CW 2013-14 Season Ratings (updated 9/1/14)

cw-tv-show-ratingsOf the five networks, The CW has the fewest hours of primetime to fill but they’re not finding it any easier to find hits. Most of their returning shows are way down year-to-year and some of their new series are struggling. Which will be cancelled or renewed? Stay tuned!

CW shows this season (so far): The 100, America’s Next Top Model, Arrow, Backpackers, Beauty and the Beast, The Carrie Diaries, Famous in 12, Hart of Dixie, Masters of Illusion, Nikita, The Originals, Penn & Teller: Fool Us, Reign, Seed, Supernatural, The Tomorrow People, The Vampire Diaries, and Whose Line Is It Anyway?.

How does The CW decide what to cancel or renew? They look at a lot of different factors but the ratings play an important role. The higher the ratings, the better chance a show has of surviving. Here’s how the network’s shows are doing so far:

Check other networks’ rankings: ABC | CBS | FOX | NBC | ABC Family | TNT

Note: If you’re not seeing the updated charts, please try reloading the page. You can also see them here and here.

A couple of notes about these charts:
These figures are updated automatically as new ratings are released. The averages are based on the final national numbers (live plus same day viewing), unless marked with an asterisk (*). For technical reasons, I have to resort them manually so feel free to let me know if I missed something.

Keep in mind that the demo numbers are typically what’s most important to advertisers. Therefore, that’s how the networks measure success. Advertisers pay more for ad time on a show that has a higher demo rating. Because older viewers don’t count? No, it’s because younger viewers watch less traditional TV and are therefore supposedly harder to reach.

Demo numbers are typically reported using the 10ths decimal place (2.4, for example). In the averages, I’m using an extra decimal for easier ranking.

The networks take into account when shows air on Fridays or Saturday, nights when TV viewership is lower.

What do you think? Which shows are you rooting for? Which one isn’t as big a hit as you thought? Are you hoping any series will get cancelled to make room for something else?

Nikki September 1, 2014 at 9:06 am

So starting to wonder if watching new shows are worth it, the good ones keep getting cancelled :-( just finished first season of tomorrow people only to find out there’s no more coming.

Ny August 26, 2014 at 12:07 am

Thank you for those that kept watching Beauty and the Beast, you saved a great show. I was worried at first, but they have been renewed, so thank you again sincerely. As far as Starcrossed goes i will truly miss it. I’m a die-hard CW fan. Been watching since the frog was dancing in between segments. I understand the viewers rating system. Shows come and go. But please stop leaving cliffhanger, it leaves us with a hope of a returning season, it’s not right…i.e. Emily Owns, The Secret Circle, TTP. ..etc.

Rob August 15, 2014 at 3:30 am

I don’t work so all I do is watch TV if the CW does not continue starcrossed I might not watch the CW anymore means I will miss my favorite TV shows like the vampire diaries, the 100 and Buity and the beast, and the originals which TV shows I love but I have to stick to my guns all the shows make my week way better and give me something to look forward to so please try and bring back starcrossed

Madison August 12, 2014 at 5:48 pm

I realllllllly hope Star Crossed comes back! I love the story line and am looking forward to seeing what how these characters continue to develop. You know, in the past, I could always count on the WB / CW to give us cutting edge shows that were ‘out of the box’. But the way they have been cancelling theses edgy shows just as fast as they premier them is just not fair to us viewers who fall in love with the characters. I for one, will not be watching ANY of the new shows they have lined up this fall if Star Crossed doesn’t return. It’s too disappointing when they cancel something I get attached to and invested in. My time is worth much more than one season. Sad , but if Star Crossed doesn’t get renewed on the CW … I’ll be taking my precious watching time to other networks! My friends and family feel the same and will follow my lead.

Manon. C August 11, 2014 at 11:12 am

Bring back starcrossed. Love the show and want to know whats going to happen next. Just cant leave us wandering what could of happen. Please bring back the show and please people comment,the show is really worth it.

Madison August 12, 2014 at 1:40 am

I realllllllly hope Star Crossed comes back … even if on another channel. I love the story line and want to see what happens to these characters. You know, in the past I could always count on the CW to give us cutting edge shows that were ‘out of the box’. But the way they have been cancelling theses edgy shows just as fast as they premier them is just not fair to us viewers who fall in love with the characters. I for one, will not be watching ANY of the new shows they have lined up this fall if Star Crossed doesn’t return. It’s too disappointing when they cancel something I get attached to and invested in. My time is worth much more than one season.

Paola Romo August 10, 2014 at 11:40 pm

Please bring back the Carrie Diaries. Its got so much potential. It was a great season 2 finale but we still need to know how the carrie diaries turned into sex and the city

Jamiah August 4, 2014 at 5:52 am

Starcrossed and Reign can’t be canceled yet It just started just find a way to get better charts.

Brandy August 11, 2014 at 3:53 pm

SC is cancelled but Reigns renewed,season 2 starts Oct 2

daryl whitlock July 25, 2014 at 7:41 pm

I’ll miss Nikita, despite its running out of storylines. Glad Maggie Q already has a new show.
If CW is struggling, here’s a thought: Pick up “Leverage” (cancelled by TNT, I think) and pick up “24″ if FOX doesn’t.

Anonymous July 31, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Brandy August 11, 2014 at 3:52 pm

CWs not gonna pick up Leverage or 24

nanny July 25, 2014 at 11:41 am

Looking at the ratings it really made no sense why the Tomorrow People was cancelled or Star Crossed when Heart of Dixie and Beauty and the Beast were renewed. The ones that were cancelled actually had me watching the other two never really got hooked on.

Brandy August 19, 2014 at 2:10 pm

BatB was low rated yes, but it was steady in ratings,doubled its live viewing in DVr,had social media presecenc and digital viewing that TTP & SC didn’t have plus,it sold really well internationally and is CBS owned and CBS wants more of thier own shows on cW plus BatB was closer to closer to syndication.HoD is steady in ratings and a season away from syndication -that’s why it was renewed despite being low rated.TTP started high in ratings but lost more than half of its audience over the season and didn’t have retention out of its Arrow for much of the season .SC started low in ratings and stayed low.

Dayane July 18, 2014 at 5:46 am

Tomorrow people was and can still be a great show , issue now a days is it’s hard for people to keep up on tv shows but now that the app is up and running for most people they can and will get a lot more viewers the last episode was intense and left everyone with so many questions I’m sure, because I am one of them I been waiting for the next season and I know you will get a good hit just give it another try you won’t be disappointed

Anonymous July 18, 2014 at 5:54 pm

I agree. We looked forward to watch each episode.

Lisa b July 10, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Bring back starcrossed by far the best show ever and with a worldwide fan base season 2 wud be no1 top rating !!!!