Are You There, Chelsea?: Cancelled, No Season Two

cancelled Are You There Chelsea?It’s closing time for Chelsea and her pals. NBC has decided to cancel the low-rated sitcom Are You There, Chelsea? after 12 episodes and one season.

Based on a book by Chelsea Handler, Are You There, Chelsea? follows the life of an opinionated and unapologetic young woman (Laura Prepon) who lives life to the fullest as a cocktail waitress. She’s many things to many people — friend, daughter, sister, and sexually dynamic “advanced drinker.” Others in the cast include Lenny Clarke, Lauren Lapkus, Jake McDorman, Mark Povinelli, Ali Wong, and (occasionally) Chelsea Handler.

The sitcom had a decent start — registering a 2.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.18 million viewers — but things went downhill from there.

Was Chelsea? better than what the ratings indicated?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Subsequent episodes of Chelsea saw big drops in the ratings and, over the course of the season, went as low as a 1.1 rating in the demo and 2.88 million. It aired opposite American Idol on FOX but these were numbers were poor even if you take the stiff competition into consideration.

The season ended up averaging a 1.5 rating in the demo with 3.76 million. Had the season gone on longer, the averages would have dropped further. On our NBC Ratings Report Card, which measures the relative demo success of shows on the network, the show has a “B-” grade.

To no real surprise, NBC has cancelled Chelsea. The last episode aired on March 28th. The peacock network has ordered several new sitcoms for 2012-13, hoping they’ll last longer than Chelsea did.

What do you think? Are you sorry that NBC has cancelled Chelsea? Do you think the show was better than what the ratings indicated? What would you liked to have seen happen in season two?

Amanda Saunders October 5, 2014 at 8:19 pm

I don’t know why so many of the good sitcoms that air on television are always cancelled. There was so many I enjoyed and was looking forward to seeing more of that we’re taken off the air. I, personally love laura Prepon as an actress. She makes any show I watch more worth seeing, and I think this show should’ve continued !!

karri bradshaw September 26, 2013 at 1:44 pm

i loved this show
so disappointed that it was cancelled

Rachel September 22, 2013 at 9:27 am

Daaaaamn I started to watch R U there Chelsea right after Orange is the new black. I want a second season. This show is so cool!

ritsa June 16, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Are you there Chelsea was one of the best new comedies i think to hit TV, i have watched it over and over again and dont understand as to why it got cancelled all i can say is that reality tv has taken over and good shows are getting cancelled cause of it or some vampire movie or some ridiculous show like fear factor gets to stay on tv. That within itself shows what tv is doing to people. In one year i have watched a few good shows and only to find out they are cancelled. Last resort, cancelled after one season, GCB cancelled, red widow cancelled now that is one show i cant figure out as to why that got cancelled either. Bring back Are you there Chelsea, chelsea handler was hilarious the way she does her comedy and the character that played Didi was so funny. Shows are being cancelled not cause people are not watching them but because noone watches tv anymore everyone downloads episodes online now that is why the tv stations thinks noone is watching but beleive me we are watching now stop the disappointments and bring it back to air.

Melissa April 29, 2013 at 11:15 pm

I loved this show…I waited all season for Chelsea and rick to hook up and you finish it with them kissing in the car. Bring out a second season…I want to know what happens with there relationship.

Moeni April 25, 2013 at 5:25 am

I watched are you there chelsea on german tv and i really like it!! I really want to see more!!

Meike Ina April 4, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Well I am from Germany and I really really like Chelsea! It is the only show I always watch on TV and I watch the Episodes in English because the German translation is to slow :/
Please bring it back…!

Anonymous April 4, 2013 at 10:32 am

How come all the shows i enjoy watching get canceled… it’s like tv is punishing me by bringing out shows that i actually think are funny and then cancelling them

Chelsea FC News March 29, 2013 at 12:11 pm

This is my first time go to see at here and i am genuinely pleassant to read all at
alone place.

Amy March 27, 2013 at 12:37 pm

REALLY sad this show has ended. I thought it was hilarious. I looked forward to it every week! Please bring it back! It was really a great show!

Lu December 14, 2012 at 1:38 pm

OMG!!! I LOVED CHELSEA!! Come on, i cant believe, it is much better than these stupid series about wolfs and vampire or whatever

Jessica Smith October 16, 2012 at 11:49 am

I really liked this show and am REALLY disappointed that its cancelled :(
I would like it to come back please!!!!!1