Outlander: Season One Ratings

Outlander TV show on StarzStarz was very happy with the early reception of their new Outlander TV show so they gave it an early season two renewal. The cable channel has often given quick renewals but the series are then often cancelled after two seasons. Will Starz regret giving Outlander a second year order so soon? Would it have been cancelled if they had waited?

The Outlander series revolves around Claire Randall (Caitriona Balfe), a married combat nurse from 1945. She finds herself mysteriously thrown back in time, to 1743 Scotland, and forced to marry another man to save her life. A passionate affair is ignited. The rest of the cast includes Sam Heughan, Tobias Menzies, Graham McTavish, Gary Lewis, Annette Badland, Stephen Walters, Laura Donnelly, Lotte Verbeek, James Fleet, Duncan Lacroix, Roderick Gilkison, Simon Callow, Grant O’Rourke, Bill Paterson, and Simon Meacock.

The ratings are typically the best indication of a show’s chances of staying on the air. The higher the ratings, the better the chances for survival. This chart will be updated as new ratings data becomes available.

1/29 update: Have you heard that season two has been cancelled? Well…

How are your shows doing? Check the current rankings:
ABC | CBS | The CW | FOX | NBC
ABC Family | AMC | FX | HBO | Showtime | Syfy | TNT | USA

What do you think? Do you like the Outlander TV show? Do you think it should have been renewed for a second season or cancelled instead?

Kitti April 17, 2015 at 9:02 pm

If Starz keeps doing seasons, I will keep watching. I am a long time book fan and I love the TV series. I have made it clear to my husband that we will continue to get Starz until Outlander is over. But once it is over, I am done with Starz.

MrsSwordman5K2U April 17, 2015 at 5:23 pm

Affair? Really don’t know the story do you? And it’s not an affair if your first Husband isn’t even alive yet.
Outlander is doing fantastic, as long as the fans of the books can keep their STARZ subs going, it’ll be just fine.
Slainte’ to Seasons 2 through 9….

LJ Roberts April 17, 2015 at 2:18 pm

18-49 demo audience???? That’s their problem; they need to open up the range. Do they honestly have no idea the appeal Outlander has for all ages. I’m 64 and can’t tell you the number of times I’ve watched each episode. The range should be 18-death!

Karen April 18, 2015 at 12:52 am

Yes they do know it appeals to an older audience, in fact about 65% of outlanders audience is 50+. The problem is most advertisers want the 18-49 demo. Luckily starz doesn’t sell advertising time, they rely on people buying the service which is probably why that have the long wait between seasons. To your point ” once outlander is over we’re done with starz”. If they gave you all 16 episodes at once, some people would cancel their subscription until the next year (or season 2) This way they get to keep the subscribers, & if they can attribute them to outlander they will keep outlander going.

Diana April 16, 2015 at 9:01 pm

I love the show, but it was a stupid idea to take the long break between episodes. Renew it, but don’t take the break and risk losing the audience in Season 2. I only got STARZ to see Outlander. I was so mad when the show went on break that I almost cancelled.

Jools April 16, 2015 at 5:07 am

Don’t they dare to cancel OUTLANDER…it is the best show on TV now . My favourite shows are the Vikings. KGame of Thrones, Madmen but Outlander beats them all .
I just wish these stupid media people would stop giving out false information.

Bev Hall April 14, 2015 at 8:41 pm

If people would just try Outlander once,they would see that it is the best written(from Diana Gabaldons prize winning books),best produced,best directed,best screen writers,best costuming,best sets and scenery, and best acted show currently running. It has a loyal fan base which is growing worldwide.Why on Earth would Starz consider not renewing for many seasons?It is unique in it’s quality and will be around for years.

colleen Moran April 13, 2015 at 6:51 am

I picked up Season One, Volume One DVD’s there is only 8 episodes….ia there a volume 2?

vicki April 13, 2015 at 12:22 pm

there will be, the next 8 are airing now.

joanne smith April 11, 2015 at 9:45 am

I find it so debby-downerish that you keep questioning whether or not this show will make it…even propagating rumors with your headlines about the possibility of season 2 being cancelled. Wassup? Did someone forget to give you a free front row seat to the NYC Premier on April 1? I think that after 7 mos of a long hiatus between the first half of the FIRST season (not a good decision on STARZ part), the opening show for part 2 of the season pulling in as many viewers as the Wedding ep is pretty damned good. There is a loyal fanbase behind this show and its going nowhere.

MaryT March 7, 2015 at 11:05 pm

I love the show and wish I could get it. My apartment building wont upgrade the cable so we can get STARZ. :( At least I can watch it with Netflix. I hate how they split the season but will have to wait another 6 months to get the rest of season 1 on disc. I hope they keep going with many seasons to come. Look at GOT…..they are on season 6? I can see Outlander going at least that long or longer!

Anonymous April 10, 2015 at 11:23 am