Lie to Me: FOX TV Show Cancelled, No Season Four

Lie to Me canceledSometimes the truth hurts — especially when it comes to television ratings. After three seasons, FOX has cancelled Lie to Me.

Starring Tim Roth, Lie to Me revolves around Cal Lightman and members of The Lightman Group. They’re a team of specialists who help law enforcement agencies uncover the truth by using applied psychology. Others in the cast include Kelli Williams, Brendan Hines, Monica Raymund, Hayley McFarland, and Mekhi Phifer.

Last season, Lie to Me averaged a 2.9 rating in the all-important 18-49 demographic and 8.03 million total viewers. That was down from season one and the series found itself on the bubble for renewal. FOX ended up giving the TV series another chance and renewed it for 13 episodes.

Unfortunately, season three didn’t perform nearly as well as season two. It premiered last October to a 2.1 rating in the demo and 5.86 million. Viewership eroded in subsequent weeks and FOX declined to give the show a full season order. Lie to Me then hit a new series low in January, registering a meager 1.5 rating and 5.43 million viewers.

Should Lie to Me have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

In its final weeks on the air, viewers seemed to rally behind it and Lie to Me had its best ratings of the season — a 2.5 in the demo and 7.67 million.

Though the ratings had come way down, FOX execs claimed that they still valued the TV series and saw it as a solid utility player. Showrunner Alex Cary said, “Fox has been very clear with us — they know what the show is, they know what it can do. [The ratings bump] shows that people will come watch the show.”

TV show supportNow, after three seasons on the air, the series is over. FOX has officially cancelled Lie to Me after 48 episodes. All of the installments have aired. Though there are too few episodes for a traditional syndication package, the first two seasons have already been released on DVD.

What do you think? Should Lie to Me have been renewed for season four?

Toni September 29, 2014 at 9:36 pm

I’m upset that we don’t see how the story comes together and wraps up. They should have at least finished the story line. Very disappointed that it was’t done properly and we are left hanging. It is a good show and one that as you enjoyed watching it my family enjoyed discussing the different techniques they were using to know what someone was saying.
Too bad that all of that wasn’t taken into consideration.

Ella James September 29, 2014 at 11:57 am

Just finished season Three on Netflix..and loved it……I am gutted there is no Season Four..Finishing without a proper end sucks!!!! Grrrrrr Fox!

N September 29, 2014 at 4:03 am

Loved this show based on Ekman’s science.
I did find Tim Roth started acting a bit weird by season 3.. the eccentric hand swaying and body language put me off a little, but I think if he was acting a bit more like the pro we met in season 1, gritty and a bit more scientific, it may have faired better with the viewers. The relationship with Gillian should have developed into something more romantic, her being his centre, and perhaps a contract or two with the NSA and CIA, would have given it more a homeland gritty persona.

This series had Such incredible potential to expand… I will miss it greatly, eccentric acting or not. Pity it was cancelled.

A.J. September 28, 2014 at 7:39 am

I am GUTTED this show has ended. I found it addictive, compulsive viewing and would catch myself in real life closely watching others and picking up clues as to whether they were telling the truth. Fascinating and educational as well as having great story lines and relatable characters. Plus I LOVE Tim Roth. He is amazing in it. Please bring back…

Lara September 27, 2014 at 8:08 am

I thought I was just missing a season but it turns out that lie to me had already ended. I love the show so much that I never wanted it to end. I really hope they could create new seasons. :(

Anette September 27, 2014 at 3:53 am

Just finished season 3 on Netflix. I just love the series. How could Fix leave us with this cliffhanger? Please bring the serie back! Tim Roth alone as Cal Lightman is worth watching, his one of my favorit actors! He’s great!

angel01134 September 24, 2014 at 11:01 pm

The t.v. series is amazing. I like it for all of its little things. The main male lead is like a vortex of sorts, he just sucks you in. I think the only reason it wasn’t the best at ratings is because it wasn’t publicized enough. That and the fact that most show that have accents like misfits, Dr. who, Torchwood, and a few others were painting a false image. Those other shows were okay but the majority of people wouldn’t necessarily like them, i do personally. However, Lie to me is in a category of its own people have to actually see it to like it. I thought it was better than breaking bad, rizzolli and isles, dexter, and many others. That is until i found out it was cacelled.

Barbara Goll September 24, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Love the series. Just starting to watch it on Netflix. Needed a different lead man to generate ratings. Tim Roth is not attractive, and very hard to understand with that thick Cockney accent. Not easy on either the eyes or ears, at least not for an American audience.

johana September 22, 2014 at 11:13 pm

Are you serious no season 4? How rude for them to leave the fans of Lie to me in the air with no closure! ! It is a great serious! Please bring it back!

Anonymous September 26, 2014 at 12:19 am

I agree with you!!! Please bring is back Fox

Heather September 18, 2014 at 12:15 am

I just finished all three seasons on Netflix. And now I’m reading that it’s canceled! I’m angry because they left me with a huge cliffhanger and I want it to continue!! Bring the show back!!

killa September 16, 2014 at 12:59 am
patti September 15, 2014 at 10:23 pm

Great show, wish it would come back and ot should have gone a bit more in depth with the characters beyond Cal and Emily and the few trist Lightman, foster and torres had on the side and Loker was too cute to be cast as such a loser., All in all people liked the show probably loved it but writers and producers failed to grow the characters in a proper manner to keep viewrs interested.

Vijay September 15, 2014 at 12:52 am

Lie to me was a great show. Bring it back, please!

nastya September 14, 2014 at 12:40 am

Fox replied to my letter about the follow-Lie to me.

David P (FOX)
Sep 12 07:51
Thank you for contacting us. I’m sorry Lie to Me was cancelled. It’s always so hard when one of your favorite shows goes away! I’m forwarding your email to the FOX team. I can’t promise you that Lie to Me will return, but I can promise that your email has been read. Your opinion matters to us, and can help make decisions on making shows available ON DEMAND or on DVD and Blu-ray.

Thanks again for your email!

Throw their letters let Fox know that we want Lie to me! askfox@fox.com

Jim H September 11, 2014 at 4:19 pm

UNREAL!!! This was one of the best shows on television. The show was very smart, engaging and I feel that was the reason for it’s demise. There are too many people out that want to watch American Idol, dancing with the stars, and other mindless entertainment. I enjoy watching a show that keeps me on the edge of my chair, and allows me use my brain. The networks should be ashamed of themselves. I am so sick of the reality shows. Are you going to tell me Honey boo boo is still on?? The final of the Glades was a train wreck!! whoever wrote that needs a boot in their ass. We (your audience) watch these shows and get to where we look forward to it coming on and have been following the character development for seasons and you end a series with a cliffhanger?? You truly suck. oh well, I cant wait for Game of thrones to come back on and you can take your mindless shows and shove them up your A$$. There is no originality in television anymore like there used to be. kinda like todays music, all studio, no talent and everyone sounds the same. How many shows about cops and variants can you come up with. Cops, Firefighters, cooking shows, hell kitchen. I won’t even watch Longmire, because I know it has a sucky ending as well. Who makes the decision to keep or can a show?

HB September 12, 2014 at 3:05 am

Well said Jim – totally agree with you 200%. The failure of this show’s ratings lies solely with Fox. Yet we are dished up total drivel season after new season to eternity. But when something outstanding comes along and a brilliant one at that, such as Lie to Me – the idiot decision makers axe it mid-way through its 3rd season. I am so anti-Fox now that I won’t watch a single show of theirs …. unless the readdress this wrong and bring Lie to Me back.