Lie to Me: FOX TV Show Cancelled, No Season Four

Lie to Me canceledSometimes the truth hurts — especially when it comes to television ratings. After three seasons, FOX has cancelled Lie to Me.

Starring Tim Roth, Lie to Me revolves around Cal Lightman and members of The Lightman Group. They’re a team of specialists who help law enforcement agencies uncover the truth by using applied psychology. Others in the cast include Kelli Williams, Brendan Hines, Monica Raymund, Hayley McFarland, and Mekhi Phifer.

Last season, Lie to Me averaged a 2.9 rating in the all-important 18-49 demographic and 8.03 million total viewers. That was down from season one and the series found itself on the bubble for renewal. FOX ended up giving the TV series another chance and renewed it for 13 episodes.

Unfortunately, season three didn’t perform nearly as well as season two. It premiered last October to a 2.1 rating in the demo and 5.86 million. Viewership eroded in subsequent weeks and FOX declined to give the show a full season order. Lie to Me then hit a new series low in January, registering a meager 1.5 rating and 5.43 million viewers.

Should Lie to Me have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

In its final weeks on the air, viewers seemed to rally behind it and Lie to Me had its best ratings of the season — a 2.5 in the demo and 7.67 million.

Though the ratings had come way down, FOX execs claimed that they still valued the TV series and saw it as a solid utility player. Showrunner Alex Cary said, “Fox has been very clear with us — they know what the show is, they know what it can do. [The ratings bump] shows that people will come watch the show.”

TV show supportNow, after three seasons on the air, the series is over. FOX has officially cancelled Lie to Me after 48 episodes. All of the installments have aired. Though there are too few episodes for a traditional syndication package, the first two seasons have already been released on DVD.

What do you think? Should Lie to Me have been renewed for season four?

Anonymous April 26, 2015 at 1:26 am

Loved this show whyyyyy

Ana Wiskemann April 24, 2015 at 10:23 am

I would love to see the show again.
Pelease bring the show again!!!

Brenda April 23, 2015 at 7:22 pm

I love the show but if you can’t do a season 4 the least you could do is tie up all the loose “love matches”. How Rude!!!!

Daisy Hayden April 23, 2015 at 12:16 am

Love the show, Dr. Lightman is funny and keep the show interesting as all his crew.

JohnMilton April 21, 2015 at 8:09 pm

After the first couple episodes in Season 3 I expected it was its last. They just let Lightman get too mean to people. As he got meaner and more abusive to people it was harder and harder to watch, after all, we’re supposed to be relating to him. Too bad, it was a good series and good storylines, good characters. But, that one big flaw did them in.

Onegranola April 21, 2015 at 12:45 am

This was an awesome show. I couldn’t believe it got cancelled. Bring this one back !!!!!

Anonymous April 20, 2015 at 1:59 pm

I was watching Lie to me with my parents and got obsessed with it! Tim Roth is my new favourite actor <3 So please stop cancelling it! I want more!

Donald Wilcox April 20, 2015 at 1:29 pm

My wife and I loved lie to me! Even though the previous seasons are on Amazon now, it’s a shame that we may never see a new episode again! If there was a problem with viewership maybe they should have looked at the writers instead of the entire show and cast! I would like them to try again with new writers and the same cast! I believe that it was unique, it was well done, and I for one would definitely watch it again as I do the reruns on Amazon! Shows of this caliber are difficult to find on TV these days and I believe that they made a mistake in canceling it!

A April 18, 2015 at 11:44 pm

It should have never been cancelled!!! I loved that show, and I was devastated when it ended… smh

Susan April 17, 2015 at 5:07 pm

IT should never have been cancelled! Bring it back!
Susan

Justin Adams April 16, 2015 at 6:10 pm

Lie to me is a wonderful show, it has very practical application as well as a good plotline episode to episode.

Duane Naude April 14, 2015 at 5:19 am

I LOVE Lie to me. Please make more Seasons!!!! One of my fave series.