Parenthood: Renewed for Sixth and Final Season

Parenthood renewed, endingThings were a little touch and go for awhile but NBC has now renewed Parenthood for a sixth season. It will be the last season and the cast and crew will have 13 episodes to say goodbye.

Parenthood revolves around the lives of the extended Braverman family in Northern California. The ensemble cast includes Lauren Graham, Dax Shepard, Tyree Brown, Joy Bryant, Max Burkholder, Erika Christensen, Miles Heizer, Sam Jaeger, Monica Potter, Savannah Paige Rae, Xolo Mariduena, Mae Whitman, with Bonnie Bedelia and Craig T. Nelson.

The series has never been a ratings hit for NBC but it has remained a pretty consistent performer with a devoted fanbase. This season, the ratings took a pretty dramatic downturn, dropping 20-30% compared to the fourth season. Shows like Revolution, Growing Up Fisher, and Believe all had better ratings but they were cancelled.

The network wanted to cut costs so they could bring the large ensemble series back for a final season but members of the cast reportedly didn’t want to agree to a smaller-than-usual episode guarantee. A compromise was eventually made.

We should have a better idea this week when season six will begin airing.

What do you think? Are you glad that Parenthood has been renewed for a final season? Would you like to see a seventh season or do you think this is the right time to end it?

GayePeacock September 21, 2014 at 11:28 pm

Parenthood is my favorite show. I cannot believe it will be the last season. I really hate to hear this news.

Anonymous September 21, 2014 at 8:57 pm

NBC….dont cancel the show. This is the best show that has ever aired!

Lee September 21, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Parenthood’s 5th season sealed their doom when “Joel” character way way overreacted to that kiss. His childish bratty behavior took the whole ship down. The writers must’ve felt his character needed some attention, but their idea really sucked. The “welcome home” party for camille underscored the shows extremely unrealistic family behavior. That’s why people didn’t like it. Kiss sitting….the Bravermans dont exist..nice to dream, that’s what this show is about…but no teenager sits around telling their entire family about their sex life while every one group hugs. It’s not a unbelievable show. It’s gag inducing..

jill September 20, 2014 at 3:41 pm

I love parenthood , I have been watching it since the beginning. It is so true to life with every family situation that arises. I can relate to Christina and Adams son Max, our son is autistic and every episode about Max and what the whole family goes through is the reality. The Bravermans all support Adam and Christina and are there for each other in the good times and difficult times. I am saddened to know parenthood was not renewed I think nbc is making a big mistake, the show is getting better each season. No other show out there has the hold on so many people as parenthood does because it is so real and people can relate it with their own lives and families. Please nbc reconsider this decision, I know personally more people who watch parenthood than don’t.

cj September 20, 2014 at 1:30 am

I can’t believe it’s the last season. One of my favorite shows.

Gail Judy September 19, 2014 at 5:28 pm

Parenthood has been one of my favorite shows since it’s inception. Hate that this will be the last season! Am a true fan….

Terry September 19, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Love love this show. Hast to stay. Wonderful family show instead of rediculous reality or other stupid shows that have been coming on tv

Julia September 19, 2014 at 1:54 pm

I stopped watching Parenthood when adultery was excused as being ok.

Linda September 18, 2014 at 11:45 pm

I look forward to watching every new season. So disappointed that they will be cancelled. The show has touched on many important issues in life and daily coping of everyday things that occur within a family. It also has great actors and is humorous and entertaining. We need more shows like this to continue, not REALITY SHOWS that are obnoxious and pointless.