Parenthood: Renewed for Sixth and Final Season

Parenthood renewed, endingThings were a little touch and go for awhile but NBC has now renewed Parenthood for a sixth season. It will be the last season and the cast and crew will have 13 episodes to say goodbye.

Parenthood revolves around the lives of the extended Braverman family in Northern California. The ensemble cast includes Lauren Graham, Dax Shepard, Tyree Brown, Joy Bryant, Max Burkholder, Erika Christensen, Miles Heizer, Sam Jaeger, Monica Potter, Savannah Paige Rae, Xolo Mariduena, Mae Whitman, with Bonnie Bedelia and Craig T. Nelson.

The series has never been a ratings hit for NBC but it has remained a pretty consistent performer with a devoted fanbase. This season, the ratings took a pretty dramatic downturn, dropping 20-30% compared to the fourth season. Shows like Revolution, Growing Up Fisher, and Believe all had better ratings but they were cancelled.

The network wanted to cut costs so they could bring the large ensemble series back for a final season but members of the cast reportedly didn’t want to agree to a smaller-than-usual episode guarantee. A compromise was eventually made.

We should have a better idea this week when season six will begin airing.

What do you think? Are you glad that Parenthood has been renewed for a final season? Would you like to see a seventh season or do you think this is the right time to end it?

Anonymous August 29, 2014 at 7:57 am

I can’t believe nbc is dropping the best show on television! I look forward to watch this show. Parenthood is my favorite show on television and nbc is making a huge mistake. Is it too late to change their mind??!!

cris palacios August 29, 2014 at 12:19 am

Damn NBC you suck for canceling this show. I’m a guy and i love this show! Hopefully somebody can pick this show up from you and continue!

josie August 28, 2014 at 8:30 pm

such a mistake nbc! such a GREAT show. why would you cancel parenthood? try giving it a better time slot before you do this.

CS August 28, 2014 at 1:49 pm

I’m so disappointed that such a well written and acted show has be axed. It appears
that the folks out there, except a small group who are interested in quality, would rather watch these tacky reality shows and ultra violent sexual garbage. Too bad…so sad…another decline in society.

Lori August 28, 2014 at 8:37 am

I can’t believe you are dropping this show! I am so disappointed in NBC! A great show about families and the everyday struggles. I never miss this show! I am so tired of all this other crap on tv. You will lose me as a NBC Thursday night viewer. I guess you guys at NBC think there is not enough murders, sex, crime in this show. Such a pity…..

Anonymous August 28, 2014 at 3:09 am

So sad and disappointed that it’s ending. Such a great family show!

Christina Taylor August 27, 2014 at 1:11 pm

I am really sad that this series has been cancelled. I have a very large family in which we have lots of laughs, intertwined family drama and loving supportive dynamic to tie it all together. I can really relate to a lot of the different situations the whole family gets themselves into. My sisters and I love this show and are truly disappointed the sixth season will be the final one. The fact that the sixth & final season will be only 13 episodes, and cutting all the Braverman family fun in the last season short is the biggest disappointment. If it’s the final season it should be a complete amazing season to really give the Braverman family the send off they deserve.

Susie August 26, 2014 at 11:36 pm

This is such a wonderful show. So true to family life the way it is meant to be, despite the trials and tribulations in life. I am very sad that this season is the last. More shows like this are needed to bring the value of parenthood and the family unit value back.

SS August 26, 2014 at 6:25 pm

So sad! I just found out this next season is the final season. It’s my favorite tv show to watch. So much better than Breaking Bad (Drugs!) and that Orange Black show (Prison). It’s so terrible that people would rather watch drama and craziness. I miss the days of the Cosby Show and Full House.