The River: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

The River on ABC cancelled or renewedThis evening, ABC aired the season finale of The River. What’s next? Will the TV show return for a second season or will it be cancelled instead?

For those who aren’t familiar with the ABC series, The River follows the search for beloved TV host and explorer (Bruce Greenwood) some six months after he and his team went missing down the Amazon. His wife, son, their crew and a documentary team go after them on what turns out to be a dangerous rescue mission. The cast includes Joe Anderson, Leslie Hope, Eloise Mumford, Paul Blackthorne, Thomas Kretschmann, Daniel Zacapa, Shaun Parkes, and Paulina Gaitan.

Sadly, it’s almost certain that The River will be cancelled. The thriller series debuted back in the February with a pair of episodes. The first hour attracted a 2.6 in the coveted 18-49 demographic with 8.35 million total viewers. By the second hour, 12% of the audience had bailed and the numbers dropped to a 2.3 rating with 6.83 million.

TV show supportThe ratings have been dropping ever since. Last week’s episode drew just a 1.3 rating in the demo with 4.09 million total viewers. Averaging a 1.67 demo and 4.82 million, The River is the lowest-rated drama on the network and has fallen even lower than sure-to-be-cancelled Pan Am. On our network report card, which compares ABC TV show demo ratings, The River gets a “D.”

With ratings like these, there’s just no chance that the alphabet network will order any more installments.

What do you think? Do you think The River should be cancelled? Are you satisfied with the way the story was left? How would you have ended it?

kevin March 27, 2015 at 12:35 pm

man I really hope they surprise me with the season 2 one of these days, this show kept me and anyone who watched it on the edge of their seat, one of the only others TV shows I can think of that makes me this on edge is the Walking Dead. if these words are ever read by somebody important, please bring “the river” back Thanks and aloha

ciubo March 11, 2015 at 10:15 am

i loveit, come on with new season please

Samuel Aaron March 10, 2015 at 8:08 pm

I don’t even get into series or attempt to, but this one I anticipated and loved it. Hands down my favorite show ever! Please come back out with another season.

Emily dames February 15, 2015 at 6:24 am

I love this this show so much. I was litteraly in my room all day watching season 1 and ready to watch season two. But when I didn’t see a season two I literally cried. And my sister who is 12 is in love with the show and said ” if there is no season two I just might never come out of my room or the house again.” So please make another season. I really want to know more. And see if the river keeps moving on them and see if they ever get home. Or find more of the crew!! I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!!!!!!! If season two came out my life would be complete.

bobby January 7, 2015 at 9:58 am

I love this show i hope they make a second season i have been waiting for two years now and i’m begging some one please continue the series

Camilla December 17, 2014 at 4:33 pm

I have been waiting for some news about season 2 for long now.
Please give me some god news

patrik November 6, 2014 at 3:16 pm

DON´T STOP

dyveria crawford October 31, 2014 at 1:59 am

I love this show i can watch it over and over please
Make a season 2͵3͵4͵5…….ect PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DONT STOP
THE SHOW PLEASE

Sharon Richert July 22, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Human nature predicates that NOT all movies will appeal to everyone. I , for one, really enjoyed this . Was able to view the first 8 episodes and am praying you continue this saga so we can travel with the family and crew to discover the fate of Emmett/rescue him. Have some resolution. This is one movie that pulls you in and makes you part of the set, involves your emotions…senses. DO NOT LEAVE US HANGING PLEASE.

debbie hegarty July 20, 2014 at 10:42 pm

Please don’t bail an not make serious 2 I loved it don’t understand why the ratings went down on this people are stupid an don’t no good tv when they see it please make another one.

lindsey July 13, 2014 at 4:20 am

I love it!!!! Pls make another season..
Is one of the better shows I’ve watched!!!

billie clouse July 3, 2014 at 2:09 pm

I am in love with it!! Its got adventures and mysteries!! Plz make a session two are make a move series out of it like Harry Potter series it don’t have to be a tv show!! I really hope u make a session 2 or more !