FlashForward: ABC TV Show Cancelled, No Season Two

FlashForwardThe ABC TV show about what happens in the future apparently doesn’t have one. FlashForward has been cancelled after one season.

FlashForward begins as the world’s population blacks out for 137 seconds and they “flash forward” to see visions of their lives six months in the future. The series’ ensemble cast includes Joseph Fiennes, John Cho, Jack Davenport, Zachary Knighton, Peyton List, Dominic Monaghan, Brian F. O’Byrne, Courtney B. Vance, Sonya Walger, and Christine Woods.

The series debuted in September and attracted a 4.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 12.47 million viewers. With a lot of buzz, it seemed like ABC had a hit. For week two, the ratings dropped to a still very respectable 3.7 and 10.73 million.

But then viewership just kept falling, hitting a low of a 2.1 in the key demo and just 7.1 million viewers. Then, ABC pulled the series for three months. The spin was that they would relaunch FlashForward after the Olympics.

The network gave the return a significant amount of promotion but it didn’t help. FlashForward’s ratings were even worse and they just kept dropping. They’ve gotten so bad that The CW has been beating them in the demo.

To no surprise, ABC has cancelled FlashForward after one season of 20 episodes. The series finale will air in two weeks, on May 27th.

What do you think? Did FlashForward deserve a second season? Could ABC have saved it? If given the chance, how would you wrap it up?

Sue Donim December 16, 2014 at 7:00 pm

So the ratings fell huh? Quelle surprise it was a ground-breaking show that Middle Conservative America could not deal with, it loosely has lesbian references during prime family TV time!!!, it was Sci Fi!!!. When the conservative population grows up, maybe they can be allowed to watch more grown up shows and be more open minded, until then then judgemental morons can swallow the same cak that they so mindlessly digest and feast on bland empty drama, to better their lives.

Kirsty November December 3, 2014 at 5:13 am

Flash Forward is an amazing series and definitely deserves a season two!!!! It kept me in suspense throughout and always ended leaving me wondering what was happening next. I really hope the cast and crew could get back together to make another season as i would really like to find out who was behind it all and what happens to Mark Benford.

Rachel November 18, 2014 at 9:42 am

It was more than Lost or 24. It was more than just characters accomplishing what needed to be accomplished. It was about what life means, who we are when you dig deeper and deeper, growth of characters into better people, honor and trust. Very core traits that should be in every show!

Rachel November 18, 2014 at 9:29 am

This show was incredible. Watched it on Hulu. It was right up there with BBC’s Sherlock. In my opinion it says a lot about our culture, that people prefer to watch Orange is the New Black or other wrong behavior applauded type shows than one that is intellectually complicated mixed with more right behaviors than bad behavior.
It had the complexity of Isaac Asimov’s books, excellent acting, kept moving, kept you thinking and movie quality production, with awesome characters. After that I started to watch Zero Hour and then Event. Both of which lacked in many areas when compared to Flash Forwards. P.S. I love the Mosaic concept of people putting their experiences on a we site and others connecting to that same moment. It was like a really cool version of twitter.

Della Lloyd November 10, 2014 at 5:06 pm

I can’t believe this programme was cancelled after the first season, it is brilliant. I have now watched it twice and want more.

Anonymous October 18, 2014 at 8:06 am

Screw you guys at ABC

Thomas Hudspith October 7, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Absolutely gutted this had ended watched it every week so badly wish it came back Lanch it in the UK and put a lot of advertising into it I told loads of people and they never new of it amazing series should be ‘re started

Leeanna September 13, 2014 at 8:29 am

Sooooooooo gutted to hear there ain’t a second series!!!! It’s ridiculous to have such a cliff hanger ending to series 1 and then to not get all the answers behind it all! That’s just stupid and will made less ppl watch the series. MAKE SERIES TWO!!!!!! Please!!

king n w August 25, 2014 at 3:21 pm

After watching ff season1 i felt being in a clifhanger. I really want d 2nd season. I luv Flashforward!

jo ortaga August 12, 2014 at 7:58 am

Flash forward definitely deserved a second season if only to answer all the questions it left behind – I hate tv companies that decide on a whim to cancel shows ABC are notorious for it – perhaps everyone should either boycott ABC or get together a petition to try and get FF a second season. After all its happened on other cancelled shows where enough noise has seen a return.

Jenna Gouge July 4, 2014 at 12:37 pm

THIS DESERVES ALL CAPS!! I am so disappointed to find out that the show has been cancelled. I just watch the entire season on Hulu and I LOVED IT!!!!!

Anu blunden June 5, 2014 at 5:52 am

Flash forward was brilliant & I thought the story was great I’ve just watched the series again & liked it even better the second time around , be a crying shame not to continue after such a good first series & with such brilliant actors , especially Joseph fiennes , such eye candy it’s practically criminal not to bring it back

danielle May 12, 2014 at 12:25 am

I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!!!!! I RALLY WISH SOMEONE, ANYONE WOULD BRING THIS SHOW BACK. I WAS LEFT WITH SO MANY QUESTIONS AFTER THE FINAL EPISODE!!! IF THEY WERE NOT GOING TOBRING IT BACK THEY COULD HAV KEPT THE FINAL TO THEMSELVES!!! I LOVE THIS SHOW AND KNOW IT WOULD BE POPULAR……ABC DIDNT GIVE THIS SHOW A CHANCE….THEY MESSED UP BY KEEPING IT OFF AIR FOR SO LONG AND I DIDT EVEN KNOW IT HAD CAME BACK….I HAVENT WATCHED ABC SINCE THEY DROPPED THIS SHO THATS HOW MAD I WAS AND STILL AM OVER THAT RIDICULOUS DECISION TO CANCEL IT, BUT THEY KEPT THE SHOW “V”….REALLY……SOMEONE PLEASEEEEEEEEEEE BRING FLASH FORWARD BACK…..U WONT B SORRY!!!!!!!!!