No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency: TV Show Cancelled But May Return as Movies

No. 1 Ladies' Detective AgencyAt the TCA press tour, Michael Lombardo, HBO’s president of programming, spoke about the future of No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency. Though it won’t be continuing as a TV series, there are plans to continue the story in the form of two movies.

No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency ran for seven episodes on HBO, from March until May in 2009. The comedy-drama was filmed on location in Botswana and follows Mma Ramotswe as she operates a detective agency. The cast includes Jill Scott, Anika Noni Rose, Lucian Msamati, and Desmond Dube.

This weekend, Lombardo said, “We’re talking to our friends at the Weinstein Company about the possibility of, and actually developing two scripts, possibly to do two movies. And if we can get the cast together and if everything can come together we’ve love to do it. So it’s alive.”

If they get the final go-ahead, the two HBO movies would likely be shot back-to-back. It seems they won’t be filmed completely in Botswana however.

It was reported last month that the show’s producers had relocated from Botswana to Cape Town. The Botswana government, hard hit by the recession, balked at the idea of subsidizing film production while South Africa doubled their rebate offer.

If the movies are actually made, they’ll be filmed mostly in Cape Town with occasional lensing in Botswana, the locale where the story is set.

What do you think? Are you a fan of No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency? Would you like to see it return as a pair of movies?

Rolane October 15, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Everyone who watches our DVDs falls in love with this series and the actors who make it so wonderful! Most of them have never heard of it, but instantly become great fans like we are. We keep watching for more, and hope that there will be future episodes or movies. It’s such a welcome change from everything else that’s on TV.

millie toman September 19, 2014 at 2:12 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed the series, #1 ladies detect agency. We would like to see it come back as a series or a movie. Great show, great performances and beautiful scenery.

Marilyn Souza September 13, 2014 at 10:55 am

Yes! Bring back the marvelous traditionally built Mme.Ramatswe! The show was so well done, beautifully cast, and faithful to the spirit and detail of the books it was based on. TV series would be wonderful, but I’d definitely go see any movies!

Jod8 August 27, 2014 at 1:42 pm

I read all of the books. The shows were so good,, icould’nt believe it when they stopped. Please bring them back.

Carney September 23, 2014 at 7:25 am

I agree wholeheartedly with Jod8 and all those who are so disappointed that this show has been cancelled and apparently not to be revived. I am also disappointed with the BBC and HBO for walking away from this project. I would have thought that at least these networks would appreciate what a little jewel of a show this was because, compared with so many of the detective shows on tv these days, it was like a breath of fresh to watch. But apparently they were not prepared to do what it takes to attract a larger audience. Shame on you BBC and HBO!

Josie Anderson August 24, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Please please please bring back this show. It was the best!!!!

Gegi August 22, 2014 at 6:39 am

I held off watching the last episode because I didn’t want the series to end! Please bring back The no.. 1 ladies’ detective agency

Lori Kiecker August 21, 2014 at 10:04 pm

Please bring back the show Number one ladies detective agency.
My husband and I love it!
Thanks!!

Bambi walden August 18, 2014 at 6:47 pm

I love the program and was terribly disappointed it didn’t return. Please make it happen.

gaye cranfield August 8, 2014 at 7:49 am

I had the good fortune to watch the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, possibly the series I. I thoroughly enjoyed the series & had hoped that further series would be produced. This appears to be impossible. This is a shame as the author of the book has written many books featuring the original characters.

I live in regional Victoria, Australia therefore rarely am able to attend movies, such as the two No 1 Ladies Detective Agency that are proposed. If the films were shown locally I would attend.

Nicole August 3, 2014 at 7:19 pm

What a wonderful show! I am tired of watching reality trash. I loved this series.