The Grand Tour TV show is off to a roaring start on Amazon. The series premiere has overtaken The Man in the High Castle as the biggest show debut in the streaming service’s history. Watch The Grand Tour official trailer, after the jump.
Andy Wilman produces the British motoring series starring former Top Gear presenters Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, and James May. The Grand Tour is available to stream at www.amazon.com/thegrandtour with new episodes releasing weekly for 12 weeks.
Learn more from this Amazon press release.
Amazon Original The Grand Tour Breaks Viewership Records on Prime Video
The Grand Tour takes the number one position from the highly acclaimed Amazon Original The Man in The High Castle
The Grand Tour is receiving unprecedented customer and critical acclaim – the show is the top rated TV show or movie on IMDb with an overall rating of 9.6 and over 10,000 votes, is rated 4.9 out of 5 stars by over 15,000 customers on Amazon, and has a score of 97% on Rotten Tomatoes
Episode two from Johannesburg available this Friday
SEATTLE–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Nov. 21, 2016– (NASDAQ:AMZN)–The debut episode of the highly anticipated new Amazon Original Series, The Grand Tour, has become the biggest show premiere ever on Amazon Prime Video, with millions of Prime members streaming the first episode in the U.S., U.K., Germany, Austriaand Japan over the opening weekend. Viewership has even exceeded that of the previous number one show, The Man in The High Castle. Additionally, the day The Grand Tour debuted, total new Prime membership sign-ups exceeded all previous days with the exception of Amazon’s renowned Prime Day.
The Grand Tour is also receiving unprecedented customer and critical acclaim with the show being the top rated TV show or movie on IMDb, the world’s most popular source of movie and TV data, with an overall rating of 9.6 and over 10,000 votes. The show is rated 4.9 out of 5 stars by more than 15,000 customers on Amazon, and currently has a score of 97% on Rotten Tomatoes.
“The guys are back, doing what they do best – the chemistry between Jeremy, Richard and James is what makes The Grand Tour so entertaining,” said Jeff Bezos, Chief Executive Officer of Amazon. “Their creativity, along with the amazing production quality and 4K HDR streaming, has Prime members responding in a big way. Kudos and congrats to the whole team.”
The first episode of The Grand Tour was released at 00.01 GMT on Friday 18th November, and customers immediately started tweeting their thoughts on the blockbuster opening episode:
- @annoyingracefan: I’m more excited about @thegrandtour than I am the birth of my child. I don’t have any kids but I am sure you know what I mean.
- @DannyAllenUK: That intro sequence for @thegrandtour has to be one of the most emotion/beautiful and expensive sequences I’ve ever seen on a TV show.
- @TransAmPatrick: I’m crying. Why am I crying? What’s going on here? I’m in a glass case of emotion! #TheGrandTour
- @BTMcLeod: Started the first episode of @thegrandtour and I can’t remember the last time I was this happy to see 3 middle aged dudes.
- @Tom__Berry: I’m only 3 minutes in and I can already tell that @thegrandtour is the best thing on TV this year.
Further episodes will be released weekly over the next 11 weeks for Prime members in the U.S., U.K., Germany, Austria and Japan, and the show will premiere worldwide for Amazon customers in over 200 countries and territories in December.
In addition to the unprecedented customer response, The Grand Tour has received outstanding critical acclaim from media around the world:
- “A brilliant beautiful spectacle.” Guardian
- “Between the gear head banter and intoxicating visuals, The Grand Tour makes for a sweet escape from the real world we all live in.” New York Post
- “The trio’s chemistry remains as brilliant as ever.” The Independent
- “Fans are over the moon.” Mail Online
- “The Grand Tour is stunningly beautiful.” The London Evening Standard
- “The Grand Tour is this year’s most eagerly-anticipated TV show. And, judging by the reaction to its Thursday debut, it’s fair to say that The Grand Tour is a critical and commercial success. Together, both viewers and reviewers flooded social media after the first episode aired on Amazon Prime, and they were unified in their praise.” Daily Mirror
- “They’ve sort of somehow come up with the world’s first scripted comedy factual show, and it works perfectly.” Digital Spy
- “Critics and fans welcome Jeremy Clarkson and co back with open arms.” Newsweek
Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May have been filming the first season of The Grand Tour in far-flung locations across the globe. The studio portion of the show takes place in a travelling tent in locations ranging from Johannesburg to California, Scotland to Rotterdam, Lapland to Nashville, Whitby in North Yorkshire to Stuttgart and the final stop in Dubai. The first episode kicked off in California, when Jeremy, Richard and James took their famous studio tent to Dry Rabbit Lake. Thousands of fans from across the U.S. travelled to the desert near Lucerne Valley, outside of Los Angeles for The Grand Tour’s very own “Burning Van” festival which was part of the opener of the first ever episode. The Grand Tour is available to stream at www.amazon.com/thegrandtour with new episodes releasing weekly for 12 weeks. The official series trailer can be viewed here and to be the first to be notified of upcoming episodes and other news about The Grand Tour, fans can follow The Grand Tour on Facebook, Twitter and at Amazon.
The Grand Tour joins Amazon Prime Video’s line-up of award-winning and critically acclaimed TV shows and movies. Prime Video is the only place to stream Amazon Original and Exclusive Series including The Man in the High Castle, Transparent, Mozart in the Jungle, Red Oaks, Bosch and Goliath starring Billy Bob Thornton. Prime members can stream or download from Prime Video to watch at home or on the move, ensuring they never miss their favorite shows.
Amazon Original Series are available for Prime members to stream and enjoy using the Amazon Video app for TVs, connected devices including Amazon Fire TV, and mobile devices, or online at Amazon.com/originals, at no additional cost to their membership—Prime members can also download select titles to mobile devices for offline viewing. Customers who are not already Prime members can sign up for a free trial at www.amazon.com/prime.
About Amazon Video
Amazon Video is a premium on-demand entertainment service that offers customers the greatest choice in what to watch, and how to watch it. Amazon Video is the only service that provides all of the following:
- Prime Video: Thousands of movies and TV shows, including popular licensed content plus critically-acclaimed and award-winning Amazon Original Series and Movies from Amazon Studios like Transparent, The Man in the High Castle, Love & Friendship and kids series Tumble Leaf, available for unlimited streaming as part of an Amazon Prime membership
- Amazon Channels: Over 80 video subscriptions to networks like SHOWTIME, STARZ and more, available to Amazon Prime members as add-ons to their membership
- Rent or Own: Hundreds of thousands of titles, including new-release movies and current TV shows available for on-demand rental or purchase for all Amazon customers
- Instant Access: Instantly watch anytime, anywhere through the Amazon Video app on TVs, mobile devices, Amazon Fire TV, Fire TV Stick, and Fire tablets, or online. For a list of all compatible devices visit www.amazon.com/howtostream
- Premium Features: Top features like 4K Ultra HD, High Dynamic Range (HDR) and mobile downloads for offline viewing
In addition to Prime Video, the Prime membership includes unlimited fast free shipping options across all categories available on Amazon, more than two million songs and thousands of playlists and stations with Prime Music, secure photo storage with Prime Photos, unlimited reading with Prime Reading, unlimited access to a digital audiobook catalogue with Audible Channels for Prime, early access to select Lightning Deals, and more. To sign-up for Prime or to find out more, visit: www.amazon.com/prime.
Amazon is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime, Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, and Alexa are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon. For more information, visit www.amazon.com/about.
What do you think? Have you watched the first episode of The Grand Tour TV series? If not, do you plan to check it out? Let us know, below.