Friday Night Lights has been renewed through season five but it looks like that will be the end. NBC and DirecTV haven’t made an announcement that the show’s officially cancelled but, according to many in the cast and crew, there won’t be a sixth season.
What can you do? Remember, the ideal scenario for DirecTV and NBC is for many millions of people to watch the show on their television sets, while it’s being broadcast. Unfortunately, ratings are put together based on a sampling of viewers. If you’re a “Nielsen household,” your viewing is being counted. If not, it’s not.
However, if you like Friday Night Lights and want to see it continue, there are a few things you can do to help.
- If you’re a Nielsen family, watch the show whenever it’s on. If not, watch it on NBC.com or purchase episodes online so your viewing will be directly counted. Encourage others to watch the show. You might know a Nielsen family and not be aware of it.
- Talk about the show with others; at school, at work, online, or wherever. Creating a buzz about a show that you’re invested in gets other people interested and might help bring former viewers back.
- Sign the petition below and encourage others to do the same.
- Purchase official series DVDs from Amazon or another retailer.
- Write to the network. Be respectful. Everyone responds better to courtesy. Tell them how much you enjoy the show, that you’ve signed the petition, and that you want to see it continue. You can use this form or, even better, write via snail-mail to: Mr. Jeff Gaspin, Chairman, NBC, 3000 W. Alameda, Burbank, CA 91523, RE: Friday Night LIghts
- Take note of the products that are advertised during the show. Write the advertisers and tell them that you appreciate their sponsoring the show and that you buy their products (if you do).
To NBC, DirecTV, Film 44, Imagine Television, and Universal Media Studios:
We, the undersigned, enjoy watching Friday Night Lights on DirecTV and/or on the NBC network. We keep coming back to this drama week after week and year after year. The acting is excellent and the stories are wonderfully engaging.
Please find a way to keep Friday Night Lights on the air. We are devoted viewers who will continue to watch the program, encourage others to do the same, and will support the series’ advertisers as well. Please keep it going, either on NBC and DirecTV or, if necessary, on another NBC-related channel.
Thank you for your consideration.
Image courtesy NBC.