The alphabet network provides their take on last night’s ratings for The Middle, The Neighbors, Modern Family, Suburgatory, and Nashville.
ABC Turns in Strong Results Against the World Series on Wednesday
Early info on ABC’s Wednesday, ahead of the regular press release.
Up against Game 1 of the 2012 World Series, ABC finished as the #1 non-sports network on Wednesday in Adults 18-49 (tie) and Adults 18-34, while winning the night outright in key Women (W18-34/W18-49). For its 4th straight broadcast this season, ABC’s Modern Family registered as Wednesday’s #1 TV show in Total Viewers and Adults 18-49, outdelivering Fox’s World Series telecast.
At 8pm, ABC’s The Middle ran in a near-tie with CBS’ Survivor for #1 in Adults 18-49 (pacing within 1-tenth of a rating and tied in audience share). In addition the ABC comedy once again beat out Survivor in Adults 18-34, Men 18-34 and Women 18-34, while ranking #1 straight out over the Fall Classic with Women 18-49.
· Despite the World Series competition, The Middle built its overall audience (+2%) for the 3rd straight week and held 100% of its Adult 18-49 number, hitting best-since-premiere numbers. In addition the ABC family comedy shot up to season highs in Teens 12-17 and Kids 2-11, posting the series’ top numbers the beginning of January – since 1/4/12.
At 8:30pm, ABC’s The Neighbors increased its dominance over its freshman comedy competition, beating NBC’s Guys with Kids by a best-yet 3.1 million viewers and by 54% in Adults 18-49.
· Like its lead-in, The Neighbors grew its overall audience for the 3rd straight week (+6%) to a new time-period high, while also gaining 5% in Adults 18-49 to equal its top rating in the slot. The ABC family comedy hit a series high for the 2nd straight week with Kids 2-11 and marked a new time-period high with Teens 12-17.
Shooting to the top of its 9pm slot in viewers and young adults, ABC’s Modern Family outdelivered its nearest series competition (CBS’ Criminal Minds) by 1.1 million viewers and by 63% in Adults 18-49.
· Modern Family increased it overall audience for the 2nd week running (+2%) and moved up 4% in Adults 18-49, earning its highest numbers since its season premiere on both counts.
Retaining nearly all of its week ago season opener in the 9:30pm half-hour in viewers (99%) and young adults (96%), ABC’s Suburgatory stood as the #2 non-sports show in Total Viewers and Adults 18-49, while winning its slot with Women 18-34 and finishing as the top broadcast program with Teens 12-17.
During the 10 o’clock hour, ABC’s Nashville continued to stand as the #1 new drama over NBC’s Chicago Fire in Total Viewers and Adults 18-49. In addition, ABC’s Nashville beat out CBS’ veteran CSI for the 3rd consecutive week to rank as the #1 broadcast series with Adults 18-34 and Women 18-34.
· Nashville held 100% retention week to week across all key Adult demos (AD18-34/AD18-49/AD25-54), while surging 10% week to week in Men 18-34 against the World Series.
· ABC’s Nashville continues to be a huge gainer in DVR playback. Based on Live + 3 Day data for last Wednesday’s second telecast (10/17/12), Nashville jumped over its Live + Same Day number by +2.6 million viewers (+38%) to draw 9.3 million on average and shot up 50% in Adults 18-49 (+1.0 rating) to deliver a 3.0 rating. In fact, Nashville’s DVR increase was greater than NBC’s Revolution on Monday at 10pm (10/15/12) in both Total Viewers (+37%) and Adults 18-49 (+42%).