Eureka: Series Finale Ordered; Why Was the Show Cancelled?

Eureka canceled season sixThough Eureka remains one of Syfy’s most popular TV series, the cable channel cancelled it earlier this week. What’s even more perplexing is that Syfy announced that Eureka had been renewed for an abbreviated sixth season last week. They even issued a statement to assure viewers that they hoped to continue the show beyond that. Why was it cancelled?

Eureka executive producer Amy Berg shed some light on the move via Twitter, indicating that Syfy didn’t want to cancel the show but financially, Comcast mandated it. She said, “We are the network’s golden child in every way, except profit margins. Fact is, #Eureka is an expensive show to make. And we could not maintain the quality of our show with the cuts it would take to make us profitable for Syfy’s new parent company. Our creative execs at Syfy fought hard to keep us. Trust me, they LOVE us. We just couldn’t make the numbers work.”

The cast and crew were in the midst of filming the end of season five when the cancellation news came down. With such short notice, it seemed unlikely that they would be able to bring the show to a satisfying conclusion with such short notice.

Thankfully, Syfy has now ordered one additional episode so that, as Berg puts it, “we can end the series on our terms.” She indicated that she’s working on the series finale and it will be shot the week of the 21st.

For those keeping count, this means that there are 19 episodes of Eureka left; five more for this season and 14 for season five.

What do you think? Are you glad to hear there will be a true series finale? How would you like to see the show end?

Canceled and renewed TV show

266 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. says

How would I like to see this series end? That’s such a stupid question, I wouldn’t like to see Eureka end. The people responsible for this show should have had enough brains to make sure they had enough money before getting people addicted to a show they love. There are a bunch of series I would gladly give up to have Eureka back to stay, not back to end satisfyingly, there is no way to satisfy me except to keep this show on, at least as long as they kept lesser shows like, sg1, and sg atlantis and so on and so forth. I mean come on, this is wrong in so many ways. I felt like my family was taken from me when Eureka was cancelled. I will never watch anything on syfy or anything (if i’m aware of it) created by the dummies that started a series they couldn’t afford !!!!

2. JoAnn Muir says

I cancelled cable because there are 6 minutes of commercials, and 10 minutes of stupid programming, and they have cancelled any shows worthwhile watching i.e. Eureka, Firefly, Warehouse 13,

3. Dano says

I now have nothing to watch but mash reruns. Reality tv really sucks bad. Duty now plays something worthless called ghost something or other. I no longer have cable due the bad bad horrible shows being produced. Eureka was the best.

4. BevM says

Glad I canceled Comcast years ago when they raised their rates!!!!!!! And I’ll never go back to them either. How could they force the cancellation of Eureka, one of the best shows to hit the airs in recent years?!

5. Jess age 56 says

In the early 90s, I dropped cable because the area cable vendor who had a monopoly would not consider adding the newly minted sci-fi channel with mystery science theater and no real line up. The fact that Comcast wishes to have a line-up of brain dead mentally subdued programming only suitable for persons diagnosed with ADD or for background noise students have on while studying for a 4th grade algebra exam only moves me further away. I leaned further and further towards programming on demand which is the direction of the future. To advocate little or no patron loyalty has been the way of businesses over the last 30 years and look how that has worked out.

Clearly the bean counters have not taken under consideration that more and more adults are being involved in the screening of programming. I for one would rather my grandchildren watch the original little rascals rather than much of the programming executives approve with their weighted demographic and speculative trend diagnostics.

At least the little rascals is a realistic depiction of my earlier life in Alabama with home made toys and a out house. The irony is that many of the stamped approved Comcast line belongs there.

SCI-FI !!!!!!!!! TAKE NOTE WHEN COMEDY CENTRAL TRIED TO CANCEL THE COBERT AND STEWART SHOWS, MILLIONS OF US CALLED IN THE CANCEL OUR SUBSCRIPTION………

• BevM says

we’re watching it on dvd from season 1 since we missed the earlier shows. One of the best shows in recent years – and worth the cost!

6. says

Too bad the ending I saw on netflix ended with the spaceship disappearing and Allison Blake still inside. I was totally shocked there was no finale. Completely disappointed. I can understand the reasons behind the abrupt ending-finances I suppose, however discarding the series without a proper ending is not the way to go.

• Dee says

I’m so in love with the show ,I decided to watch every episode over again :) PLEASE !!!!!!! chaeck and see if another network will pick it up! This show is too good to end…. forever a fan :)

• Anonymous says

You know, I heard of two shows previously cancelled that have been renewed this year (One is 24 and I forget the other). Maybe Eureka (and possibly Firefly) will also join in that pattern.

7. heinz says

just like hero’s a great series gone to hell,
    people still watch star track how much did it take to make that,just look at Monty python
    the effects sucked it the writing ,and the people that makes the show.
    i wonder how thay feel about the show being cancled
    devorce sucks

8. Mark says

Yep, just another reason why I do not watch TV series anymore. The networks cancel shows without giving them a real ending. There should be some kind of contractual agreement that a TV series that lasts more than one season must have a valid ending. I’m not even going to buy the DVD’s. Come on network people and Comcast, get a clue.