Are We There Yet?

Are We There Yet?Network: TBS
Episodes: Ongoing (half-hour)
Seasons: Ongoing

TV show dates: June 2, 2010 — present
Series status: Has not been cancelled

Performers include: Terry Crews, Essence Atkins, Teala Dunn, Coy Stewart, Christian Finnegan, Keesha Sharp, Ice Cube, and Telma Hopkins.

are we there yet? past TV show

TV show description:
This African-American sitcom is based on the Ice Cube feature film of the same name. It revolves around the everyday trials of the newly-blended Kingston-Persons family.

Nick Persons (Terry Crews) is a former athlete who has traded ownership of his sports memorabilia shop for a job in information technology. Nick sold the business to his best friend, Marty (Christian Finnegan), who’s single and enjoying life.

Suzanne Kingston (Essence Atkins) is a professional party-planner with two children from a previous relationship; 14-year-old daughter Lindsey (Teala Dunn) and 10-year-old son Kevin (Coy Stewart). Lindsey is a typical teen who loves spending time with her friends and using her cell phone. Kevin loves playing soccer and using technology and computers.

Gigi (Keesha Sharp) is Suzanne’s best friend and co-worker. She’s unattached and loves a good party. Suzanne’s brother, Terrence (Ice Cube), works for a private security firm and is overly protective of his only sister.

Nick and Suzanne have been married for just six months and all of the family members are trying to find their way in the new dynamic. The transition’s not made any easier by Marilyn Persons (Telma Hopkins), Nick’s mother, who’s very active and not crazy about her son obtaining an “instant family.”

Canceled and renewed TV show

19 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Lisa Latimer says

Ok Ice. It’s time to get this show back on the air. I know the crew is busy with other shows, raising children, and whatever else is going on in their lives but we NEED to get great family tv shows back on the air. This was such a wholesome show that I was able to watch with my children that was not cartoons. When this show came on, my entire family would sit down together yo watch the episode. Please schedule this show to air very soon.

2. says

please bring this show back to day time tv. my family watched this everyday in the am and pm. Y would they take this show off day time tv. Does anyone not! enjoy watching clean comedy? this show helped me get through my day. i even watched every re-run. come on people. we have to fight for this show to stay on air! somebody help me! ice cube, nick, suzanne, gi gi, lindsey,kevin,marilyn and marty…i love u guys n im praying yall will stay on air!!!!!

3. James Strickland says

Yes, please bring “Are We There Yet” back with all the original cast with new shows. My wife and I watch it every day here in Orlando at 1:00 p.m.

4. Jonnise smith says

My husband and I Love, Are We There Yet. It’s refreshing, funny and the humor is very clean. ALL the CHARACTERS are funny, that’s very rare in sitcom. I appreciate Ice Cube for giving us a funny family show.

5. ITSOPRAHSFAULT says

Just watched the show where the son wanted to run for Class President and mom wanted to bake cupcakes and moms’ brother created a video that criticized and ran down his opponent (even though the son said none of the statements were true). Mom was unhappy and said this: “Obama wouldn’t do that”. This show was from 2012 and clearly
    the Obama campaign made many derogatory and false statements about McCain and Palin. Will never watch that show again.

• Anonymous says

They also scripted that the mom didn’t want their daughter, in the episode where her best friend lets men buy things for her, to be ‘gold digging, Paris Hilton, Lindsey Lohan types…you know, like white women!’

The wife also asks why her husband is ‘having dreams about WHITE women’, and in another episode, the wife tells officers to check on her car and for the person to tell them ‘she’s white’.

It’s not so much that I’m offended…truly. It’s a low quality show, anyway, and Tyler Perry can run circles around this crap; I love Perry’s shows. His makes lighthearted jokes but about everyone…

The issue with Are We…is that it’s blatantly distasteful; however, the main problem is if any other race were to say the same stereotypical crap as Ice Cube does with this show, all hell would break loose, and Sharpton would be at the helm.

I’m sure many would say, “Well, white ppl deserve it; now they know how it feels…etc.” How? Is every white person abhorrent? Do shows today blatantly make fun of other races, unless it’s to point out the error in stereotypes or just to have fun but across the entire spectrum? In Cube’s crap, all white ppl are portrayed as arrogant, wealthy, ****** and/or old…

I guess that means it’s fair to portray black people as stupid, poor, crack whores with no ability for true success? I would never watch a show that would portray that; however, you can’t move away from stereotypes and racism if those complaining about it perpetuate it.

6. Jeannie says

I was watching the show ‘ ARE WE THERE YET ‘ = “THE RAT IN THE HOUSE EPISODE”. There was statement made by Essence Atkins and Keesha Sharp while sitting at the dining room table that I find extremely offensive.

” She didn’t want young actress Teala Dunn playing the role as Lindsey Kingston to be anything like Paris Hilton,Britney Spears or Lindsay Lohan. You know ” WHITE WOMEN”.

Being a white female myself, I find nothing wrong with being white.
    That comment is very RACIST!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can’t believe that a comment like that would be aired on a television show! I will never watch this show again! Young adults raising children in a world that is racist enough,does not need their children watching shows with such racist comments!!!!!!!!

• Anonymous says

1st she was describing the white women that are now doing anything to remain relevant in the business industry, 2nd I am a white women and I teach my daughters to always respect themselves and to always think about their actions unlike Britney Spears, lindsay lohan, and especially Paris hilton. Finally get over it because it’s the truth those three women are a mess and needsee help.

7. Anonymous says

I discovered this sitcom late in the game (only this year) and I’m so sorry I missed out. I agree with another comment that it’s much better than the movie it’s based on. I find the episodes to be relatable, HILARIOUS and cleverly written. Terry and Essence have great chemistry and are believable as a couple. The kids are adorable and proving to be fantastic little actors. I really enjoy the other cast personalities as well. In my humble opinion, this sitcom has been underestimated and I personally, would LOVE to see it continue in a more prime time block. I think it is as good as any contender (African-American sitcom or otherwise) currently on TV today.

8. Anonymous says

9. Anonymous says

Love this show. Finally a family oriented show
    That’s funny and typical of family life situations.
    The kids can watch this with us without us worried
    About content. Hope it lasts!

10. DJD says

GOTTA KEEP IT GOING, PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEE!!!! I can’t go without my daily repeats, I have withdrawal symptoms already with the end of the season! Please bring it back!

11. AARON WARREN says

1st off not trying to affend anybody so with all do respect half these european american shows thats on today aint funny at all such as “how i met your mother” or “the big bang theory” their only on due to the majority of european american pull they have behind the curtain because as we all know its majority caucasion ruled so far as shows like “family matters” or “the fresh prince of bel-air” or “the cosby show” those shows were at a different time in life as where they had to break through the racial barriers and criticisms i mean hell look at “the cosby show” that was on channel 4 for God sakes and we all know channel 4 is white ruled and they hated it so much props to bill cosby so every since then they had to give us our on channels so we as blacks would never be that successful again on a white mans television channel and if you dont believe me just look at all the local channels vs the tbs and bet channel…hmmmm now you tell me, but so far as “are we there yet” it might not have been what most people had expected but neither was that “70s show “but people still gave them a chance, so in my conclusion all i can say is this…much props to ice cube keep doing your thing funny or not lets all as peolpe not seperated black from white but as one try to keep each other afloat and give each other a chance to blossom i mean hell we all waited our time with the former president bush for 8 years whats a year or two for shows thats not funny or ridiculous