Awake: Cancelled; No Season Two

Awaked canceled by NBC, no season 2It’s the nightmare NBC’s Awake fans were dreading. NBC has cancelled the show after 13 episodes and one season.

Created by Kyle Killen (Lone Star), Awake revolves around a police detective (Jason Isaacs) who, after being in a horrific car accident, finds that he’s living in two realities. In one, his son perished — in the other, his wife did. The cast also includes Laura Allen, Steve Harris, Dylan Minnette, B. D. Wong, Michaela McManus, Wilmer Valderrama, and Cherry Jones.

The complex drama had an unimpressive debut back on March 1st, registering a 2.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.24 million viewers. NBC had released the pilot episode well in advance so some believed that hurt the premiere ratings.

Should Awake have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Theoretically the second episode should have shown signs of growth but it didn’t. Week two dropped 20%. Week three remained stable but subsequent weeks saw additional declines. Last week’s episode hit a new low with a dismal 0.7 rating and just 2.15 million viewers.

This season has averaged a 1.1 rating in the demographic with 3.5 million total viewers. Awake is the third-lowest rated drama on the network, beating only Harry’s Law and The Firm (both of which have been cancelled as well). On our NBC Ratings Report Card, which measures the relative demo performance of shows on the network, Awake has a “D+” grade.

TV show supportNBC has now cancelled Awake and the series finale is on track to air Thursday, May 24th. While it wasn’t intended as a series finale, Killen has said that he believes the finale is very satisfying.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that Awake has been cancelled and won’t be back for a second season? Was the series too complicated for most TV viewers or did it have other problems?

Adam May 23, 2014 at 2:27 am

I agree I was a little late to this one, and I remember hearing about it before, which is why when I saw it on Netflix I decided to watch it. I personally really like shows that make me think. House, Awake, you things of the like, and I was really sad to hear that this one had ended, i thad a lot of potential, and if they wanted better ratings it should have been advertised more. I don’t think I saw a single commercial or anything while it was airing. As for the “satifsying ending”, it was all happy-hunky-dory…. which I hate honestly. Yeah it gives the warm and fuzzy feeling, but when there’s this much potential in a show it’s just horrible. Kinda wish they would bring it back and elaborate on things…. but not sure how they’d do that with this ending.

Matt Hilsenbeck August 26, 2013 at 12:21 am

I didn’t know about it till it was on netflix, and by then it was canceled. I wish I could still watch it. Loved it.

Will Thompson August 25, 2013 at 5:15 pm

I hate to see it taken off. I loved the idea of awake. Someone finally got an original idea and BOOM, they take it off. I hate prime time tv now!!! If you have to use your brain to watch a show then people get bored!!! Come on America!!!! Use your brain!!! Back to reading books!!!!!!!!

Maggie Thompson July 11, 2013 at 4:11 am

Oh my word!! I thought I would do some research on a few shows that I watched last year and this is yet another one that has been thrown in the garbage!! What is wrong with these people? Please bring it back this was another fantastic show that I loved!! Cant believe this one has been cancelled too………………..Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike May 18, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Satisfying?? NO… That finale was like the Sopranos… It doesn’t answer what was going on…

Cassaura May 11, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Nooooo… I have been watching season 1. cannot put it down.. almost finished and wanted to know what station I could find the second season… Awesome series. LOVED IT. Maybe SYFY will pick up a second season. SOMEBODEEEEEEE.

Joe T April 18, 2013 at 3:35 am

It’s really too bad this is over with… I just spent the last two days watching the first season and I could hardly stop in between. This show is intense and the acting was spectacular. Really unfortunate….

Renna March 26, 2013 at 11:17 pm

Man, I just finished watching a marathon of Awake with my family, literally from about 11:30 at night, until now, 5:15 in the morning….WE WERE HOOKED~!! My brother and I are so pissed off that they cancelled the show…NBC are a bunch of crack pots who don’t know a good show when they see one. Another company should buy out the show, or Killen should move over to Europe and write for us.

Anonymous April 17, 2013 at 10:40 pm

A great show. Enjoyed every minute of it.

Abbie January 31, 2013 at 10:53 am

I really enjoyed this show and looked forward to each new episode. What a shame that NBC cancelled it. I see that there is a season finale which is great because I really want to know what is going here. And Kyle Killen is certainly easy on the eyes! I wish NBC would have given this series more time to develop a bigger viewing audience.

Meredith January 7, 2013 at 5:23 pm

I really enjoyed this show. It was however at a bad hour so I always had to record it but there was not much advertising for it either. I happened to come by it on the internet for the sneek peek and was very excited for it to start on tv. I do hope they bring it back and this time do more advertising for it. All they ever have on tv is reality shows and I hate reality shows because they are not really reality anyway. You can always get some idiot to play that part….. Thanks

Anonymous December 3, 2012 at 7:53 pm

This was a great show lousy time slot & hardly any advertising. I tuned in by accident. Please renew this series! 8 or 9 pm instead of so late! It’s a winner just didn’t slot correctly. He’s also very sexy actor

Man November 6, 2012 at 8:01 pm

This is BS everytime a good show comes out, it gets cancelled. They will probably substitute another stupid reality show. Time to get net flicks or hit the red box to pass the evenings….thanks NBC