Fringe: FOX TV Series Renewed for Season Four

Fringe renewedIt turns out that being sent to Friday nights isn’t necessarily a death sentence. FOX has announced that they have renewed Fringe for a full fourth season of 22 episodes. Fans of the sci-fi series can relax for quite awhile now.

The news come nearly a week after Fringe posted season low ratings last Friday. On Thursday nights, opposite steep competition, Fringe was averaging a 1.9 rating in the coveted 18-49 demographic and about five million total viewers. Fans got understandably nervous when the network decided to move the series to Friday nights but execs maintained that, as long as the series kept most of its viewers, the show would be safe.

Remarkably, Fringe maintained its numbers for a couple weeks but then they started to slide, garnering a 1.3 in the demo and 3.8 million last Friday. Despite the ratings decline, the network has renewed Fringe for a fourth season — and a full one at that.

Of the pick-up, J.J. Abrams told Vulture, “Whew! And thanks to Fringe-rs everywhere!!!!” Meanwhile, Fringe executive producer J.H. Wyman tweeted, “Fringe was picked up!!!! Thanks Fringedom!”

What do you think? Are you surprised that Fringe was renewed? Are you glad to hear it? Do you think that will be the end of the show?

Linda V. September 19, 2012 at 1:07 am

My husband has taught me to like syfy. But I would have checked this one out anyway.
I’m a former Wilmington, NC resident. That’s where Dawson’s Creek filmed for many seasons. I’ve tried to keep some eyes on those young actors who worked so hard at being teenagers and young adults on that series. Joshua Jackson is really great in Fringe. It’s so nice to see these seasoned young people getting some really good work. The series hit me hard and has kept my attention. The story line always has you guessing. I think this is going to be another cult classic for FOX in the manner X-Files can never be duplicated. Good luck for everyone working on this show. I’m looking forward to the startup of the new season.

Lynda December 18, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I love this show. It caught me the first show I saw and it still has me.I look forward to January when I think the new season starts and believe the writers/producers still have a lot of excellent shows in them and for loyal longtime viewers and welcome new viewers you’re in for a great ride. Catch up on DVD, you won’t be disappointed

norma August 15, 2011 at 3:34 pm

So glad to see fringe returning. It is the best show on TV. And for all the airheads that don’t think so ,you wouldn’t know good acting if it jump up and slapped you in the face. And as for fox 8 You will be making a big mistake. With all the new tecnology with TV today most people take advantage of it. They record,DVR, go to bingo, movies, out drinking, dinner, work or what ever ,living to get back home to watch that all important FRINGE on their DVR. DON”T make that mistake for FRINGE is Prime TV for so many!!!!

Christy May 16, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Love the show.. So happy it was picked up again!!!!

cp May 14, 2011 at 12:45 am

So glad it’s coming back! Is Peter character returning also? Can’t see the series surviving without him.

Carlos May 13, 2011 at 2:27 pm

You sir (Ross) Fail… that show Fringe is outstanding!

Ross May 13, 2011 at 11:34 am

What a disaster! A struggling series renewed? It must be canceled next year!

gerry May 9, 2011 at 10:47 pm

glad fringe is coming back. heard it was in trouble, which isn’t surprising cause seems most good shows get the axe way too soon. good decision to bring this back. it’s a fun and interesting show.

t. Cooper April 29, 2011 at 12:06 am

I am 63 and watched the first fringe episode with my 13 year old gran-daughter and we both liked it. I do not watch much TV because I think most of the shows are boring. I tuned in for the next show just to see if it could keep my attention. The acting is superb Love the cast ) and it wasn’t hard to get hooked to it every week. The move to Friday-you bet I am there just like “Movie Night” it is that good.