Netflix has ordered Bodkin, a dark comedy-thriller series that follows a group of podcasters who decide to investigate the murders of three people in a small Irish town. Will Forte, Siobhan Cullen, Robyn Cara, David Wilmot, and Chris Walley star in the new show.
Netflix revealed more about the new series in a press release.
“Netflix, Higher Ground, and independent studio, wiip announced the cast of BODKIN (wt) their first drama series today, which will start production in Ireland next week. Will Forte, Siobhan Cullen, Robyn Cara, David Wilmot, and Chris Walley are set to star in the seven episode, darkly comedic thriller.
Logline: BODKIN (wt) is a darkly comedic thriller about a motley crew of podcasters who set out to investigate the mysterious disappearance of three strangers in an idyllic, coastal Irish town. But once they start pulling at threads, they discover a story much bigger and weirder than they could have ever imagined. As our heroes try to discern fact from fiction – about the case, about their colleagues, and, most painfully, themselves – the series challenges our perception of truth and exposes the stories we tell ourselves to justify our beliefs or validate our fears.
· Will Forte (“Nebraska”) plays Gilbert: Charming, open, and enthusiastic, Gilbert Power is an American podcaster on the hunt for his next big story. Originally from Chicago, Gilbert’s family emigrated from Cork, and is hoping to discover his Irish roots. Gilbert loves his work, and using his undeniable charm and natural warmth to unearth the truth of a story by gaining people’s trust – and then weaving their memories, recollections and theories into an engaging narrative. While his affect is innocent and charming, it’s clear that there’s much more going on underneath the surface – something he hopes to avoid by coming to Ireland in pursuit of material for his next podcast.
· Siobhan Cullen (“The Dry”) plays Dove: Originally from Dublin, Dove is a truth-seeking missile. A hard-nosed investigative journalist with a fine-tuned bullshit detector and a healthy disdain for authority and hypocrisy. People find Dove rude, “difficult.” But she believes she just tells the truth, which makes her completely blind to her own bullshit and hypocrisy. She’s also funny. And brave. And brilliant. She can also be extremely charming and persuasive. Unfortunately, she’s in the middle of the biggest professional crisis of her career – and when you live your life as a lone wolf, your career tends to be all you have.
· Robyn Cara (“Trying”) plays Emmy: Bright, funny and eager to please, Emmy is a researcher and has been helping Gilbert organize this podcast to a ‘T’. But underneath her competent exterior, Emmy is clearly gnawed at by insecurities which she tries to hide with enthusiasm and comedy. Pulled between the sharp Dove and laconic Gilbert, Emmy’s is struggling to find her own voice.
· David Wilmot (“Station Eleven”) plays Seamus Gallagher: Seamus carries the weight and presence of a man who was physically powerful in his younger years. Mercurial and mysterious, Seamus can turn on the charm when it serves his needs, however he can just as quickly snap into outbursts of violence when he feels he is being threatened.
· Chris Walley (“The Last Voyage Of The Demeter”) plays Sean O’Shea: A local from the village of Bodkin, Sean is a typical Irish country lad – feckless, up for a laugh, and doesn’t seem to be preoccupied with the obligations or responsibilities that usually accompany adulthood. He also is wrapped up in some pretty shady business, and a situation where we come to learn he is completely out of his depth.”
More details, including a premiere date, will be released later.
What do you think? Do you plan to check out Botkin on Netflix once it premieres?