Parenthood: Renewed for Sixth and Final Season

Parenthood renewed, endingThings were a little touch and go for awhile but NBC has now renewed Parenthood for a sixth season. It will be the last season and the cast and crew will have 13 episodes to say goodbye.

Parenthood revolves around the lives of the extended Braverman family in Northern California. The ensemble cast includes Lauren Graham, Dax Shepard, Tyree Brown, Joy Bryant, Max Burkholder, Erika Christensen, Miles Heizer, Sam Jaeger, Monica Potter, Savannah Paige Rae, Xolo Mariduena, Mae Whitman, with Bonnie Bedelia and Craig T. Nelson.

The series has never been a ratings hit for NBC but it has remained a pretty consistent performer with a devoted fanbase. This season, the ratings took a pretty dramatic downturn, dropping 20-30% compared to the fourth season. Shows like Revolution, Growing Up Fisher, and Believe all had better ratings but they were cancelled.

The network wanted to cut costs so they could bring the large ensemble series back for a final season but members of the cast reportedly didn’t want to agree to a smaller-than-usual episode guarantee. A compromise was eventually made.

We should have a better idea this week when season six will begin airing.

What do you think? Are you glad that Parenthood has been renewed for a final season? Would you like to see a seventh season or do you think this is the right time to end it?

Deborah December 17, 2014 at 4:55 pm

I am so disheartened with NBC’s decision to cancel Parenthood. In my opinion, this is by far the very best family based series in decades. It is truly uplifting, moving, inspiring, thought provoking and humorous all wrapped up in each & every episode. The characters are fantastic and each one contributes to the overall lifetime drama that unfolds every Thursday.

I for one am soooooooo unhappy with NBC’s decision to cancel one of their only worthwhile family drama series.

CAnnOK December 11, 2014 at 3:20 pm

It’s very hard to find a show that makes you laugh hysterically one minute, cry the next and relate it all back to your own life. I love this show, sad to see it go.

tiff December 11, 2014 at 5:50 am

I LOVE this show. PLEASE don’t end it!!!!

Sara December 8, 2014 at 6:18 pm

I really hope they don’t cancel this show. It’s such a heartwarming show :(

Sunny Diamond December 7, 2014 at 11:52 am

Please keep this series on the air for as many future seasons as possible. My husband is very picky about what family series he will watch..hardly any. We found the Parenthood series on Netflix. We watched a few episodes to try it out and became immediate fans. We have found ourselves sad and happy (actively laughing) in every episode these last few seasons and are saddened by the idea of Parenthood ending. We are currently nearing the end of the 5th season of the series and would love to watch many more seasons. Thanks so much for continuing this amazing series to a sixth season. Can’t wait to see it!

rosemary quackenbush December 6, 2014 at 3:43 pm

please don’t stop the series….this is my favorite show and my Thursdays with them is like being with my actual family..from long ago !!!! I love all the characters on the show!
I wondered if I would ever get a chance to ask for the show to continue…so glad for the opportunity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeannie December 4, 2014 at 3:48 pm

Parenthood is by far one of the best TV series in a long time! It presents real life situations and does so in a realistic and entertaining manner. My family and I truly hope it will be renewed – so many stories to tell!

stacey December 3, 2014 at 8:29 pm

I am Heartbroken. Parenthood is the type of show that softens the heart. It is Hopeful and Honest. It shows the importance of family and the impact we have on one another. I’m confused on how a show that promotes fighting, one night stands, and alcohol abuse can overshadow a show like Parenthood. It seems to me that we need a lot less of reality tv and a whole lot more of Parenthood. I recently lost my father last November after he had a massive heart attack resulting in open heart surgery. Nine days after the surgery, he passed. I was Five and a half Months pregnant with his first Granddaughter. So this show hits close to home with me. And if that wasn’t enough, Craig T. Nelson resembles my father. Especially his smile. In a way, when i watch Parenthood I feel close to my dad again.

Will December 3, 2014 at 5:38 pm

I usually don’t watch many tv shows but something made me start watching Parenthood and I love it it’s by far the best show I have watched. It’s real life situations that many family’s go through, not the bull crap reality tv stuff. Do not cancel this show please.

LaVerne Saunders December 2, 2014 at 9:34 am

I really don’t understand why Parenthood won’t be on the air after this season because in my opinion it’s one of the BEST shows on TV. There are a lot of shows that should be cut but Parenthood isn’t one of them. There is still so many story lines that I see myself with the opening of the new school, new people who go to the school, raising the teens, the baby coming and so much more. Please see what you can do to keep it going. Thanks, for listening. LaVerne Saunders

Janice November 30, 2014 at 5:21 pm

I am shocked beyond shock that Parenthood is being cancelled. It is one of the only shows I have ever watched (I’m 65) that is so realistic. It deals with real life problems and situations that everyone has gone through. The 60 minute show goes faster than 30 minute shows. I am always sitting on the edge of my chair and always making me want more. I hate that I have to wait another week to see what happens next. I think I read it won’t be back on until 1/29/15! OMG that’s insane. Please reconsider! Please bring it back! What can I do to make that happen????

art December 1, 2014 at 9:23 am

I have already voiced my opinion but I’ll do it again. Parenthood is by far the best show that I have ever watched on TV. It is so well written, acted, vidoed, etc. with real life situations for families. I would like to go to New York City and stand outside the NBC Today show with banners saying “Don’t cancel. Parents for Parenthood.” Art PS Since I have a very bad memory I am starting all over with Season 1!!!!

Tonia Hardy November 27, 2014 at 4:07 am

I do not want this show to end. I love this show and love all the characters. This show makes my Thursday nights enjoyable -it’s my feel good show!!! The cast is awesome and look forward to seeing how life changes for the Bravermans!!

Telisa November 25, 2014 at 8:13 pm

I just watched the final episode of Season 6. PLEASE tell me it isn’t going to just end this way. Are you kidding me?! I love this show.

Pat November 24, 2014 at 11:27 pm

Parenthood is a real treasure. It is one of the few “institutions” left that demonstrates constructive enduring family life. It has introduced and explored so many difficult topics, and through that exploration has given watchers a way to understand – things like teen pregnancy, autism, May-December relationships, mixed-race marriage, relationships that almost fail, and the reasons and strength to hold them together! I love this show, and I am so sad that this forum will be removed from the airwaves. Please NBC, reconsider, and let there be a Season seven.

Marci November 30, 2014 at 5:05 pm

Please keep it on..we love them…