No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency: TV Show Cancelled But May Return as Movies

No. 1 Ladies' Detective AgencyAt the TCA press tour, Michael Lombardo, HBO’s president of programming, spoke about the future of No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency. Though it won’t be continuing as a TV series, there are plans to continue the story in the form of two movies.

No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency ran for seven episodes on HBO, from March until May in 2009. The comedy-drama was filmed on location in Botswana and follows Mma Ramotswe as she operates a detective agency. The cast includes Jill Scott, Anika Noni Rose, Lucian Msamati, and Desmond Dube.

This weekend, Lombardo said, “We’re talking to our friends at the Weinstein Company about the possibility of, and actually developing two scripts, possibly to do two movies. And if we can get the cast together and if everything can come together we’ve love to do it. So it’s alive.”

If they get the final go-ahead, the two HBO movies would likely be shot back-to-back. It seems they won’t be filmed completely in Botswana however.

It was reported last month that the show’s producers had relocated from Botswana to Cape Town. The Botswana government, hard hit by the recession, balked at the idea of subsidizing film production while South Africa doubled their rebate offer.

If the movies are actually made, they’ll be filmed mostly in Cape Town with occasional lensing in Botswana, the locale where the story is set.

What do you think? Are you a fan of No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency? Would you like to see it return as a pair of movies?

Linda Osburn March 22, 2015 at 10:49 am

Please someone return to filming this wonderful story. It is one of the best ever!

Shirley March 13, 2015 at 11:17 am

Just heard radio 4’s production of our very special ladies – please please bring it back on tv. It was a joy to watch and listen to. Superb acting and delivery.

Latoya February 28, 2015 at 4:58 pm

It’s so crazy. How this show was on five years ago only one season. And people are still talking about! Come on HBO bring it back! I recent watch the season again. I forgot hOw it was. How I love to solve the case with the characters.

Linda Osburn March 22, 2015 at 10:51 am

I agree!

Nina February 24, 2015 at 6:14 pm

I’m devouring all Ladies’ Detective Agency books I can get a hold of at local library, but would love to see characters living, breathing and making me laugh.

Judith February 24, 2015 at 4:54 pm

This production is such a wonderful family friendly series. I would love to see more of a series but would be thrilled if made into movies. Excellent writing, acting and visual portrayal of Botswana.

Elizabeth February 15, 2015 at 9:55 am

So refreshing. It’s too bad we have to wade through all the other violence, and nonsensical programs. I hope the HBO movies will materialize.

Lee February 4, 2015 at 1:41 pm

I so agree with Karen’s comment this series was so entertaining and fun the characters were great I hate to see it go off the air and keep other trash on it would be wonderful if you would reconsider

sue January 25, 2015 at 5:39 am

Yes, please bring the shows back. Very good television!

Wanda January 19, 2015 at 2:19 pm

Would LOVE to see more of the No1. Ladies… Movies would be great and I’m so attatched to the characters I would love to see movies coming out continusually.

susan January 6, 2015 at 2:11 pm

waiting impatiently for more episodes or movie. this is a No.1 show. love the stars, love the books. this is good tv and there is little of that

Vic Mathis December 31, 2014 at 4:34 pm

I have read all of the books of the series #1 Ladies Detective Agency. It is a fantastic series and always look forward to another book coming out. I have also seen Season 1 of this TV series and would love to see it continue. I can’t imagine not seeing more, so please continue to Season 2, 3, 4…
Thanks!

Teresa December 7, 2014 at 7:54 pm

My mom and I enjoyed this series immensely and were saddened when it no longer came on. The plot lines were terrific. The characters hilarious , we especially loved the secretary and wondered when Mma Ramotswe would love the man (can’t remember his name) who so passionately loved her but knew she didn’t love him the same way. It was refreshing to see something positive come from Botswana. A movie would be great but continuation of the series even better!!!

Kristin December 2, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Such a great book series-and the television series is fabulous. I just found the series earlier this week & have watched them all. Bring them back as a series or movies :)

Brian November 19, 2014 at 5:44 pm

I am currently enjoying this book series and loved Season 1. I think anyone who has read the books would be very excited to the series continue and see these wonderful stories brought to life by such a great cast.

Linda November 18, 2014 at 9:15 pm

This was one of the best TV series I have seen in a very long time. I cannot believe a quality show like this was canceled and so much trash continues to air. What a shame!