Xena: Warrior Princess: Series Creators Want to Resurrect Heroine

Xena and GabrielleIt’s been over seven years since Xena (Lucy Lawless) and Gabrielle (Renee O’Connor) said goodbye to the world of syndication. The series creators of Xena: Warrior Princess would like to round up the cast to do a new project and there are thousands of fans who want to see a reunion. So why isn’t it happening?

Xena: Warrior Princess debuted on September 4, 1995 and ran for six seasons. The historical fantasy series follows the exploits of brave Xena, formerly a villain on Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, on her quest for redemption. Xena and Gabrielle travel the countryside during the days of ancient Greece, helping those in need.

The series and Xena said goodbye after 134 episodes and fans immediately started hoping for another adventure — especially after seeing the final fate of their heroine. In 2003, screenwriter Katherine Fugate was reportedly approached about writing a reunion movie.

Should Xena return?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Lawless has expressed interest and Rob Tapert, one of the show’s creators and Lawless’ husband, says that he wants to do one as well. Lawless says, “It’ll have to happen fairly soon. If it takes much longer, they’ll cast some 20 year old in the role and ask me to play the mother. I’d tell them to go to hell, or worse — I’d do it.”

Tapert recently told Sci Fi Wire, “We said long ago that we’d love to do something… we have a fun, 300-style idea for it.” Unfortunately, NBC Universal, the studio that owns the show, doesn’t seem to be interested. Tapert says, “That’s a [NBC] Universal question… I don’t control the strings.”

Tapert is currently working as one of the executive producers on another syndicated fantasy series, Legend of the Seeker. The show follows a woodsman (Craig Horner) who discovers that he has secret powers, is transformed into a magical leader, and must stop an evil tyrant. It’s based on a book by Terry Goodkind and co-created by Samn Raimi. Lawless recently hosted a preview of the series and the regular show debuts the week of November 1st.

If this new series is popular enough, could it cause the studio to reconsider producing a new Xena project? If so, could a resurrection satisfy the fans? Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Canceled and renewed TV show

32 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. yrangel says

I grew up watching Xena she was a big inspiration, I was heart broken when it went off the air especially killing Xena off! Not cool!!! Grrr! So please! Bring her back. It would be an Awesome reunion. Long Long over due.

2. says

An old issue, but still going desire of actresses Lucy Lawless and Renee O’Connor millions upon millions of international fans.

3. says

Ok, How many times do We all have to Repeat This??? WE WANT A XENA MOVIE WITH THE ONE AND ONLY XENA LUCY LAWLESS AND RENEE OCONNOR AS GABRIELLE NOW!!!!! GOT IT!!!!!! The Owners of Xena MADE A BIG MISTAKE THEY NEED TO CORRECT THIS NOW.ITS XENA LUCY LAWLESS AND REN AS GAB OR NO MOVIE!!!! We will keep do this til THEY Owners Of XWP gets it Right!!!!!

4. LizzyHope says

I hopr that they make a movie. As long as Lucy & Renee are in their roles. However the fact that they couldn’t have Ares in it sucks (Kevin Smith died). Also does anybody remember what channel it originally aired on in the United States?

5. natasha says

bring xena back come on theres to many people who would love to see her back and if the nbc isnt interested find someone who is the people are the ones who pay u to make ur shows so give us something back that we would buy cuz we want to not cuz we have to……… i know id love to watch more zena i hate how it ended it sucked xena should never have died period…. i think sometimes they dont show the shows the people really want cuz they to busy trying to come up with new ideas that sometimes sucks if u ask me …….. please bring her back my whole family would love it and billions of other people would to

6. Lost MySmile says

It was disappointing to see how Tapert, as well as the studios, killed the protagonist. I mean, the story was ok (it’s an art in its own way), but to kill the main character and leave her dead, COME ON! I like HTLJ’s ending, since they “did say” that they will retire, but we were left with the idea that they kept going on more adventures.

They did say many times that Xena had come to take over as TV’s new heroin, replacing the idea of Wonder Woman. But Wonder Woman didn’t DIE, Xena did, and so the expectations of the adventures to come back. I think I can speak for most of us that I am pleased with what the show had give us, but since we are not getting more seasons, the least thing you (NBC/Universal ppl) is to end Xena’s story in a decent way, and with dignity. Please write to the studio. I know that many people around the world (not only USA) is doing so. Maybe we can change their minds.

Keep Xena ALIVE! GO XENA!!!!

7. HCK says

I think a direct to DVD is a great idea. We get a movie and Im sure it would raise a lot of money and all that jazz.

Plus, it probably wouldnt do as well in theatres. The others are right….original cast only, NO ONE can substitute for them.

8. Anonymous says

I don’t know if they could pull it off, since Kevin passed away (and I mean come on they have to put Ares in there somewhere, he’s a great character). Plus with Xena’s death and everything, I think they’d be dragging it through the mud. The ending was sort of disappointing, but it had good closure at least.

9. Anonymous says

I want, Really want, Xena movie! We all actually want…) It would be amazing)
    P.s.And only Lucy and Renee must play Xena and Gabrielle.

10. Ducky says

If they did a direct-to-DVD movie that might be more cost-effective and thus attractive to the studio. I doubt a Xena movie released in theaters would be very successful.