Women’s Murder Club: ABC Series Given Another Chance for Survival

Women's Murder ClubThere’s some good news for fans of ABC’s Friday night drama, Women’s Murder Club. It’s not dead yet!

The series premiered on October 12, 2007 to mediocre reviews but good ratings, leading in both total viewership (10.8 million) and adults 18-49. The ratings dropped following the premiere but continued to win its Friday night timeslot. The downside was that its audience skewed older than younger.

Only 10 of 13 ordered episodes of Murder Club were completed due to the writers strike. Once the strike was settled, ABC sent mixed signals about the show’s future. On the one side, they fired three of the drama’s executive producers, indicating that they wanted to make some changes to try to save the series. Days later, the network ordered that the sets be dismantled, almost ensuring the show’s cancellation. Then, according to TV Guide, the destruction was halted as ABC execs rethought their plans and continued to look for a new showrunner.

Thankfully for fans of Murder Club, Robert Nathan — a former co-executive producer and writer for shows like Law & Order, Law & Order: SVU, and ER — has taken the job. Because of the change in creative leadership, there may be some changes to the drama but a show spokesperson insists “There are no plans to revamp the series dramatically or shift the emphasis in any way. It remains a procedural focused on the four women leads who partner together to solve crimes.”

Three more episodes will be produced for this season and should kick off in late April. ABC will likely be looking very closely at the performance of the three final episodes before making their final decision in mid-May. Because Women’s Murder Club has been off the air since December, many viewers may have forgotten about it. So, the show has a tough road ahead but it’s certainly not dead yet. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Canceled and renewed TV show

21 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. chris says

It’s very discouraging to be cut off from shows that are enjoyable. Reality TV is uninspired, has no imagination, and is BORING!!!! Please bring back Women’s Murder Club!

2. Diane says

There are so few shows that middle age folks can watch and enjoy. Let the young ones have all of the reality shows and slap stick comedy. Women’s Murder Club was a nice change from all the Law & Order shows that have been on for many years. Please reconsider, for us BABY BOOMERS.

3. Nadine says

Please bring this show back. There is so little decent on tv to watch. Friday nights are the pits for television. Also, I’m sorry I’m tooooooo old for the tv execs. Of course I feel they all need to get a grip on the world. Bring back the show. We’ve been watching reruns and ‘reality tv’ enough!!!!!!

4. Sue Colley says

I could think of a lot of other shows to be cancelled other than Women’s Murder Club.
    I love this show and it was the only thing worth watching on a Friday night. I hope you reconsider.

5. Leisa says

Please bring this show back! It is the best new show this season. My husband even loves watching this show with me!!!!!!Please don’t keep it up against SVU is a sure sign of death, Move it to a better slot and the rating will go up!

6. Nancy Lorey says

Please renew this show. It has barely gotten started and ABC certainly has a hit on it’s hands. Keep those great women in their roles. The men I know were making sure they got to watch this entertaining program, not to mention all the women.

7. lynn barrett says

I really hope thy bring this show back friday is bad enough as it is I not in the target audience either .

8. cheri says

my family and i just love the show and the cast is perfect. so please give a great show a chance to pick up and fight. we are pulling for them . love, love…… the show and miss it terribly. the Fitzgerald family. IN ROCKWALL, TX.

9. Hollie says

I Love the show and would hate to see it cancelled!!!!! Friday is a horrible TV night I was so excitied to hear they took James Pattersons series and put it on primetime. Please renew for the fall!!!

10. Sue says

We love this show – the cast is great, the stories interesting, the characters well-developed. This show should stay on the air; it makes Friday night tv. Hope it’s renewed.

11. kristen says

please hurry up with season 1 dvds i watch lasvegas so couldnt watch this show. but love abc my fave abc show is desperate housewives.

12. Marie says

I am also looking forward to this show’s return. Friday night has been a wasteland since it ended because of the strike. Problem the producers will find is that I am older than their target audience…woe is me.

13. Evelyn says

Love the show, much better than most of the crap out there. Friday night is awful WMC, was the one great program, now there is nothing.

14. Karen Smith says

I have read all the books and really enjoyed the series. I think Angie Harmon is wonderful. I hope ABC renews it for the fall–Fri. nites are awful!

15. Lisa says

I love this show. I hope they will continue with the series. It seems like all the good shows end up cancelling. I really hope the Womans Murder Club stays a hit.