMC… ABC was wrong to let this show go….

Debbie Sullivan June 10, 2009 at 2:34 pm

When will WMC air again. I can’t believe it is gone forever! Friday nights aren’t the same. I’ve been waiting for it to come back.

christel April 19, 2009 at 4:54 am

je trouve de├ževant que les producteurs de cette bonne serie , decident de ne pas la renouveller alors qu en france nous ont adores cette serie alors messieurs les producteurs bouger vous les fesses et creer une suite et d autre saison en lui donnant une chance , women’s murder club est vraiment une bonne serie je compte sur vous merci

Vicky April 7, 2009 at 11:32 am

I was checking to see when WMC was going to get started again, and alas…it’s cancelled! That’s truly a shame! I really enjoyed the series and thought that they cast good actors for the characters from the WMC book series by James Patterson, even Angie Harmon as Lindsay Boxer, and especially her TV-ex, Rob Estes as Tom Logan (I always liked him in that detective series from the 90’s, Silk Stalkings). FYI, “the adorable blonde” is not Yuki, but is Jill from the earlier books. It’s too bad ABC has seen fit to cancel a lot of shows recently, like Eli Stone, Life on Mars and Kyle X/Y (ABC family)…these were 3 of 4 shows I watched regularly from ABC. Other than these, I’m not into any others. Reality shows are definitely NOT my thing. Wish you could bring some of these back!

Rita April 2, 2009 at 11:50 am

I did not like the series. I thought Angie Harmon was totally miscast for the role of Lindsay – for crying out loud her physical description alone was totally wrong. Yuki the attorney in the books (Asian decent) is played by an adorable little blonde – Someone really took liberaties with the casting – I enjoyed the cast with the exception of Angie Harmon but for true Patterson fans, this was hard to handle.

Erika April 1, 2009 at 8:27 pm

I agree…I thought this was a very good show and I am in the 18 – 49 year age range they were looking for on viewership…but Friday night? I have a small child and my husband and I frequently get a babysitter on Friday night to relieve the work week stress…even Saturdays would be better for us or any other week night (like Wednesdays at 7 CST when no hour shows are on). I also agree with Donna…there are a lot of new shows that keep coming out that I’d like to see but they keep putting them in primetime spots where they compete against a lot of viewer favorites!

Courtney April 1, 2009 at 8:19 pm

i cant believe this happened!!! i love Womens Murder Club soooo much.
it made me impatient and i could wait till Fridays, when it was being showed.
I was so looking forward to the next season, but then it never aired. i could care less if it had bad ratings, everyone who did watch it LOVED it and couldnt wait to watch it to see what happened next. i wish it would air again, i love it just as much as grey’s anatomy

Julie March 28, 2009 at 7:11 pm

Still hoping another network picks up WMC. I reread Patterson’s WMC books from the first on. I was really impressed with the tv cast choices and how they worked together. ABC you seriously blew it.

DAWN March 17, 2009 at 3:24 pm

I must agree how can they cancel a show as great as Wonana Murder Club. I do not watch the strange sitcoms they keep wanting to air. I would love to see Womans Murder Club return

DONNA March 11, 2009 at 1:00 pm

I AM NOT SURE HOW YOU KNOW HOW MANY PEOPLE WATCH A SHOW BUT THERE SEEMS TO BE A LOT OF PEOPLE YOU LIKED THIS SHOW. I WOULD LIKE TO ALSO ADD I DO NOT KNOW WHO IS THE PERSON WITH THE BRAINS WHEN IT COMES TO THE TIME SLOT FOR THESE SHOWS, BUT THEY NEED TO TAKE A BETTER LOOK AT WHERE YOU PUT NEW SHOWS. I HAVE WANTED TO WATCH A LOT OF NEW SHOWS BUT, THEY ARE PUT ON AT THE SAME TIME SLOT AS A VERY POPULAR SHOW SUCH AS LOST, HERO’S, PRISON BREAK, OR 24. I HAPPEN TO LIKE ALL THESE SHOWS AND IF YOU PUT A NEW SHOW AT THE SAME TIME AS THESE YOU ARE NOT GOING TO GET ME TO CHANGE THE CHANEL. I AM NOT A FAN OF UGLY BETTY OR MY NAME IS EARL OR SHOWS LIKE THAT, SO IF YOU PUT A THRILLER OF A MYSTERY OF A COP SHOW AT THE SAME TIME AS ONE OF THESE YOU WOULD GET ME TO WATCH. I HAVE WATCHED LOST FROM THE FIRST SHOW I AM A HUGE FAN, I DO NOT CARE HOW GOOD YOUR NEW SHOW WAS OR WHO WAS ACTING IN IT YOU WILL NOT WIN ME TO THE NEW SHOW, SO PLEASE STOPPPPPP PUTTING GREAT NEW SHOWS IN TIME SLOTS WITH MY FAVES THANKS

Catherine March 7, 2009 at 8:35 am

I am soooooo disappointed to hear the wmc has been cancelled! I agree with everyone here that is complaining about it. I really loved the show and was looking forward to the second season! Please bring it back. its about the only thing worth watching these days. I have to wonder how some of these shows ever get past season 1, especially all the stupid reality shows, but a perfectly normal and very good detective show gets cut. It just doesnt make sense to me and i think you should listen to every1 here and bring it back!

Laura March 4, 2009 at 9:36 am

I really liked this show and just goggled it because I’ve been waiting for the new season to start. Am VERY disappointed it got cancelled and would love to see them bring it back. I’ll be more faithful in the future – I promise!
PS I agree with one comment about cutting back on the reality show – they’re junk food and we need some good staples in our TV diet too. I am very well have to turn off my TV and go buy some more of Pattersons books.

Amy February 25, 2009 at 1:40 pm

Please bring it back. I love this show and have been waiting for its return. I never heard, until today, that it had been cancelled. Please reconsider and bring back the show!

Sharon February 8, 2009 at 2:56 pm

Im from NZ and I loved WMC – Angie is great…. Bring it back, Im sick of all the good shows getting cancelled I only get to see a few episodes I get into them then they get chopped – Boo ABC

Barb February 6, 2009 at 7:19 pm

I think they need to get rid of some of the reality shows. I really enjoyed wmc &men in trees. I think the reason the numbers were down. Is know one knew what day or time these shows would just appear. Please keep this in mind.