The Baby-Sitters Club is coming to Netflix. Today, the streaming service announced they’ve ordered a new TV show based on the popular books by Ann M. Martin.
The live-action series “will follow the friendship and babysitting adventures of five best friends in Stoneybrook, Connecticut.” GLOW‘s Rachel Shukert will serve a showrunner and Broad City‘s Lucia Aniello will serve as director and executive producer.
Kristy Thomas, Mary Anne Spier, Claudia Kishi, Stacey McGill, and Dawn Schafer are back … this time on Netflix!
· Based on Ann M. Martin’s best-selling book series, The Baby-Sitters Club is a contemporary live action original series that will follow the friendship and babysitting adventures of five best friends in Stoneybrook, Connecticut.
· The family-friendly adaptation comes from Walden Media and Michael De Luca, who will executive produce. De Luca Productions’ Lucy Kitada will also serve as an executive producer. Rachel Shukert (GLOW) will serve as showrunner and Lucia Aniello (Broad City) will serve as director and executive producer. Ann M. Martin and Walden Media’s Naia Cucukov will produce. There is a 10-episode order.
· The beloved and best-selling book series is a timely story of female friendship, entrepreneurialism and empowerment. The series has over 200 books licensed in over 20 territories with more than 180 million copies sold to date.
· “I’m amazed that there are so many passionate fans of The Baby-Sitters Club after all these years, and I’m honored to continue to hear from readers – now grown, who have become writers, editors, teachers, librarians, filmmakers – who say that they see a reflection of themselves in the characters of Kristy and her friends. So I’m very excited about the forthcoming series on Netflix, which I hope will inspire a new generation of readers and leaders everywhere,” said Ann M. Martin, author of The Baby-Sitters Club.
· “For generations, young people have been captivated and inspired by the enterprising young women of The Baby-Sitters Club,” said Frank Smith, president and CEO of Walden Media. “Bringing this iconic series to life comes at a pivotal moment in Walden’s expansion into scripted televised content. We are honored to be part of this special collaboration with Ann M. Martin, Netflix, and Michael De Luca.”
· “The themes of The Baby-Sitters Club still resonate 30 years after the original book series was released and there has never been a more opportune time to tell an aspirational story about empowering young female entrepreneurs,” said Melissa Cobb, vice president of Kids & Family at Netflix. “Together with Ann M. Martin and the team at Walden Media, our ambition is to contemporize the storylines and adventures of this iconic group of girlfriends to reflect modern-day issues.”
· “The entire team at Michael De Luca Productions is ecstatic to be working with Netflix and Walden Media to bring Ann M. Martin’s best-selling book series to a global audience,” said De Luca and Kitada. “These iconic books have sold more than 180 million copies to date and now, through Netflix, they will be brought to life in a new way for audiences in over 190 countries.”
De Luca recently was nominated for a PGA Award for producing Ben Stiller’s award-winning Escape at Dannemora. De Luca was Emmy-nominated for producing both the 89th and the 90th Academy Awards.”
What do you think? Are you a fan of The Baby-Sitters Club books? Will you watch the Netflix series?