Are you ready for some more laughs? Today, Comedy Central announced is has ordered three new TV shows and nine new TV series pilots.
The New Negroes is a standup comedy and musical variety series from creator Baron Vaughn who is co-hosting and executive producing with Open Mike Eagle (Michael W. Eagle II). Also executive producing are Betsy Koch, Funny Or Die, and Lance Bangs, who will direct.
Taskmaster is a new game show, starring Reggie Watts in the title role. Series creator Alex Horne serves as his assistant. Watts will judge five unwitting comedians as they compete against each other. Watts, Horne, Richard Allen-Turner, Rob Aslett, David Martin, James Taylor, Jon Thoday, Kara Baker, and director Andy Devonshire executive produce.
RELATED: Comedy Central Orders New Scripted Workplace Series, Corporate
Check out this Comedy Central press release for more about the new TV series and TV show pilots.
COMEDY CENTRAL® ANNOUNCES 2017-2018 DEVELOPMENT SLATE INCLUDING THREE SERIES PICK-UPS AND NINE PILOT ORDERS
- Series Greenlights Include Corporate, Taskmaster and The New Negroes
- Talent Includes Awkwafina, Neal Brennan, Arturo Castro, Chris Kelly and Sarah Schneider, Jak Knight, Franchesca Ramsey, Baron Vaughn and Open Mike Eagle, Reggie Watts, and Noël Wells and Flint Wainess
NEW YORK, April 18, 2017 — Comedy Central today released its 2017-2018 development slate, including three series pick-ups and nine pilot orders. The slate is headlined by series orders for scripted series Corporate; stand-up and music hybrid variety series The New Negroes; and Taskmaster, a game show format imported from the U.K. which will be hosted by Reggie Watts. The 2017-2018 slate was announced by Kent Alterman, President, Comedy Central.
“There is more high-level talent in this announcement than I could ever hope to convey in a corporate quote,” said Alterman.
Following the recent additions to its storied late night line-up, including the upcoming premiere of The President Show on April 27, a Jim Jefferies weekly late night series debuting this summer, and the addition of Jordan Klepper’s Daily Show persona to its late-night line-up weeknights, beginning in the fall, Comedy Central’s current development slate continues to open the aperture with a focus on creator-driven projects helmed by burgeoning talent who write, produce and star in their own projects including: Awkwfina, Neal Brennan, Arturo Castro, Chris Kelly and Sarah Schneider, Jak Knight, Franchesca Ramsey, Baron Vaughn and Open Mike Eagle and Flint Wainess and Noël Wells, among others.
Information on the slate follows:
2017-2018 CONTENT DEVELOPMENT SLATE
- Corporate – From Pat Bishop, Matt Ingebretson, and Jake Weisman comes a dark, edgy look at life as a Junior-Executive-in-Training at your average, soulless multi-national corporation. Matt and Jake (Ingebretson and Weisman) are at the mercy of a tyrannical CEO Christian DeVille (Lance Reddick) and his top lieutenants, sycophants John and Kate (Adam Lustick and Anne Dudek). As Matt and Jake navigate an ever-revolving series of disasters their only ally is Hampton Deville Human Resources rep Grace (Aparna Nancherla). Executive produced by Ingebretson, Weisman, Bishop, who will also direct and Jake Fogelnest. Adam Londy and Ian Friedman are the Executives in Charge of Production for Comedy Central.
- Taskmaster – Produced by Avalon Television, Taskmaster is based on the BAFTA and Royal Television Society award-nominated, internationally popular UK format. Reggie Watts will star as the Taskmaster who, with series creator Alex Horne as his loyal assistant, will judge five unwitting comedians as they compete against each other with creativity, cunning and genius in a series of stupefying tasks. Executive produced by Watts, Horne, Richard Allen-Turner, Rob Aslett,
David Martin, James Taylor, Jon Thoday, Kara Baker and Andy Devonshire, who will also direct. Kellyn Parker, Adam Londy and Jordan Ellner are the Executives in Charge of Production for Comedy Central.
- The New Negroes – Described by The New York Times as a show that “wants to do more than simply provoke laughter…Baron Vaughn and Open Mike Eagle want to challenge ideas about what constitutes black entertainment and expand the discussion about black life in America.” The New Negroes is a socially aware stand-up and musical series showcasing a collection of new and established comedians. Created, executive produced and co-hosted by Baron Vaughn, executive produced and co-hosted by Open Mike Eagle and executive produced by Betsy Koch, Funny Or Die, and Lance Bangs, who will direct. JoAnn Grigioni, Anne Harris and Kellyn Parker are the Executives in Charge of Production for Comedy Central.
(all titles listed are working titles)
- Alternatino – based on the Comedy Central digital series, a half-hour sketch show hosted and performed by Arturo Castro (“Broad City”) as he attempts to navigate life as a modern Latino millennial – whatever that means. Executive Produced by Castro and Avalon’s David Martin, Jon Thoday, Richard Allen-Turner and Sam Saifer.
- Delco Proper – based on the Comedy Central digital series, centers around a group of buddies from Delaware County, PA, who’ve worked together in the same lumberyard for years. In that time, they’ve learned one thing for sure: It’s hard to change in a town that doesn’t. Written by John McKeever and Tommy Pope, with McKeever set to direct. Executive Produced by McKeever, Pope, Eric Abrams, and Sam Saifer of Avalon.
- Home for the Weekend – created, executive produced and hosted by comedian Neal Brennan, this mockumentary-style half-hour follows Neal and a celebrity guest as they take a weekend trip back to the guest’s hometown. In each episode, things veer off the rails and pleasant strolls down memory lane take unexpected turns which reveal surprising backstories and hidden details about high-profile stars. Executive produced by Brennan, Party Over Here’s Andy Samberg, Akiva Schaffer and Jorma Taccone, along with Lindsay Hannon.
- Power Couple – created, written and executive produced by Noël Wells (who is attached to star) and Flint Wainess, Power Couple is the story of Flint and Noel, a neurotic 20-something couple in Austin, Texas navigating the existential horrors of the Internet age while constantly clashing with friends, neighbors, and the absurdity of the world around them.
- Untitled Awkwafina Project – written by Nora Lum and Teresa Hsiao, executive produced by
Itay Reiss of Principato-Young Entertainment and Lum and co-executive produced by Hsiao, this
half-hour scripted narrative focuses on a heightened version of Nora Lum, better known as rapper Awkwafina, as she navigates the underground hip hop community in Queens.
- Untitled Chris Kelly And Sarah Schneider Project – written by Chris Kelly and Sarah Schneider, features two struggling siblings who are forced to reevaluate their lives when their much younger
12-year-old brother becomes instantly famous without trying. Chris Kelly (Other People) is set to direct. Executive produced by Kelly, Schneider, Lorne Michaels and Andrew Singer of Broadway Video.
- Untitled Franchesca Ramsey Project – led by Franchesca Ramsey, the most diverse set of comedians on TV will heal America through brutal comedy, surprising guests, and breakdowns of the most pressing cultural issues you never knew you cared about. Who knew the awful truth was so hilarious? Executive produced by Ramsey, Eric Brown and Andrew Kornhaber and Kara Welker of Generate.
- Untitled Jak Knight Stand-Up Project – Jak Knight hosts an underground stand-up show featuring three comedians from different genres and a unique performance from an emerging musical artist. Produced by Den of Thieves, executive produced by Knight, Molly Mandel, Lisa Mierke, Jared Morell, Jordan Barrow, Evan Prager, and Jesse Ignjatovic and directed by Chris Storer.
- Untitled South Side Project – Written by Bashir Salahuddin, Diallo Riddle and Sultan Salahuddin, this workplace comedy is set in and around a rent-to-own business on the South Side of Chicago (where the Salahuddins grew up). All three writers will have roles on the show. The show will be executive produced by Bashir Salahuddin and Riddle as well as executive produced and directed by Michael Blieden.
What do you think? How do you like the sound of these new Comedy Central TV shows? Which new series will you check out when they premiere?