Stars from the most popular sitcoms of the past 30 years are coming together to celebrate television director James Burrows on February 21st. The NBC special will feature stars from Cheers, Taxi, Will & Grace, Friends, Frasier, The Big Bang Theory, Wings, Mike & Molly, Two and a Half Men, and Burrow’s latest TV comedy, Crowded.
The special will celebrate Burrows’ 1,000th episode of directing television since he began in the 1970s.
Since his debut on The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Burrows has not only directed countless episodes of classic sitcoms like those featured in the special. He also co-created Cheers with Les and Glen Charles in 1982.
Guest appearances for the special include Ted Danson, Shelley Long, David Hyde Pierce, Tony Danza, all six Friends, and the rare reunion of the original Two and Half Men‘s team, Jon Cryer and Charlie Sheen.
Here’s the official announcement:
THE CASTS OF TV’S GREATEST COMEDIES TO APPEAR IN NBC’S SPECIAL “MUST SEE TV: A TRIBUTE TO JAMES BURROWS”
Stars of “Cheers,” “Friends,” “Frasier,” “Taxi, “Will & Grace,” “The Big Bang Theory” and Others to Celebrate the Acclaimed Director, Who Reaches 1,000 Episodes on new NBC Comedy “Crowded”
UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif. – Jan. 20, 2016 – The casts of several of the most iconic comedy series of all time will be participating in NBC’s special “Must See TV: A Tribute to James Burrows,” which will air Sunday, Feb. 21 from 9-11 p.m. ET/PT.
Burrows is recognized as TV’s most accomplished comedy director. Burrows made his TV sitcom directing debut with a 1974 episode of “The Mary Tyler Moore Show.” He is probably best known for his work on “Taxi,” “Cheers,” “Frasier” and “Will & Grace,” which collectively earned him 10 Emmy Awards and four DGA Awards. He directed the pilots for all four series as well as for such other long-running comedies as “Friends,” “The Big Bang Theory,” “Two and a Half Men” and “Mike & Molly.”
The Feb. 21 special will celebrate Burrows’ 1,000th episode with his new NBC comedy “Crowded,” in which he also serves as an executive producer.
“There is nobody with better TV comedy instincts than Jimmy Burrows, and because of his guiding hand these remarkable shows will be forever celebrated and stand the test of time,” said Paul Telegdy, President, Alternative and Late Night Programming, NBC Entertainment. “The caliber of talent joining us to celebrate Jimmy’s accomplishments is a testament to his imprint in television history.”
Scheduled to be in attendance will be the casts of the following shows. Others may also be added.
· “Cheers” – Ted Danson, Shelley Long, Bebe Neuwirth, Rhea Perlman, John Ratzenberger, George Wendt (Kirstie Alley, Woody Harrelson in pre-taped segments)
· “Friends” – Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc, David Schwimmer (Matthew Perry in pre-taped segment)
· “Frasier” – Peri Gilpin, Jane Leeves, David Hyde Pierce (Kelsey Grammer in pre-taped segment)
· “Will & Grace” – Sean Hayes, Eric McCormack, Debra Messing, Megan Mullally
· “Taxi” – Tony Danza, Danny DeVito, Marilu Henner, Judd Hirsch, Carol Kane, Christopher Lloyd
· “The Big Bang Theory” – Kaley Cuoco, Johnny Galecki, Simon Helberg, Jim Parsons
· “Wings” – Tony Shalhoub, Steven Weber
· “Mike & Molly” – Billy Gardell, Melissa McCarthy, Katy Mixon, Nyambi Nyambi, Reno Wilson
· “Two and a Half Men” – Jon Cryer, Charlie Sheen
· “Crowded” – Carlease Burke, Stacy Keach, Carrie Preston, Mia Serafino, Patrick Warburton
Others in attendance include JB Smoove, Jason Bateman, Valerie Bertinelli, Kate Flannery and Will Arnett. Bob Newhart will participate in a pre-taped segment.”
What do you think? Will you watch the James Burrows tribute? How many of these classic sitcoms are you a fan of? What’s your favorite?