Brothers & Sisters: Cancelled by ABC; No Season Six

Brothers and Sisters canceled season sixIn a somewhat surprising move, the alphabet network has cut a beloved family drama after five seasons on the air. Season six of Brothers & Sisters won’t be on ABC’s fall schedule.

Brothers & Sisters debuted in 2006 and revolves around the extended Walker family of Pasadena, California. The current season features a large ensemble cast that includes Calista Flockhart, Dave Annable, Gilles Marini, Luke Macfarlane, Matthew Rhys, Patricia Wettig, Rachel Griffiths, Ron Rifkin, and Sally Field.

The family drama was nearly cancelled last year but was ultimately renewed for an abbreviated fifth season. In light of some positive ratings, ABC ordered additional episodes, bringing the season total to 22 installments. Unfortunately, those ratings didn’t last.

Should Brothers & Sisters have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The numbers slowly declined over the course of the season but really seemed to take a dip in the latter part of the season, just when execs were trying to figure out if it was worth renewing. Rumors started circulating that Brothers & Sisters would be cancelled and then there was word that ABC was considering an abbreviated sixth season to wrap things up.

In the end, network execs decided there just wasn’t enough interest in the show anymore and wanted to use the post-Desperate Housewives timeslot for a new series.

As a result, last Sunday’s season finale will end up being the series finale for Brothers & Sisters. It’s a sad and unfortunate end for a once popular series.

What do you think? Are you sad to hear that Brothers & Sisters won’t be back for season six? Was it time for the series to end?

Wondering where the rest of your shows stand? Check our ABC cancel/renew page.

Canceled and renewed TV show

407 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Mrs Norma Booker says

I have just discovered Brothers and Sisters on SKY Box Sets.It has helped me get over the loss of my MUM 23/7/15.There are so many things unfinished HOW can you leave us wondering.If you are not going to complete story lines then you should never have started them.I will think twice before getting interested in anything on your channel again.
    VERY disappointed. Norma

2. says

NO! NO! NO! Give us an ending to season 5! I really enjoyed this show, it felt like real life scenarios. I am now left in the lurch with no end to the story. If you take something off the air at least let us have an acceptable ending we can relate to regarding the circumstances in the show, and please do not leave us hanging. If a little money is lost so be it! It’s part of business, It’s good advertising! I would become a permanent person to watch ABC if I knew the story would have some kind of an ending,

3. butter biscute says

I just discovered this show on hulu a few months ago but I’m sad there isn’t going to be a season six . I want to if Luke and Sarah have their a kid together if kitty is going to keep her baby if justin is going to stay with his new girlfriend or if Rebecca will come back if nora stays with her new guy I want to see what happens to all of them . It’s just sad:[

4. Rhaine says

I also loved Brothers and Sisters.What great actors and actresses.What’s up with all this reality tv taking over television.There are very few tv shows now that are real shows instead of reality. I’ve been waiting on netflix to see season 6 and just saw this article.I’m so saddened that their will be no final ending of this series.I’m going to miss the mom and all her kids and their fights and getting back together.It was about family pulling through thick and thin and loving one another even if they drive each other crazy.That’s what I miss being so far away from my family and im going to miss that show.

5. says

Why oh why does ABC keep kicking themselves – The Chew?? – who needs one more food show – The best quality series they have ever had is Brothers and Sisters – where do they get all of this viewer information – always wondered that – Barbara – you sure are right – I can’t watch the Kardashians – and to imagine how their show got started? Where would they be today without You Tube?? Watching Brothers and Sisters now on SOAP. Disappointed in ABC – I know money is important – but at least come up with something at least half as good as Brothers and Sisters.

6. Madhu says

I am, sadly, coming to the end of the episodes available on Netflix. I am not a huge fan of a lot of tv show, but Brothers and Sisters just had the right mix of drama, humor and family dysfunction. I enjoyed every single episode so much. So sorry that networks let go of really great entertainment for ridiculous reality shows.

7. Barbara says

I am so sad and disappointed the show was cancelled. I Love that show; I was waiting for it each week. It should never have been cancelled! I miss that show. I wish that ABC will come to their senses and re-new the show. I love the entire cast and SALLY FIELD was great!
    I am so sick of watching all reality shows! Who cares what Kardiasians family life looks like or New Jersey Wives.