Friends with Benefits: Cancelled; No Season Two

Friends with Benefits cancelledThere won’t be a second season for the pals on NBC’s Friends with Benefits. The network has cancelled the sitcom after one season on the air.

Friends with Benefits revolves around a group of young Chicago friends. Their relationships are complicated to say the least as they try to find the perfect match for themselves and their friends. The sitcom stars Ryan Hansen, Danneel Ackles, Jessica Lucas, Zach Cregger, and Andre Holland.

Originally slated for mid-season 2010-11, the premiere was delayed until August 2011. It was pretty clear that the network didn’t see a future for the series as they burned episodes off two at a time during a summer run.

Friends with Benefits debuted on August 5th to a poor 0.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 2.34 million total viewers. The numbers got worse as the weeks progressed and hit a low of a 0.5 demo rating with just 1.54 million viewers.

The peacock network had one leftover episode by the time the regular 2011-12 season began and they never got around to airing the last episode. Episode 13, titled “The Benefit of Full Disclosure,” was later made available online via iTunes, Amazon and Netflix. It was the second episode directed by The Wonder Years vet Fred Savage.

To no surprise, NBC has cancelled Friends with Benefits so we’ll never find out if the friends ever found their own “happily ever afters.”

What do you think? Did you enjoy this NBC sitcom? Do you think it would have done better and have been renewed if it had aired during the regular season?

bri September 24, 2014 at 2:34 pm

Uhm so sara and ben realized they wanted eachother in episode 12 and then ben sleeps with riley. Then episode 13 didnt say anything about it they just acted like nothing happened I dont get it?

Carolina Ackles September 5, 2014 at 9:51 pm

I Loved this show! ยก!! It’s so funny & Fresh!! I love the cast!! Now I’m left hanging!!!!:={ … Netflix Bring it Back!!!!

Angelus Alexopoulos August 3, 2014 at 3:30 pm

The show was great, But like some shows the time and days weren’t right. I feel it should be renewed during the regular season on a day and time most power house shows aren’t on. Just to give it a fare chance. Or make more episodes online like they did with some other shows.

Jack July 21, 2014 at 6:28 pm

This is what happens when a network alianates entire segment of population, there is a conservative boycott of the network, and it’s cable wing msnbc. I liked the show, but my principles matter more. And so this many other shows on the peacock network are getting killed in ratings. Not that cbs or abc are any better, and I rarely watch those networks, but when Hollywood has their ears and eyes closed to 49% of the electorate, this is what happens.

Cassie July 17, 2014 at 7:28 am

I think they should renew it because everyone loves a show like this where they start off as just good friends and become more. Plus they’re canceling so many good shows and keeping the bad ones these days, not giving the ones that are ACTUALLY good a chance.

Matt May 30, 2014 at 9:02 pm

My husband never liks what I watch but he did like Friends with Benefits .
If you can get a man to watch it ,they love it .
My son in law stops what he is doing to watch it .

Donna May 19, 2014 at 2:21 pm

I can’t believe that NBC cancelled Friends with better lives. The show is so funny and fresh. I think they need to give it a new time slot, like Friday or Saturday, not much on then. Give it a chance!!

Lisa Luca May 13, 2014 at 7:20 pm

My husband and I love this show. It is hysterically funny and definitely deserves another season!

Marty April 15, 2014 at 6:36 pm

Yeah this series was painful to watch. Stereotypical characters. Predictable storylines. Everything felt forced and heavily acted. NBC screws up cancellations a lot, but this one was absolutely the right thing to cancel.

Terrible series.

Anonymous August 18, 2014 at 2:24 am

this show is incredibly amazing I’d say it’s right up there with how I met your mother I think netflix should buy the show and make it a netflix original it would get enough hype that more people would watch it and give it a chance I think a few reasons why it didn’t work is because you can’t watch this show even if they played two a week it needs to be binge watched and that doesn’t make it bad me and a lot of people I know can’t watch cable tv because of commercials and the week long interventions the last show I tried to watch on cable was Wilfred and It was still a pain in the as even though I love it so much and the actors on there are great, u might say it’s the same stereotypical plot of any romantic/comedy show but then again you can’t make it that much different from all the shows out now that go back to the basic Shakespeare shit but, rhhhggg!!! Anyway I think it shouldn’t of gotten cancelled and should be reborn on netflix and that’s just my opinion.