Zero Hour: New ABC Series; Cancel or Keep It?

Zero Hour cancel or keep?Last week, ABC unveiled Zero Hour, their newest Thursday night TV show. Will this one be quickly cancelled like Last Resort or will it become a long-running hit like Grey’s Anatomy? Cancel or keep it?

On Zero Hour, the publisher of a myth/conspiracy magazine searches for his missing wife and becomes pulled into a compelling mystery that has world-wide implications and goes back centuries. The series features the talents of Anthony Edwards, Addison Timlin, Carmen Ejogo, Dylan Baker, Jacinda Barrett, Michael Nyqvist, and Scott Michael Foster.

The debut of Zero Hour drew a 1.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.38 million total viewers. It was in a distant third place in its timeslot and was the worst regular season premiere that ABC has ever had. Ouch.

Of course, trouble in this timeslot is nothing new for ABC.

In 2010, they tried My Generation. This ensemble drama debuted to just a 1.6 demo rating and was pulled off the air in two weeks.

In 2011, the new Charlie’s Angels debuted in the same timeslot to a 2.1 demo rating. It was cancelled within weeks and production was shut down. ABC aired seven of eight produced episodes.

This past September, Last Resort premiered to a 2.2 in the demo and the numbers quickly tumbled in the ensuing weeks. The show was cancelled but the cast and crew were able to wrap things up by episode 13.

So, unless the ratings for Zero Hour quickly climb, it seems this show is doomed to be quickly canned as well. A second season seems out of the question but hopefully the alphabet network will at least release all 13 installments.

But, what do you think? Do you like Zero Hour? Should ABC stick with it or pull it off the air already? Cancel or keep it?

carlene wilson February 22, 2013 at 11:30 am

Do not cancel this show. I still not happy with ABC not putting Missing back on for
a second season. If Abc doesn’t start playing the games with the show they have
that are successful, they will be lose even more viewers. Getting really fed up ABC

Mary Ann Kunkel February 22, 2013 at 11:18 am

2/21 The volume of the music and background noise prevented hearing the dialogue and
it was very disappointing. Clean up the production. It is a good thriller, which ABC does not have . Too many reality shows, in my opinion.

Jeffrey Goodman February 22, 2013 at 10:41 am

Not impressed. Good actors but the writing is subpar. DaVinci Code – esque in nature, but no where near as good. I wanted to like it – I love story lines of this genre. But so far it will seal its own fate. Bring back Last Resort or even 666 Park Avenue.

Anthony February 22, 2013 at 10:20 am

I wanted to like this show; it has all the elements of fun “brain candy” TV that I could want — ancient secrets, leftover Nazis, secret societies. “Zero Hour” should be something to sit back and relax with.

But… It’s terrible. There’s nothing to this that hasn’t been seen time and again in the same type of show over the last 40 years. And the acting? Ugh. I’ve seen better at rehearsals for high school plays. This show doesn’t even reach the level of a “SyFy original series,” and that’s setting a low bar.

I’ll be surprised if it isn’t canceled.

mars February 22, 2013 at 9:31 am

Zero Hour is the BOMB! Last nights episode was ssoooooo intreging & compelling I could not move from my chair! PLEEEEEAZE KEEP this show and get RID of TRASH T.V. like the bachelor! P.S. SCREW YOU nichole You wouldn’t know good programming if it slapped you in the face

primetime blabber February 22, 2013 at 7:38 am

it doesn’t matter what we think….ABC is going to cancel it, they cancel everything in that time slot, unless it’s a reality show….

Austin February 22, 2013 at 7:08 am

it should be kept it has a great plot and if they cancel it (Like they did alcatraz) I will be disapointed in abc

Anonymous February 22, 2013 at 6:41 am

keep it, definitely keep it.

Melissa February 22, 2013 at 6:38 am

Keep the show. I’m seriously intrigued by the history and the drama of it all. I would hate to see it canceled after season 1.h

Elaine February 22, 2013 at 5:25 am

I’m hooked on it! Hope they don’t cancel!

Nicole February 22, 2013 at 2:30 am

Cancel it. I recorded last week and promptly deleted it after only watching 20 minutes of the series. Didn’t even bother setting the dvr this week nor did I tune in. The show is all over the place and awful–I don’t care to discuss the horrible acting either.

Harvey Schwartz February 22, 2013 at 1:59 am

Has a lot of potential. Let’s give it a chance. Might get really good.

Taylor February 22, 2013 at 12:00 am

Please keep it

jaye February 21, 2013 at 11:56 pm

Watching the second episode now. Would like to see it continue a bit. I like a good conspiracy theory.

John Stone February 21, 2013 at 11:50 pm

This catholic bs religious jesus crap should be flushed.
Tired old story lines,