Awake: Debuts March 1st, Replaces The Firm

Awake debutsAs we previously reported, The Firm has been pulled and shuffled to Saturdays at 9pm. Starting March 1st, the Thursdays at 10pm timeslot will be filled with Awake, NBC’s new drama starring Jason Isaacs.

The show revolves around a man who finds that he’s living two parallel lives after a car accident — one in which his wife (Laura Allen) survived and the other where his son (Dylan Minnette) survived.

The peacock network has ordered 13 episodes of Awake. Hopefully it’ll have more success than now-cancelled Prime Suspect and The Firm.

Here’s the press release and a preview video:

NBC UNVEILS INTRIGUING NEW DRAMA “AWAKE” TO PREMIERE ON THURSDAY, MARCH 1 (10-11 P.M. ET)

UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif. – February 3, 2012 – NBC will premiere its intriguing new drama “Awake” on Thursday, March 1 (10-11 p.m. ET), starring Jason Isaacs (“Harry Potter,” “Brotherhood”) as a detective who finds he is leading a complex double life that defies reality. The series will continue on Thursdays (10-11 p.m. ET).

“The Firm” will move from Thursdays (10-11 p.m. ET) to Saturdays (9-10 p.m. ET) beginning February 11, where the drama will resume with original episodes. Encore episodes of “Grimm” will air Thursdays (10-11 p.m. ET) beginning on February 9.

The announcements were made today by Robert Greenblatt, Chairman of NBC Entertainment.

From executive producers Kyle Killen (“Lone Star”) and Howard Gordon (“Homeland,” “24”), “Awake” is an intriguing drama about Detective Michael Britten (Isaacs) who finds he’s living two parallel lives. He’s involved in a car accident that seems to have killed both his son (Dylan Minnette, “Saving Grace”) and wife (Laura Allen, “Terriers”), yet his mind creates an ingenious coping mechanism in which he now lives two separate lives – one where his wife survived and the other where his son did.

Trying to regain some normalcy, Michael returns to solving crimes in both worlds with the help of two different partners, Detective Isaiah “Bird” Freeman (Steve Harris, “The Practice”) and Detective Efrem Vega (Wilmer Valderrama, “That ’70s Show”). Michael is assigned a different case in each reality and quickly discovers that his dual existence is actually a powerful tool. He begins to solve impossible cases by using his two realities to gain unique perspectives and link clues that cross over from world to world.

Helping Michael to navigate his two realities are his bureau-assigned therapists Dr. Evans (Emmy Award winner Cherry Jones, “24”) and Dr. Lee (BD Wong, NBC’s “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit”). While both therapists work to untangle his two worlds, Michael has no interest in proving either one is false. But when memories of the accident begin to haunt him, he is forced to confront the truth about what really happened the night of the crash.

“Awake” is produced by Twentieth Century Fox Television.

For embeddable clips from “Awake” please visit: http://www.nbc.com/awake.

Please follow us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Awake and on Twitter at @NBCAwake.

What do you think? Are you looking forward to watching Awake? Do you think it will be a ratings success?

Joyce August 25, 2012 at 12:33 pm

please keep the firm on the air it’s the best show ever

elmokikinow May 26, 2012 at 8:56 pm

I watched AWAKE for a few episodes but it didn’t keep my interest like THE FIRM. I hope you keep the latter and put it back on Thursday nights right before SCANDAL. That is my dream . . . can someone at NBC make that dream come true?

Mary Lou Madgett April 10, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Don’t cancel the FIRM. It’s a quality show ( not that that makes much difference on TV)
If you’ve already paid for 22 episodes, let us see them.

N. Robertson April 7, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Please don’t cancel this great program. It is April 7th..missed tonight’s program.

Bunny March 2, 2012 at 3:30 pm

I love The Firm. I watch it now on Saturday. I watched ten minutes of Awake and that was enough. Thursday nights used to be the great night for TV. I always watch Up all night which is very enjoyable and funny, and when that was followed by The Firm then that made Thursdays great. I have never liked Community and now that Michael has left the office I do not watch that. So, on Thursday I watch ME TV until Up all Night comes on on NBC and then I switch over to that.

When Whitney and the other comedy that comes on with Chelsea Handler on Wednesdays, I switch over to The Mary Tyler Moore show, Dick Van Dyke show and then switch over to Rock Center with Brian Williams on NBC. I usually watch Bob Newhart after Dick Van Dyke show except on Wednesdays.

LOVE THE FIRM AND SMASH ON NBC. I have never found anything to beat Seinfeld as the funniest show.

D. J. Pierce February 13, 2012 at 6:07 pm

I’m pretty sure you’ll find some filthy sex and violence show to put in place of “THE FIRM” I have no further reason to watch NBC if “the Firm” is canceled

Why February 6, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I bet the dual (or more) worlds on Fringe makes more sense than this. But I’ll wait and see before passing judgement.

Andy February 6, 2012 at 11:44 am

Sence ER left the Thursday night time slot NBC will never find a good show to replace it.

AD February 3, 2012 at 10:34 pm

So NBC cancels “Prime Suspect” for low ratings; replaces it with “The Firm” which got even lower ratings; and now we have “Awake” replacing “The Firm”. Any bets on how long this one lasts?

Samara February 3, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Looks interesting, hope it’s done well!

Kat February 3, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I think the premise of Awake is flawed in that… if he’s going crazy, then one of his shrinks doesn’t actually exist in the other — the real — world. I mean, couldn’t he start checking things in each of the two worlds to see which one’s real? Of course, if all the people in both of the worlds are real and have those occupations in both worlds, then it’ll be interesting and potentially real. Then again, if he really is being torn between two worlds, isn’t it possible that there are other things that are different, besides his wife or his son surviving? I don’t think I can watch this show, I would overanalyze it to death, heh.

Still, suppose I should give the first episode a try, see what their set up is exactly… it’s just that, after giving The Firm a try, and all the other choices the network has made, I’m not filled with a lot of confidence that Awake will be much better.