Hannibal: Season Three for NBC TV Show

HannibalSoup’s on! NBC has decided to renew their low-rated Friday night series Hannibal for a third season.

Based on the Red Dragon novel by Thomas Harris, Hannibal revolves around the early relationship between FBI investigator Will Graham (Hugh Dancy) and Dr. Hannibal Lecter (Mads Mikkelsen), a forensic psychiatrist who becomes an infamous cannibalistic serial killer. Others in the cast of this thriller series include Caroline Dhavernas, Hettienne Park, Laurence Fishburne, Scott Thompson, and Aaron Abrams.

The series had poor ratings last season but the network brought it back for a second year anyway. The ratings have dropped even lower this time around (by 23% in the demo), making it the network’s lowest-rated scripted series. Still, it’s been renewed.

Word is that the show was likely renewed because of the unique deal that NBC has with the show’s studio. Under the deal, episodes of hannibal cost just $500,000 apiece, far lower than other network dramas.

What do you think? Are you a fan of this series? Are you glad it’s been renewed or should it have been cancelled instead?

peta December 7, 2014 at 4:20 pm

It can’t come back on fast enough. Thanks NBC for renewing it. Try promoting it this time round and see what happens. When Vikings comes on again on the History channel I imagine that we will be told a couple of months in advance judging by its season premier last time.

mikey December 2, 2014 at 12:22 pm

I agree with all of those who can’t stand reality shows, they all suck. The only reality here that they are mindless. Hannibal is great T.V. It would be nice to see more shows like that, with the surreal images and strange plot twists. I guess the low ratings are due to the fact you actually have to pay attention, and use your mind to get what’s going on.

Anonymous December 21, 2014 at 8:08 am

exactly!

Katie November 24, 2014 at 6:37 pm

“Hannibal” is one of my favorite shows. It’s intriguing and one must really watch and listen to each episode in order to follow the story line. The show has incorporated all the characters revealed in the books and followed the plots laid out in the novels. Excellent work–please, please continue the series.

beth wagner November 8, 2014 at 7:11 pm

How absurd! This show is THE most visually stunning thing I’ve ever seen. Great story line. Then again, most of America is completely vacuous. They don’t even know what vacuous means. Worse yet, they don’t care! They are 100% happy with their total ignorance. Who cares about the trash from jersey shore. Give people from jersey a bad rap. F*ck the kardashian sluts. Who cares who they marry this week?!

Tracy Caldwell October 30, 2014 at 4:56 pm

I can’t believe they had low ratings last season. This is the best show ever. I can’t wait for the new season to begin.

marchelle October 24, 2014 at 11:21 pm

I love this show love love love!

Chip October 16, 2014 at 6:39 pm

This is my favorite show of all times!

ktykat13 September 15, 2014 at 11:26 pm

I am so surprised that this show apparently has low ratings…!?! WHAT?!? There is SO MUCH S**T CRAP on t.v. nowadays & this show is far superior in Every way to just about Anything else out there! Then again, when I consider the shows that are renewed season after season(i.e.-Survivor, Naked&Afraid(REALLY?!?),Jersey Shore…I could go on & on- like these brainless, ridiculous, “reality” shows seem to(which I am only aware of because of the constant-shoved down my throat-advertising for them) & these shows(& these kinds/caliber of shows) are apparently(again-REALLY?!?) what the American public-Chooses to spend their time-time that they can Never get back!…?!? Watching?!?(&admittedly(&Unfortunately) It’s Not limited to Americans-It’s Everywhere!)-However-“sticking to”-American television-A GREAT (in story-line&concept-overall)show WORTH WATCHING!!!-There is Nothing wrong with losing oneself in fantasy-I love Family Guy,American Dad,The Simpsons,Futurama-etc…ACTUAL FANTASY-FUN! What about-Desperate Housewives,Sex in the City,Star Trek,Walking Dead-All of which,btw,I’ve literally Never watched. Absolutely True Statement.-Yet I understand the desire to watch-they are All Truly Representative of ENTERTAINMENT. Here’s Another idea-Educational(while entertaining) television-The Discovery Channel, Animal Planet,The History Channel (& I’m talking whatever shows appeal to a person -from”historical documentaries” to “Ancient Aliens”)…Getting Back to “the Heart of my point”-EVEN WHEN ‘GIVING YOUR BRAIN A BREAK DON”T POLLUTE IT WITH TOTAL&COMPLETE WASTEFUL BULLSHIT!-Even in the animated series I mentioned-there are either historical or cultural or even “life lessons/morals”-or intentional lack of them-But at Least the “mindlessness” is Not TOTAL/TOTALLY UNSUBSTANTIAL…I’m not attempting to be ‘Perfect’ in my words- None of us-No matter “Who” we are is perfect-but does that Really mean we have to keep selling ourselves (as individuals OR representative of “a whole”) SO INCREDIBLY SHORT?!?- I have Not lost track of the fact that ‘this’ is all stemming from the concept of the possible cancellation of a T.V. Show- but the point I’m making-shouldn’t be lost on anyone with a BRAIN…whether ‘you’ agree with me or not…if you’re Actually (mission accomplished)…& CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Howard November 9, 2014 at 12:29 am

I just looked,,,,didn’t read yur stuff….ruff day….week…..month…..life………..?????Love the show……..I also loved….Get A Life….w/chris Elliott……..

Bill from NY September 9, 2014 at 7:51 pm

Best show on TV.

hopi September 8, 2014 at 3:45 pm

Hannibal is one of the few decent shows left on TV. The reality miasma has made me stop watching TV almost totally. Advertisers beware. NBC – advertise Hannibal. Cancel your PR department, not Hannibal.

Dave from Chicago September 8, 2014 at 9:29 am

The show has proven to be well written and thought provoking. The story lines are very unique and the cinematography adds to the suspense filled dialogue. I believe most critics applaud the series but unfortunately the general audience hasn’t supported in terms of viewership. This series is geared for those who enjoy mature content and dialogue with exceptional suspenseful story lines. I absolutely enjoy this show.

Perhaps a new time slot other than a Friday night might help increase the ratings. Don’t change the show, just the marketing of it.