Hannibal: Season Three for NBC TV Show

HannibalSoup’s on! NBC has decided to renew their low-rated Friday night series Hannibal for a third season.

Based on the Red Dragon novel by Thomas Harris, Hannibal revolves around the early relationship between FBI investigator Will Graham (Hugh Dancy) and Dr. Hannibal Lecter (Mads Mikkelsen), a forensic psychiatrist who becomes an infamous cannibalistic serial killer. Others in the cast of this thriller series include Caroline Dhavernas, Hettienne Park, Laurence Fishburne, Scott Thompson, and Aaron Abrams.

The series had poor ratings last season but the network brought it back for a second year anyway. The ratings have dropped even lower this time around (by 23% in the demo), making it the network’s lowest-rated scripted series. Still, it’s been renewed.

Word is that the show was likely renewed because of the unique deal that NBC has with the show’s studio. Under the deal, episodes of hannibal cost just $500,000 apiece, far lower than other network dramas.

What do you think? Are you a fan of this series? Are you glad it’s been renewed or should it have been cancelled instead?

Canceled and renewed TV show

69 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Gene says

If the meals were fed on a different night, say midweek, the viewers that really appreciate the program would be at home. Some systems have DEMAND on them and the feasts can be shown later and this needs to be announced.

2. Anonymous says

I am delighted to see that the series was renewed. Love to see Mad Mikaelson. Think he is exceptionally handsome and very sensuous. Plays his role very well. He imparts to the role a sense of mystery sensuality and a perverted sense of wisdom. Bravo to his acting ability he is a naturally and makes the series great to watch!!!

3. TheaMidnight says

Entranced by this show! I am waiting for the third season anytime now, NBC! There are audiences that are ready for sophisticated displays of plot, cast and cinematography and on television. Thank you NBC for the willingness to give us this compelling story.

4. Gene says

GREAT show. Will go down like Star Trek and Serenity. Kudos to the casting director. Mads is the closest person to Mr. Hopkins that could be cast. Please keep it coming. Those meals look scrumptious.

5. Carlynn Grant says

I don’t just love this show, it is a craving.. so well acted so well done so unpredictable. Finally a show worthy of ones ut-most attention. Get the popcorn.

6. LilMama Red says

I love this show and I am glad it is returning. Maybe if more people knew about the show they would watch it. I thought it was cancelled since the third season didn’t begin with the rest, so I’m just grateful its gonna keep going. Thank u NBC, maybe this will be the year the ratings skyrocket.

7. Anonymous says

I find this show gripping. The acting is outstanding, especially Mads the way he smirks, only so slightly, as Hannibal….spine tingling! The series is so well written. It’s hard to watch because it’s hard for me to fall asleep after the episodes. But, I can’t stop! Thanks for the creepy good times!

8. candi from maybee says

This show is out standing. Should be more like it. The actors are great. They are good and interesting. I have both seasons and I have watched them both back to back plus I watch both series on TV. The Hannial has such class and style. I love the ways he can hold himself together and no one suspects till the end and still get away with it. All the buildings, his office, his kitchen makes me want one. He can cook like out of this world even if it human meat. The dishes he lays out are magnificent. He walks with such style and grace. As for Will you could not have chosen a better actor. He was so believable when he was playing Hannibal into thinking he was serial killer. I am dying to see the new season. Hannibal was just as good as Anthony Hopkins as the original.