Outlander: Season One Ratings

Outlander TV show on StarzStarz was very happy with the early reception of their new Outlander TV show so they gave it an early season two renewal. The cable channel has often given quick renewals but the series are then often cancelled after two seasons. Will Starz regret giving Outlander a second year order so soon? Would it have been cancelled if they had waited?

The Outlander series revolves around Claire Randall (Caitriona Balfe), a married combat nurse from 1945. She finds herself mysteriously thrown back in time, to 1743 Scotland, and forced to marry another man to save her life. A passionate affair is ignited. The rest of the cast includes Sam Heughan, Tobias Menzies, Graham McTavish, Gary Lewis, Annette Badland, Stephen Walters, Laura Donnelly, Lotte Verbeek, James Fleet, Duncan Lacroix, Roderick Gilkison, Simon Callow, Grant O’Rourke, Bill Paterson, and Simon Meacock.

The ratings are typically the best indication of a show’s chances of staying on the air. The higher the ratings, the better the chances for survival. This chart will be updated as new ratings data becomes available.

9/25 update: Season one will resume in April 2015. Details here.

1/29 update: Have you heard that season two has been cancelled? Well…

How are your shows doing? Check the current rankings:
ABC | CBS | The CW | FOX | NBC
ABC Family | AMC | FX | HBO | Showtime | Syfy | TNT | USA

What do you think? Do you like the Outlander TV show? Do you think it should have been renewed for a second season or cancelled instead?

Kimberly Mason January 14, 2015 at 1:37 pm

How can they say it’s go costly? And Game of thrown s isn’t!
What the hell.
Most of it takes place out side and uses buildings that are already there. Their set cost is a hell of a lot smaller the G.O.T.

gail December 25, 2014 at 4:19 pm

I would like to know why they are calling the April showing the second half of the first season. They are making us wait too long. It may as well be the second season!! This makes me so mad. The show doesn’t deserve its fans if this is the way they are going to treat us. Now watch them cancel it. It would figure right in
to their treatment of the ones that make them their money! Their fans!

vicki December 26, 2014 at 9:53 am

Gail, you’re absolutely right! Fortunately Starz has ordered a second full season, it will be interesting to see if they split that 8-8 like they did this one. I watched much of the marathon yesterday, they gave fans a peace offering of sorts, http://www.starz.com/outlandercommunity/home.html
we’ll just see how “special” each video on the 4th of every month is, won’t we?

Gail December 21, 2014 at 5:59 pm

I love this show. I wish they would run the first part of series one again. I’d watch everyone of them over again. I can’t wait for the second half of the first series. The first shows were so close to the book. Very well done.

Julia December 22, 2014 at 11:48 am

All episodes will be shown back to back on Christmas Day. Check your local Starz for times.

Vicki December 24, 2014 at 2:13 pm

thanks, Julia, for letting us know, what a wonderful Christmas present from Starz! M

mizritter December 19, 2014 at 2:04 am

I heard a rumor that the second season was cancelled. Can anyone confirm? I really don’t want it to be true.

admin December 19, 2014 at 7:30 am

No, it’s not true.

Betsy November 11, 2014 at 2:03 pm

I have truly enjoyed the books and have bought each book as it came out. I hoped the tv series would be as good and was thrilled to see it. Even my husband has watched and enjoyed it. We’re looking forward to the continuation thus spring and hope they keep the series. It’s been so good that now my husband even wants to go see Scotland.

MARCIA November 4, 2014 at 10:09 am

I loved the books and am loving the series. Why do we have to wait to April 2015 for the rest of season 1?

Trish Jenkins November 2, 2014 at 9:54 am

I have read of all the books and was wary of how the show would compare but have ended up loving it and I am very disappointed that it has been cancelled. I truly hope it is renewed.

Marsha P November 18, 2014 at 8:25 am

It hasn’t been cancelled. It’s on hiatus until April 2015. There will also be a 2nd season and they are starting to write it.

Beth Rozsa October 28, 2014 at 1:03 am

I’m a fan of the show. I always talk about the show to everybody I know. In fact, after the mid-season has ended, I started reading the book. I just can’t wait that long to find out what happened after the 8th episode. I’m now on the 3rd book and oh my god! I hope there is a season 3!!!

Bridget October 27, 2014 at 2:28 am

I absolutely love this show, & hope it continues for years. It is the best thing to appear on TV in many years. Beautifully shot in Scotland with relatively unknown but brilliant actors, it has one of those rare cast of actors which have been destined to play these parts. As a fellow Scot who has lived in California most of her life, hearing well known Scottish phrases and expressions on tv has been fantastic. A definite renewal please!

Darlene October 25, 2014 at 4:32 pm

LOVE IT – LOVE IT – LOVE IT! Never cancel this show!

Louise Cusack October 20, 2014 at 1:51 am

I just adore the Outlander series. It’s so true to the feel of the books. Can’t remember a tv series I’ve been more engaged with! Hurry up April.

Sur October 19, 2014 at 9:43 pm

I have never looked more forward to a tv series than to this one. I love the cast chosen for the series and look forward to catching it again in April. Everyone is talking about how great the series is. It follows the storyline true to the books. Great job all around.

Ida October 19, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Very sad , they canceled my favorite show I love the show between the actual time in the past time Claire was a wonderful actress I was enjoying every weekend to watch that show and why they have to cancel

Vicki October 19, 2014 at 4:39 pm

???? Ida, Outlander isn’t cancelled, they’ve renewed for a second season

Donna October 18, 2014 at 9:02 pm

I love this show and definitely think it should be renewed. My husband and I look forward every week to watching it and were disappointed when it ended. Knowing we will have to wait till April to continue watching this great story unfold will be hard to do.

Rose October 16, 2014 at 3:06 am

I think OUTLANDER should be renewed. I love the historical aspect of the story built around the characters and Claire’s complicated romance. I hope OUTLANDER will remain strong for fans like me.