No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency: TV Show Cancelled But May Return as Movies

No. 1 Ladies' Detective AgencyAt the TCA press tour, Michael Lombardo, HBO’s president of programming, spoke about the future of No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency. Though it won’t be continuing as a TV series, there are plans to continue the story in the form of two movies.

No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency ran for seven episodes on HBO, from March until May in 2009. The comedy-drama was filmed on location in Botswana and follows Mma Ramotswe as she operates a detective agency. The cast includes Jill Scott, Anika Noni Rose, Lucian Msamati, and Desmond Dube.

This weekend, Lombardo said, “We’re talking to our friends at the Weinstein Company about the possibility of, and actually developing two scripts, possibly to do two movies. And if we can get the cast together and if everything can come together we’ve love to do it. So it’s alive.”

If they get the final go-ahead, the two HBO movies would likely be shot back-to-back. It seems they won’t be filmed completely in Botswana however.

It was reported last month that the show’s producers had relocated from Botswana to Cape Town. The Botswana government, hard hit by the recession, balked at the idea of subsidizing film production while South Africa doubled their rebate offer.

If the movies are actually made, they’ll be filmed mostly in Cape Town with occasional lensing in Botswana, the locale where the story is set.

What do you think? Are you a fan of No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency? Would you like to see it return as a pair of movies?

Marilyn Souza September 13, 2014 at 10:55 am

Yes! Bring back the marvelous traditionally built Mme.Ramatswe! The show was so well done, beautifully cast, and faithful to the spirit and detail of the books it was based on. TV series would be wonderful, but I’d definitely go see any movies!

Jod8 August 27, 2014 at 1:42 pm

I read all of the books. The shows were so good,, icould’nt believe it when they stopped. Please bring them back.

Josie Anderson August 24, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Please please please bring back this show. It was the best!!!!

Gegi August 22, 2014 at 6:39 am

I held off watching the last episode because I didn’t want the series to end! Please bring back The no.. 1 ladies’ detective agency

Lori Kiecker August 21, 2014 at 10:04 pm

Please bring back the show Number one ladies detective agency.
My husband and I love it!
Thanks!!

Bambi walden August 18, 2014 at 6:47 pm

I love the program and was terribly disappointed it didn’t return. Please make it happen.

gaye cranfield August 8, 2014 at 7:49 am

I had the good fortune to watch the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, possibly the series I. I thoroughly enjoyed the series & had hoped that further series would be produced. This appears to be impossible. This is a shame as the author of the book has written many books featuring the original characters.

I live in regional Victoria, Australia therefore rarely am able to attend movies, such as the two No 1 Ladies Detective Agency that are proposed. If the films were shown locally I would attend.

Nicole August 3, 2014 at 7:19 pm

What a wonderful show! I am tired of watching reality trash. I loved this series.